GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks.
First of all I want everyone to know that I love the looks, equipment and options offered on the Acadia, and I like all those things even in comparison to it's brothers/sisters, the Buick Enclave and the Saturn Outlook. I wouldn't change anything on the Acadia, save for one thing. And, you have to consider that I have already ordered my 2009 model so I want to be in this "club". :thumb: I don't want to do anything that would even take on the appearance of heresy, but I have to make an inquiry of our members. :-[ :help:

1. Is everyone really happy with the design and look of the Chrome Exhaust tips on the Acadia . . . say as compared to the Outlook for example? You know, the rounded look compared to the more rectangular shape.

2. Are the exhaust tips interchangeable between the two models?

3. What is the replacement cost of the existing chrome exhaust tip on the 2008 Acadia?

Don't get upset folks. Just asking . . . ;)

·
Registered
428 Posts
I personally like the exhaust tips on the Acadia, I suppose you could change them if you want to but it might require changing the rear mufflers on both sides. It looks like it would be hared to cut off the current tips and have enough metal to weld new tips to. It might be possible though.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Valid question but hard to answer since it's a cosmetic choice. I think I like rectangular better. I really don't know if they are interchangeable.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dfrank78, I'm glad you pointed that out to me/us. I had not even considered how the tips were actually attached to the mufflers on both sides. I think, although not having a chance to personally examine how they are made, I was under the impression that they may have been attached with some sort of pressure clamp with a tightening screw or bolt. Now that you mention it, the assembly may be permanently fixed in place (although that would negate replacing just a bad muffler by itself without having to replace a chrome tip as well). Perhaps it is welded on, as you suggest, which would just required you to remove the welds, replace with new tips (it that's what you want) and weld the new ones on to the muffler extension. ???

Hmmmm . . . food for thought. :-\

big bear craig,
I glad someone else likes the look of the rectangular tips as well. At least I'm not out here by myself. ;D

·
Registered
683 Posts
I prefer the round for the Acadia, mainly for the reason that it ties into the design element of the dual rounded taillights. As others have stated though you may need to consider replacing the entire muffler or if room allows, you could cut off the existing tip and consider an aftermarket tip that could be welded or clamped to the existing muffler. http://www.bigexhaust.com has a decent selection of universal tips to browse. I've purchased from them in the past and had great experiences. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Those "mufflers" attached to the exhaust tips are resonators. The muffler is ahead of the Y-pipe (I think). Check the aftermarket section and check out the pictures of sandmans acadia. its pretty awesome what he did with it

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Not just b/c I have an Acadia, but I have always liked the cosmetic look of the flutted exhaust tips. When you polish the fluted portion on all 4 tips, it makes the ends standout and classy looking IMO. Also if you use full synthetic motor oil over conventional oil, it also does not leave black suet over time whereby you are constantly cleaning the inside of the tips and fluted portion. Just my observation as I prefer round flutted exhaust tips. Maybe b/c had on my old 98 Grand Prix.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I think the only way to really change the look is to go with the stainless steel magnaflows. tis a bit pricy, but I can promise you that you will be able to instantly tell which car is yours (of course when you remote start it, you will also be able to tell).

·
Registered
428 Posts
Teetertotter,

I use Mobil 1 and I still get black soot on the inside of the tips. My Acadia also does not burn any oil as I do not have to add any between my 10k oil changes. I think this soot has to do more with the gasoline blend in our area and how clean it burns than anything else.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Doesn't the Acadia have a completely different rear bumper from the Outlook and therefore wouldn't neccessarily accept the Outlook's rectangular tips?

Actually I saw this question in another discussion area on this site and the next day saw an Outlook in our church parking lot and the bumper looked very different from that of the Acadia.

So it may be the bumper and not the exhaust system that is the limiting factor here. You may want to look at this aspect.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're probably right, Bseemore. I have yet to find the opportunity to compare the rear of the Outlook and the Acadia side-by-side. I did consider that the bumpers may be different, but was hoping that it would not negatively reflect a change in the look should one decide to switch out the exhaust tips. ;)

I'm guessing that changing out a bumper just to accommodate a change in exhaust tips would be impractical and cost prohibitive (or not cost effective). ???

Don't worry - I'm willing to "settle" for the exhaust tips already offered on the Acadia. ;D ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Its funny I just found this thread because I was behind an Enclave today and was thinking how much I liked the exhaust tips on the Enclave. You could always get rid of the resonators and have the exhaust shop put whatever tip you like on. It just needs to fit into the bumper. I did this with my 05 Dodge Hemi Magnum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts