GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chrome is a reflective "color" ......and today when I sat in my driver's seat heading out to lunch the reflections from the pretty chrome rings on the cup holders and the chrome trim on the ac vents (middle set)was almost unbearable. :eek:hno:

remind me to never buy any auto with chrome on the interior in the future. A brushed look would hav ehelped but it ain't as pretty.

maybe an aftermarket fix will show up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
I posted my first thread here about the same thing. But as the title of that thread states, it's the worst thing about the car in my opinion, and thats a pretty small thing as someone else stated, maybe we will get use to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
I have to see if it notice it tomorrow, taking our first trip tomorrow. Three hundred plus miles from Dallas to Wichita.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
700 Posts
I took my first extended (3 1/2 hour) drive today. At time the reflection from the chrome around the cup holders was very distracting. I need to look for someway to deal with that.

Kelly
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
There's chrome around the cupholders? Shows how observant I am. The only chrome I've found to bother my eyes is the center vents. Sometimes they catch a glint off the sun, but it's nothing serious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
kjf said:
I took my first extended (3 1/2 hour) drive today. At time the reflection from the chrome around the cup holders was very distracting. I need to look for someway to deal with that.

Kelly
How about a large coke from McDonalds or a small flower pot. :drunk: :help:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
When I first saw the Acadia the first thing I noticed that I didn't like was the chrome. I'm sure the glare can be very distracting, and although it's something you can get used to it's probably going to be one of those things that you always wish was different. Maybe there will be an aftermarket option some time in the future.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Maybe it wasn't the best design idea, but I like the chrome, I think it stands out. :) I'll just have to get some darker sunglasses. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Maybe a wide tipped black Sharpie and some masking tape????? :p
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Dan-M said:
Maybe a wide tipped black Sharpie and some masking tape????? :p
If you're going that route, electrical tape might work as well. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
boxermom said:
When I first saw the Acadia the first thing I noticed that I didn't like was the chrome. I'm sure the glare can be very distracting, and although it's something you can get used to it's probably going to be one of those things that you always wish was different. Maybe there will be an aftermarket option some time in the future.
I hope the aftermarket comes out with something. On my test drive it was the only thing that I found truely annoying in an otherwise very well thought out vehicle. The chrome rings have me seriousily considering other vehicles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
DND said:
boxermom said:
When I first saw the Acadia the first thing I noticed that I didn't like was the chrome. I'm sure the glare can be very distracting, and although it's something you can get used to it's probably going to be one of those things that you always wish was different. Maybe there will be an aftermarket option some time in the future.
I hope the aftermarket comes out with something. On my test drive it was the only thing that I found truely annoying in an otherwise very well thought out vehicle. The chrome rings have me seriousily considering other vehicles.

I'm pretty sure you will get over it once you fall in love with the rest of the Acadia. I also think they may come up with a replacement set of trim for the side vents. Maybe a contest here on the forum for the best sollution would help?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Paintscratch.com I believe is the website...they sell spray cans of paint that are the EXACT color of the car's exteriors. Not sure if they are producing for the Acadia yet, but I bought some for my last car and paint matched a few trim pieces on the interior and some other exterior parts. Now before you say, "Great let's rice up our vehicles", if you use it sparingly and tastefully you will maintain a very classy interior space while differentiating yourself from others and correcting your chrome glare problem all at once. Plus since it is the EXACT color of your car and not some cheesy bright Red or Yellow color, it will look as if it came that way from the factory. I don't know how many people asked me that with my last car. Patience and prep work are key, but the overall effect is wonderful. I highly recommend it if you want an alternative to the chrome.

Another idea, although I haven't personally tried it so do at your own risk if you choose to do so, would be to LIGHTLY sand the chrome with some extra,extra fine grit sandpaper. Since this stuff is just faux chrome look plastic, rubbing too hard will take it all off and leave it looking real nasty. However if you do it just right you can get a brushed metal effect without paying the aftermarket for all new pieces. If you do this post some pics and tips you did...but remember I am not to be held liable for giving you an idea that doesn't pan out and looks like crap! ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
Just curious...why did those of you that drove the Acadia before buying and found the glare to be an issue buy the Acadia?

I don't get problematic glare from the cupholder rims and yes, I've noticed some glare from the vent shrouds, but a "problem" -- no way.

What am I not getting here?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
894 Posts
Acadia4VA-WV said:
Just curious...why did those of you that drove the Acadia before buying and found the glare to be an issue buy the Acadia?

I don't get problematic glare from the cupholder rims and yes, I've noticed some glare from the vent shrouds, but a "problem" -- no way.

What am I not getting here?
I agree. i dont see an issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
When I made my first post it was meant as back handed compliment. I mean if this is the "worst" thing about the Acadia, then the car is near perfect. I definitely would not complain too much about it. If they came up with a gray chrome replacement trim piece for the vents I would consider it if it was cost effective. The fact that I am too tall to see the back up sensors when they illuminate is more problematic for me. But even that is rather insignificant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Acadia4VA-WV said:
Just curious...why did those of you that drove the Acadia before buying and found the glare to be an issue buy the Acadia?

I don't get problematic glare from the cupholder rims and yes, I've noticed some glare from the vent shrouds, but a "problem" -- no way.

What am I not getting here?

:beer: :beer: :beer: .......{8^]

Late afternoon sun had a lesser effect than mid day sun. I test drove the unit during late afternoon time frame.

I can live with it but will be looking for a fix for it if fesible. I was thinking of hitting it witha small soft brass wire brush. Give it a less reflective finish but maybe still have color to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
I've never noticed the glare and I've driven my car at all different times of the day. ??? Maybe it's a height thing, or maybe some are just more sensitive to it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
I noticed the vent chrome reflection on the window when I first drove the vehicle in the sunlight, but soon it was like background noise--I know it's still there, but it doesn't bother me at all.

Maybe if we just consider it "bling" we can be proud of it!!!

002
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top