GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a replacement engine for my 2012. I had to take the right side head off so at the same time I replaced that one timing chain. I only replaced it because I had it off, I would have replaced all three but I noticed they were cloyes so had already been replaced and looked fine.

So now I get the engine in and running I have p0016 and P0017 which coresponds to the timing chain I had off. I don't know what I could have done wrong. I aligned the change based on the stage 2 timing marks and double checked it.

I really don't want to take the timing cover off again. Is there any way to check timing without taking the cover off?

The flats of the right side cams are horizontal in stage 2 timing, does this correspond to a piston at TDC that I can check?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you hear the replacement run before you got it?
No. The engine was pulled from a wreck with 130K km . They couldn't test it because the timing chain cover had a small crack, the plastic intake plenum was broken and I assume lots of damage to the car. I got it cheap becasue they couldn't test it. $400 CND including transmission, transfer case.

I believe the engine is good though. It is very clean inside, I have just had a few unfortunate problems putting it in. I had it in and running only to discover I had no compression in cyl 5 so I had to take it all apart again and take the right head off, only to discover a piece of plastic from the intake plenum was lodged under a exhaust valve.

So now after waiting for a head gasket and other parts I get it back in again and it is running fine at higher rpm but not idling well and giving the rear camshaft codes. I really don't want to take this out again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts