GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Very cool, Don. Very cool indeed. :thumb:

What part of the plant do you work in and what is it specifically that you do?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hopefully it is not the paint shop, you can not apply certain types of deodorant or use powder, must smell nice in their ;D

Just kidding, it is good to know so much thought and care is going into the production of this vehicle. Keep up the good work. :clap2:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually am the Union Appointed Co-Chair for ISO 9001 (quality) and ISO 14001 (environmental). ISO stands for international standards organization and it’s an outside company that comes in, audits us. If we are up to standard we then receive our certification. Both of these are worldwide standards and we have recently received certification in both of them.

I also participate in our layered audits. That’s where top management and union audit on all three shifts to make sure we are implementing the GMS standard. GMS stands for Global Manufacturing System and it is a very stringent set of principles we use to implement workplace standardization, team concept, practical problem solving, so on and so forth.

Every employee here at Lansing Delta Township has gone through weeks and week of training. We have even partnered with the local Community Collage. They built a brand new beautiful campus a few blocks from our facility with State Grant money. Team Leaders and Group Leaders set some specialized training. Certain people in key quality jobs get specialized training also.

I know I work here and am a little predigest, but this is a brand new 3 billion dollar facility. And it truly is state of the art. We use an ultrasound machine to measure weld strength and inferred gun to measure heat in robotic equipment. We have a particulate measurement device that can count the dust particles in the paint shop. I could go on and on.

I have been with GM for over 25 years now and I can honestly say this is a whole new direction for the corporation and it’s very exciting to be part of it. Union and Management relationships have always been good in Lansing, but we are working together like never before.

I know I sound like a commercial and I’m sorry about that, but this really is cool.

I wish you could see what I have seen. The evolution of GM in Lansing is amazing. We went from one of the oldest manufacturing facilities in the world to the most modern high volume car manufacturing facility in the world. At our old plant Billy Durant used to build the Durant motor car and then he sold it to the Fisher Brothers and they sold out to GM. Even with that old facility our workforce still produced cars that won quality awards up to the very end. We used to build the Delta 98 and 88’s. We also built the Cutlass. Our windows were painted green so that the Germans couldn’t bomb us at night during WW2. They are tearing down that old plant.

I went from that to this, wow. I don’t mean to ramble on. If you have any more questions please ask them. Thank you.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Now if we could only get the History Channel to document these cars being developed on their show, Modern Marvels. That would be very cool.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don, thank you for the info and the job you are doing up there. I am thrilled with my Acadia...have had no problems at all! It is one smooth automobile!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
don willems said:
I wish you could see what I have seen. The evolution of GM in Lansing is amazing. We went from one of the oldest manufacturing facilities in the world to the most modern high volume car manufacturing facility in the world. At our old plant Billy Durant used to build the Durant motor car and then he sold it to the Fisher Brothers and they sold out to GM. Even with that old facility our workforce still produced cars that won quality awards up to the very end. We used to build the Delta 98 and 88’s. We also built the Cutlass. Our windows were painted green so that the Germans couldn’t bomb us at night during WW2. They are tearing down that old plant.
I had one of those Delta 88's (1975). It only lasted 16 years before I replaced it!! :thumb:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a traveling job thoughout the 80's when I worked for an aluminum company. I did some extensive traveling (70 to 80 thousand miles anually) and drove Delta 88's (four or five of em I think). For the times, these were great cars...would trade em at about 130,000 miles or so and the new owners always liked em....for years thereafter. One problem tho.....never did like those cup holders in the arm rest...lol. Keep up the great tradition at lansing. ;D

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yes,
Before Crown Vics for fleet cars, I too used Delta 88's. If I remember right I had a 81, a 83, a 85 (last of the rear wheel drives), an 87, 88, then I got off the road for a few years. The strongest point of the cars was the engines, but overall good memories!
Nice to hear someone working in a U.S. auto plant being positive about what they are making! Adds to the positive Acadia experience :blob:

·
Registered
251 Posts
don willems said:
I know I sound like a commercial and I’m sorry about that, but this really is cool.
Don,

It is obvious that you are proud of what you and your colleagues have accomplished. You have every right to be proud. For what it's worth, it's always been my opinion that no one ever need apologize for that.

And thanks so much for all of your insight and taking us "behind the scenes". Everyone in Lansing is doing great work. This site and the sentiments of Acadia owners all over the country stand as a testament to that. I am equally proud to be an Acadia owner. It is without doubt the finest motor vehicle I have ever owned. :thumb:

Confucious once said, "The reward of a thing well done is to have done it". Congratulations, and keep up the great work.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THANK YOU for you comments.

But, to be quite honest, I am not alone in my enthusiasm. I just went on another tour last night and again had the chance to interview regular Joe’s on-the-line. People here are very excited about this.

We can never rest though. CONTINOUS IMPROVEMENT

·
Registered
128 Posts
don willems said:
THANK YOU for you comments.

But, to be quite honest, I am not alone in my enthusiasm. I just went on another tour last night and again had the chance to interview regular Joe’s on-the-line. People here are very excited about this.

We can never rest though. CONTINOUS IMPROVEMENT
I would guess your have arunning list of small improvments going already. I'm sure with the desire you have that you are getting more improvements than you know what to do with. Good luck with the changes and have fun.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:(We are not doing public tours YET. But we have a tour train and hopefully soon we will be starting them. The tour train is cool because you get to tour the plant when it is running and can see all the robotics working.

When we start them up I will post the information.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
That would be cool! I toured the old Fisher Body plant when I was little. It would be fun to see the difference.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's a cool plant and am gla dthey are updating as needed, but I sure wish I didn't take them 12 weeks to build my car. :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
OK. We need to pick a date for a annual pilgrimage to Delta Township, like Saturn owners and Harley Davidson fans.

The look of thousand Acadias retuning "Home" would be quite the site to see! Is there enough parking?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts