Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was reading the owners manual and came across this section on page 486:

Chemical Paint Spotting
Some weather and atmospheric conditions can
create a chemical fallout. Airborne pollutants can
fall upon and attack painted surfaces on the
vehicle. This damage can take two forms: blotchy,
ring-shaped discolorations, and small, irregular
dark spots etched into the paint surface.
Although no defect in the paint job causes this,
we will repair, at no charge to the owner[/color], the
surfaces of new vehicles damaged by this fallout
condition within 12 months or 12,000 miles
(20 000 km) of purchase[/color], whichever occurs first.
----------------------
For those of you not into detailing the vehicle on a regualr basis, here is a chance to get a free detailing from your dealer, of course you will have to have this paint spotting to qualify, I would also bring your owners manual because I would bet not many dealers would know about this, unless it is offered on all GM vehicles. :thumb:

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Does regular washing at a commercial car wash with their wax applied prevent this?

·
Registered
56 Posts
johnway said:

Chemical Paint Spotting
----------------------
For those of you not into detailing the vehicle on a regualr basis, here is a chance to get a free detailing from your dealer, of course you will have to have this paint spotting to qualify, I would also bring your owners manual because I would bet not many dealers would know about this, unless it is offered on all GM vehicles. :thumb:
Could you provide a page number?

·
Registered
185 Posts
webhair said:
johnway said:

Chemical Paint Spotting
----------------------
???

·
Registered
524 Posts
pete7919 said:
webhair said:
johnway said:

Chemical Paint Spotting
----------------------
???
I'm not saying anything. LOL!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't worry Dan, I almost went back to look up the page number for you. :drunk:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TMMAR said:
Does regular washing at a commercial car wash with their wax applied prevent this?
I do not really have an answer for this, I am sure it helps but if you park your vehicle outside a lot I am not sure if this can be avoided. It is really noticable on dark colored vehicles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My deep blue Acadia definitely has this issue. You can see faint, blotchy rings all over it. I thought they were water stains. But after a wash and dry, then after I tried a little wax, they are still there.

So, the manual says the dealer will "repair" this, but the poster suggested they'll just detail it. If they are just going to detail it but need to keep the car for a day or two like every other service appt, I'll just wax it myself if that will help. But like I said, I tried one area and the spots remained. Perhaps there is a special wash to try first?

·
Registered
487 Posts
johnway said:
TMMAR said:
I do not really have an answer for this, I am sure it helps but if you park your vehicle outside a lot I am not sure if this can be avoided. It is really noticable on dark colored vehicles.
As far as I'm concerned if you go to an automatic car wash and have the wax applied, all your doing is sealing in the contaminants. It may prevent more contaminants from sticking but I still prefer to strip the old wax and contaminants off then hand wax. I don't think you can keep your paint looking good for long if all you use is an automatic wash.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
denemante said:
My deep blue Acadia definitely has this issue. You can see faint, blotchy rings all over it. I thought they were water stains. But after a wash and dry, then after I tried a little wax, they are still there.

So, the manual says the dealer will "repair" this, but the poster suggested they'll just detail it. If they are just going to detail it but need to keep the car for a day or two like every other service appt, I'll just wax it myself if that will help. But like I said, I tried one area and the spots remained. Perhaps there is a special wash to try first?
When i posted this I was going by what I read in the owners manual - I have no idea how the dealer would repair, I am assuming that the only way to repair this type of damge is with a professional detailing (polish them out) what I do not know is if they would do the entire vehicle or just the panels that there is visible damage on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old topic but....

My Acadia has some "chemical paint spotting" on the hood (3 small spots) and the roof (one spot the size of a few quarters put together) and they are going to sand down and repaint the entire roof and the entire hood to fix it. Also, they are giving me a rental car (I didn't have to ask for one) for the 3 days they are going to have my Acadia. All covered under the warranty ...completely "free" to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts