GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 Acadia has horrible looking spots on the "chrome" parts of the front and rear bumpers. I believe this is not really chrome, but something else which doesn't take well to the chemical they put on the roads here in Colorado during winter. I'm disappointed in the fact that this vehicle is only a year old, and these spots won't come off...they look like rust spots.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a remedy?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have no idea. I would think that they might do something under warranty if it is still only 1 year old.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
At first I thought you were talking about water spots, but rust spots ??? anyway can you take some pics?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I know what you are talking about. Colorado uses magnesiun chloride on the roads to slow down icing. I had/have those brown spots on the plastic chrome parts on both my Acadia and my Sierra. I had pretty good luck with Mothers chrome polish. I cleaned them both up last summer. Looks like I need to do it again.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Ack! I just finished washing my Acadia after returning from spending several days in the snow at Lake Tahoe, and I noticed lots of those spots on my rear bumper right by the bottom of the tailgate.

I don't know what CalTrans uses as a de-icer, but whatever it is seems to "burn" some of the pine trees alongside the roadway as well as being the likely cause of those spots on my bumper. I don't have any chrome polish on hand, but it looks like I'll be getting some soon. Ppffffttt!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I want to bump this thread because my "fake chrome" looks like garbage. I have tried NEVER DULL, RUBBING COMPOUND, MOTHERS CHROME POLISH.

I would hate to replace parts, but its that bad!!! Let me know what you guys use

1 - 6 of 6 Posts