GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday at lunch I noticed that my check engine light was on. *hmph* I don't know if it had just come on then or if that's just when I happened to notice it. I'm due for an oil change and tire rotation anyway, so I called the dealership. First, I found out that my service adviser, Tony, doesn't work there anymore. Bummer. Second, the guy I did talk to told me to make sure the gas cap was tight because sometimes that will trigger a check engine light. Okay fine, we did actually fill the tank the night before, but I made the appointment anyway because of the oil change, etc. So after lunch, I checked the gas cap and it was just fine. Light was still on this morning when I left for the dealership too. So I left my beloved Acadia there and was waiting for a Hertz rental car, but they didn't open for another 15 minutes. Another service adviser offered to make things easier for me and save me a little money. They gave me a loaner. *yay* Within 5 minutes, I was out of there in a lovely little silver '09 Pontiac Vibe. Cute car, kinda chintzy interior. I'd never buy one. And while driving to work, every time I hit a bump, the back end rattled and thunked. Either there was something loose in the trunk area or the car is about to lose it's back end. Peppy little thing though.

Anyway, hopefully there's nothing serious wrong with my Acadia. I told the guy that it seems to be hesitating in drive when stopped at a light. Oddly, the RPMs don't noticeably change, but you can feel/hear the engine sputter. It's been doing this for a few weeks, so I don't know if it's related to the check engine light or not. He said it might be, just that it's worse now and caused the light to come on or something. We'll see.

And now for something completely different... I saw one of these on the tollway this morning coming to work... a Tri-Hawk. It didn't actually look very safe to be driving on a crowded tollway during rush hour.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
One thing I love about On-Star is that they can run diagnostics remotely and tell you exactly why the service engine light came on. One time while traveling it came on and they told me I got some bad gas and once I refill the light should go off. Sure enough, they were right and the light went off at the next fill up. It is really nice to have the code read for you remotely and not need to go into the shop. :)

Hopefully your car is fine!!

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GAR said:
One thing I love about On-Star is that they can run diagnostics remotely and tell you exactly why the service engine light came on. One time while traveling it came on and they told me I got some bad gas and once I refill the light should go off. Sure enough, they were right and the light went off at the next fill up. It is really nice to have the code read for you remotely and not need to go into the shop. :)

Hopefully your car is fine!!
You know, I did briefly think about calling OnStar, but I wasn't positive that was something they could do and I didn't want to call them sounding like an idiot. LOL I had to bring it in anyway. I'm far due for an oil change and tire rotation. I've been procrastinating on bringing it in. The check engine light gave me the kick in the butt I needed. ;)

I'm hoping it's fine too. I really don't need any added expenses right now.

Edit: [/color]Oh, one thing I just remembered... when I was dropping off my Acadia, the guy in front of me had an '09 Acadia SLT. I don't know exactly what it was in for, but I overheard one of the things and that was the lever for the driver's side lumbar support had broken clean off. :eek:hno: Nice to see that GM fixed that issue. ::)

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Queen Web said:
...a lovely little silver '09 Pontiac Vibe. Cute[/color] car...
There's the understatement of the month! Kinda like saying Michael Shanks is a good actor. :p

Seems like we're seeing some CEL (check engine lights) here lately. Hope it's not something going around. I had the gas cap thing happen on my 97 Trans Am.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
There's the understatement of the month! Kinda like saying Michael Shanks is a good actor. :p
*sigh* Michael Shanks. :love: It has little to do with his acting abilities. :p LOL

The Vibe is cute, there's no denying that. You just wanna pinch it's cute lil car cheeks. :D

Still no call from the dealer. Maybe they haven't had an opportunity to look at it yet. I really hope they don't give me a "we can't figure out why the light was on" excuse. :beatdown:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I "like" my Vibe, but only because it gets 28 mpg on my daily stop and go commute and the cost was less than 1/2 what I paid for the Acadia. But I would never want to travel in the Vibe. The Acadia is just a whole other class. :)

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GAR said:
I "like" my Vibe, but only because it gets 28 mpg on my daily stop and go commute and the cost was less than 1/2 what I paid for the Acadia. But I would never want to travel in the Vibe. The Acadia is just a whole other class. :)
Ya know, I took the Vibe out for lunch today. It was quite hungry. And I guess it's not such a bad car. It's comfy I suppose. The window controls are well placed. Though I was disappointed that the drivers seat wouldn't recline. We were chillin' at the forest preserve with our lunch and I couldn't even recline! LOL Oh well.

You can't really fairly compare an Acadia to a Vibe anyway. I wasn't trying to. And I didn't mean to sound like I was knockin' the Vibe. :)

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Web Raven said:
So yesterday at lunch I noticed that my check engine light was on. *hmph* I don't know if it had just come on then or if that's just when I happened to notice it. I'm due for an oil change and tire rotation anyway, so I called the dealership. First, I found out that my service adviser, Tony, doesn't work there anymore. Bummer. Second, the guy I did talk to told me to make sure the gas cap was tight because sometimes that will trigger a check engine light. Okay fine, we did actually fill the tank the night before, but I made the appointment anyway because of the oil change, etc. So after lunch, I checked the gas cap and it was just fine. Light was still on this morning when I left for the dealership too. So I left my beloved Acadia there and was waiting for a Hertz rental car, but they didn't open for another 15 minutes. Another service adviser offered to make things easier for me and save me a little money. They gave me a loaner. *yay* Within 5 minutes, I was out of there in a lovely little silver '09 Pontiac Vibe. Cute car, kinda chintzy interior. I'd never buy one. And while driving to work, every time I hit a bump, the back end rattled and thunked. Either there was something loose in the trunk area or the car is about to lose it's back end. Peppy little thing though.

Anyway, hopefully there's nothing serious wrong with my Acadia. I told the guy that it seems to be hesitating in drive when stopped at a light. Oddly, the RPMs don't noticeably change, but you can feel/hear the engine sputter. It's been doing this for a few weeks, so I don't know if it's related to the check engine light or not. He said it might be, just that it's worse now and caused the light to come on or something. We'll see.

And now for something completely different... I saw one of these on the tollway this morning coming to work... a Tri-Hawk. It didn't actually look very safe to be driving on a crowded tollway during rush hour.

The loose gas cap will actually trigger a "check gas cap" message long before the check engine light comes on. A nice feature added to the computers in recent years.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just heard from the dealership. (BTW... I really like the new service adviser! yay!) Anyway, the SEL was on because of (and I hope I got this right), a bad Exhaust Camshaft Actuator Solenoid that is located on the back of the engine. The good news is that it is covered by my 100K powertrain warranty, so it doesn't cost me a darn thing to replace! The "other" news is that they have to order it for tomorrow, so I'm driving the free Vibe for another day. No big deal. He confirmed that this bad solenoid was causing the hesitation in idle that I was feeling. I wonder if maybe this is why my Acadia sounds louder than usual too. It's just been idling and sounding so funky for a couple months now that I'd grown accustomed to it. haha

One of these days, I'll bring it back in and have them listen for that weird sound coming from the driver's side front tire area. It's gotta be something along the lines of a bum tire or a bearing going bad. It doesn't feel like the tire. It's more of a sound than a feeling of anything. I don't think either are covered by warranty, so I'll have to save a little for that trip.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bad news... just got a call from the dealership. The part that GM Tech told them to replace (that solenoid) didn't fix the problem. They're not exactly sure what is wrong, but assured me they will figure it out. They believe something is wrong internally with the engine. They're pulling the engine out this weekend and taking it apart.

OMFG ARGH!!!

My poor Acadia. It only has 54,000 miles on it!

