GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Acadia for two weeks, and already have two scratches on the chrome top of the rear bumper.

Does anyone know if there is a bumper guard that can be purchased??

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yup its a bad place to have chrome trim. I've got a couple scratches as well. My wife drags out our 2 seat stroller out of the back all the time. While try as she may, it's hard to always "lift" the stroller above trim.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Should really call it a chrome looking bumper, it is not really chrome, more like a mirror finished piece of plastic. BBC -That was my thought a clear piece of vinyl to protect it, although the vinyl would get marred and would have to be replaced every so often, better than the chrome looking plastic bumber ;)

·
Registered
542 Posts
I just came across a new Acadia (still has dealer plate). It had been bumbed from behind. Scuffed the bumper but also raised the chrome trim on top. It looks like the trim piece is just pushed into place. It has tabs along the edge that push into the top of the bumper. Perhaps the chrome trim would be easy and cheap to replace if it gets scratched.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have tons of scratches on the chome looking stuff on my bumper....but worse i have what looks like rust all over every chrome looking part on my 09 acadia! I have tried to buff it out with polish and it doesnt budge. Does anyone else have this problem?? I am calling the dealership tomorrow, I am not impressed!!

·
Super Moderator
21,788 Posts
decker11 said:
I also have tons of scratches on the chome looking stuff on my bumper....but worse I have what looks like rust all over every chrome looking part on my 09 acadia! I have tried to buff it out with polish and it doesnt budge. Does anyone else have this problem?? I am calling the dealership tomorrow, I am not impressed!!
And you have a right to be unimpressed, Decker. It is just chrome-looking stuff but it shouldn't have rust-looking stuff in it (on it). I hope the dealer does good by you! BTW, don't buff too hard - you'll wear away the plastic coating and really have an ugly mess! ::)

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Keith said:
I just came across a new Acadia (still has dealer plate). It had been bumbed from behind. Scuffed the bumper but also raised the chrome trim on top. It looks like the trim piece is just pushed into place. It has tabs along the edge that push into the top of the bumper. Perhaps the chrome trim would be easy and cheap to replace if it gets scratched.
Keith,
Nothing on the Acadis is cheap to replace. Everything costs- big time.

·
Registered
125 Posts
decker11 said:
I have what looks like rust all over every chrome looking part on my 09 acadia! I have tried to buff it out with polish and it doesnt budge. Does anyone else have this problem?? I am calling the dealership tomorrow, I am not impressed!!
Where are you from Decker? In Colorado they are using magnesium chloride to de-ice the roads. The stuff leaves brown stains all over the plastic chrome. I just replaced the All-Terrain gille in my '07 Sierra because I couldn't rub the stuff off. I took the new Acadia to one of those clear bra places and had the entire front (paint, chrome, mirrors, 18" hood, headlights, and foglights) covered with plastic. I had that piece on the back done also. I hope that proves worth the $600 in protection.

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
I too live in Colorado, I'm guessing people that think they have rust actually have stains from all the crappy mag-cloride they put down. I don't think the plastic chrome will actually rust, but in any case it is annoying. I also highly doubt that a dealer will replace anything and if they do you should thank them not complain that the plastic chrome is junk. Every car now days uses the plastic chrome and no matter plastic chrome or chromed wheels they all stain from the crap they put on the roads. Anyways I guess I'm done with my rant, just too be clear I hate trying to clean chrome in Colorado but I find that wax works well to keep it looking nice.

·
Super Moderator
21,788 Posts
coloradoGM said:
Anyways I guess I'm done with my rant, just too be clear I hate trying to clean chrome in Colorado but I find that wax works well to keep it looking nice.
You mountain boys ought to deal with iron-rich well water in the Coastal Plain! Now that's true rust. Made the mistake of letting the hose run onm the roof of the 'W' too long and have orange streaks running down the sides from the front gutters, across the front-side windows to the bottom of the body in front of the tires. Got any ideas about removing that stuff from glass and fiberglass? I tried hot water, cold water, Oxy-clean, Simple Green and elbow grease. None has worked so far! Billy Mays lied to me!!! :blob:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
speleos said:
... Billy Mays lied to me!!! :blob:
When you sue him, do all of us a favor & make sure you get a permanent gag order. :-X

To add one more to what coloradoGM said, the new Challenger R/T's 20" wheels are a plastic chrome cover on the wheel. A lot of people were disappointed with that.

·
Super Moderator
21,788 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
the new Challenger R/T's 20" wheels are a plastic chrome cover on the wheel. A lot of people were disappointed with that.
Really!! I thought they might just be coated with urethane-like material to give a 'lasting' polished look.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Blue, just be glad your in Florida. Our Grand Am had those crappy wheels and they looked like hell after a year.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
decker11 said:
I also have tons of scratches on the chome looking stuff on my bumper....but worse I have what looks like rust all over every chrome looking part on my 09 acadia! I have tried to buff it out with polish and it doesnt budge. Does anyone else have this problem?? I am calling the dealership tomorrow, I am not impressed!!
Claybar it off, and seal with a good sealant. That is metal particles sticking and rusting on the chrome, you will probably
also notice it on your lift gate and behind the wheels.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Copper, what is a good sealant for this sort of thing?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I used Klasse for the first time.
I am very impressed so far.
About 4 weeks and still beading water like mad.
I used it on every surface of the vehicle.
Don't use it on the bottom plastic though, it left a haze.
I'm hoping it will wear off. Funny thing, it did not affect the plastic mirrors
nor the plastic on the side rails of the roof rack. Go figure. ???

It stopped the rust deposits from accumulating,
and I noticed that junk washes very easily off the paint now, even tar.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
I used Klasse for the first time.
I am very impressed so far.
About 4 weeks and still beading water like mad.
I used it on every surface of the vehicle.
Don't use it on the bottom plastic though, it left a haze.
I'm hoping it will wear off. Funny thing, it did not affect the plastic mirrors
nor the plastic on the side rails of the roof rack. Go figure. ???

It stopped the rust deposits from accumulating,
and I noticed that junk washes very easily off the paint now, even tar.
I may have asked this before, but where do you buy Klasse? Chemical Guys?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts