GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest some type of child car seat pad to protect my leather seats? There was a thread that suggested the "Prince Lionheart 2-Stage Seat" protector. Thanks!
mritter

·
Registered
51 Posts
The problem with using these (or a towel) is that it compromises your child's safety in a car crash. They are compressed, and the previously "tight" seatbelt is slackened in a crash, which impacts your child's safety.

The only thing that has been approved is the "cabinet liner" waffle weave stuff, that prevents the car seat from sliding on leather seats (it also does provide a teeney bit of cushioning). (they look like this: http://www.doityourself.com/invt/0033050 )

I am SUPER hyper about my carseats, and have even been told by the Highway Patrol doing car seat check fairs, that they could not get the seats in better or tighter-- that mine were the best they had ever seen. They warned me about other parents who had done modifications to the car seats or the car to make it look better, but jeopardized their child. I would never add anything other than those cabinet liners.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
I have the Prince Lionhart seat protector and it is great. Protects the seat and does not compromise the security of the car seat.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I use a thin felt covered nylon on the bottom, but have always used a towel for the back. When putting in the child car seat, I precompress everything when tightening up the straps. I would think that using a towel in that manner wouldn't compromise anything. If you're compressing the seat cushioning, I can't see there being much compression of the towel in an accident. Does that make sense to anyone else?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Jeff95TA said:
I use a thin felt covered nylon on the bottom, but have always used a towel for the back. When putting in the child car seat, I precompress everything when tightening up the straps. I would think that using a towel in that manner wouldn't compromise anything. If you're compressing the seat cushioning, I can't see there being much compression of the towel in an accident. Does that make sense to anyone else?
Good point.
The seat protectors have the added benefit of spreading out the pressure from the base and rear of the car seat. One could argue the difference in a leather seat vs. a "softer" cloth seat and which offers a better fit. What if the seat was composed of the same material as a typical seat protector? Without the seat protector, a divet or dip could form in the seat and over time it could render the current tightness ineffective.

I use my weight and knee in the car seat to ensure that the seat is tightly installed. I've used both LATCH and the seatbelt to secure a car seat. The important thing to do is to pull and push the seat to ensure that it is installed correctly. A quick check should be done each time the seat is used. Things tend to loosen no matter how tight or correct the straps/belts are installed. Unless your child weighs more than the pressure used to tighten down the car seat, then the seat and seat belt will do its job.

Also as some FYI to everyone, the lower latch belts and the internal seat belts of car seat are usually only useful until a child is 40 lbs and then the car's seatbelt has to be used. The box may say up to 100 lbs, but that usually refers to the seat itself and not its belts. A select few such as certain Britax models can be safely used past the 40 lb recommendation.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
arwmommy said:
The problem with using these (or a towel) is that it compromises your child's safety in a car crash. They are compressed, and the previously "tight" seatbelt is slackened in a crash, which impacts your child's safety.

The only thing that has been approved is the "cabinet liner" waffle weave stuff, that prevents the car seat from sliding on leather seats (it also does provide a teeney bit of cushioning). (they look like this: http://www.doityourself.com/invt/0033050 )

I am SUPER hyper about my carseats, and have even been told by the Highway Patrol doing car seat check fairs, that they could not get the seats in better or tighter-- that mine were the best they had ever seen. They warned me about other parents who had done modifications to the car seats or the car to make it look better, but jeopardized their child. I would never add anything other than those cabinet liners.

Good luck.
I respectfully diagree.

I have the Prince LIonheart in both my vehicles. With my knee and body weight in the seat while tightening the LATCH system, I can get that seat like it is bolted to the floor.

I would use the LIonheart without question.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
NY_Joe said:
arwmommy said:

Good luck.
I respectfully diagree.

I have the Prince LIonheart in both my vehicles. With my knee and body weight in the seat while tightening the LATCH system, I can get that seat like it is bolted to the floor.

I would use the LIonheart without question.
I am with NY-Joe on this one, I have the Lionheart product also, it is wonderful. there was more movement with the cabinet liner on the seat the the Lionheart.
ARWMOMMY, what do you use to change the elevation of the carseat to make it level if the stand is not enough?
Doesn't the cabinet liner compress during install, won't that also just adjust during a crash? Doesn't the seat itself compress during install also?
I was unable to find anything on the NHTSA site in regards to any do's or don'ts about putting stuff under the carseat. I have sent a question the regional office for clarification.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So that Prince Lionhart doesn't affect the LATCH? It looks like it might get in the way.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
nailed said:
So that Prince Lionhart doesn't affect the LATCH? It looks like it might get in the way.
I don't recall having a problem when i put mine in. I will take photo when I get a chance and post it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
We like are lionhearts. We have them in both vehicles (4x carseats).

Wife actually totalled one of our cars that had them in as well - without the kids. As far as the backseat/kids seats, you couldn't tell they were in a car accident.

Our insurance company policy was replacement of the car seats regardless of localized damage (none past front quarter panels).

I will say, I was amazed at how much gunk was on the lionhears though...kids are a natural disaster area...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just an FYI, I like all the info ya'll are putting out about the carseats ect. I am gonna be a first time dad come June and we are registered for a Britax Marathon and a Prince Lionheart because of all the good things I am reading.

Thanks alot!! :cheers:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Britax are da bomb. I don't think you can get a more comfortable ride for little one. We didn't start using them until our first one rotated facing forward. Facing the Britax backward will inhibit access into vehicle from that door. They aren't ah...portable...

We didn't use them on the second child until we started carrying her instead of the portable baby carrier.

You may want to consider that. Moving the baby carrier from car to cart or car to stroller is a lot faster than unbuckling and rebuckling - or always having to have the portable seat on the side for grocery runs.

But for 26 & above pounds...Britax are the bomb.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I agree Britax car seats and Lionheart protector the way to go. All top notch items.

·
Registered
381 Posts
After seeing the photo, I checked and I noticed that the wife uses the lion hearts in the Expedition and the OneStep's in our Acadia. The OneStep's have a nice pocket at the bottom that we put the headphones in. They work well and easy to remove when we transport friends.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Jake_99 said:
After seeing the photo, I checked and I noticed that the wife uses the lion hearts in the Expedition and the OneStep's in our Acadia. The OneStep's have a nice pocket at the bottom that we put the headphones in. They work well and easy to remove when we transport friends.
And no safety concerns? They feel pretty stable?

·
Registered
381 Posts
There's nothing stable about them. They conform to the seat. If the the child seat is properly installed, you should not experience a problem with using them.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I previously used large beach towels (black to match interior fabric) in my SRT-4. LATCH'ed the seats in, precompressed with my knee, and checked every 3rd buckle-in. Like some have said; it was like it was bolted to the frame directly. Washed the towels whenever needed (because kids are messy; duh!).

The seats were in for almost 2 years, and after removing the towels there was formed shapes of the seat bottoms on the cushions, but these fully disappeared within a week. My rear seats after almost 4 years looked brand-spanking new.

Towels = cheap. I think we got them on clearance at Wal-Mart for $5 each. Plush cotton. Plus, we use them for the beach now. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.