So I'm keeping the Vibe over the holiday weekend. yay. I won't hear anything new from them until next week I guess.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Web Raven said:
Bad news... just got a call from the dealership. The part that GM Tech told them to replace (that solenoid) didn't fix the problem. They're not exactly sure what is wrong, but assured me they will figure it out. They believe something is wrong internally with the engine. They're pulling the engine out this weekend and taking it apart.

OMFG ARGH!!!

My poor Acadia. It only has 54,000 miles on it!

So I'm keeping the Vibe over the holiday weekend. yay. I won't hear anything new from them until next week I guess.
Wow that's a big jump to remove the engine; definitely let us know what the results are and good luck; I think you are the first to have their engine removed :thumb:

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Disturbing - here's to oil changes every 3K as opposed to following the OLM.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Charlene, hope everything turns out okay. Could be a defective part somewhere which will happen if out of tolerance or not assembled correctly. Over time may have broke. Your dealer seems to have taken care of you and sure they will have it diagnosed and running in no time! The engine light sure is a safety warning before something else maybe effected. Funny you mentioned the gas cap as that happened to me in my previous 98 auto. Keep ours for 6-8 years or so. Now retired, will be a lot longer than that.............
Jon

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mikemu said:
Disturbing - here's to oil changes every 3K as opposed to following the OLM.
I *knew* you'd chime in with that. And I'm still not going to change my oil every 5 weeks once I get it back.

teetertotter said:
Charlene, hope everything turns out okay. Could be a defective part somewhere which will happen if out of tolerance or not assembled correctly. Over time may have broke. Your dealer seems to have taken care of you and sure they will have it diagnosed and running in no time! The engine light sure is a safety warning before something else maybe effected. Funny you mentioned the gas cap as that happened to me in my previous 98 auto. Keep ours for 6-8 years or so. Now retired, will be a lot longer than that.............
Jon
Thanks Jon! I'm hoping that it is something that can be diagnosed and repaired as well. My only fear with them taking the engine completely out of my Acadia is that it's just never going to work the same again. I fear having a chain of problems in the future because of this. *fingers crossed* that is not going to be the case.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
<Paul Harvey>

And now for the rest of the story...

Gurnee, IL
WACD News

By Thomas Flananagan

May 24, 2009

Authorities are holding an unidentified suspect in what is apparently going to become the city's first product tampering case. According to Tom Kazansky, police spokesperson, officers received a complaint from the local GMC dealer after a woman brought in her 2007 GMC Acadia for service after an engine warning light had come on and the vehicle began to run rough. Technicians removed the motor and found a large amount of a foreign substance in the motor, which had caused it to fail.

CSI: Gurnee responded and processed the vehicle. "While it was apparent the oil hadn't been changed in a while, we did find some DNA on the oil filler cap that was not linked to the owner or anyone with normal access to the vehicle" Kazansky said. Detectives began an investigation. "It turns out the owner is something of an Internet Celebrity/Royalty and has a history of people stalking her and taking pictures of her vehicle. One group apparently represented themselves as a GMC publication and sent out some bogus magazines with her vehicle's picture in it. Our first inclination was that it was one of these numerous stalkers that had put the substance in the vehicle" said Det. Commander Mike Metcalf. "We got a huge break when we got a DNA hit from an out-of-state database, which led us to the suspect."

Using the CSI: Gurnee computer, police located the suspect at a local motel and got a search warrant in under 30 seconds. The suspect was taken into custody and interviewed. "As it turns out, he really didn't know the woman all that well, but he was upset over the lack of power the V6 motor produced. He thought by sabotaging it, the dealer would be forced to install a V8, and other owners could then be part of a class-action lawsuit so they could also get one" Metcalf said. Kazansky said the case was a new one for the Gurnee PD and the area. "Usually these cases are handled as vandalism, but based on the circumstances, we decided to charge the more serious offense of product tampering."

The suspect is being held on $32,335 bond after the presiding Judge asked the victim what the cost would be to find a replacement vehicle. "She seemed to like the Vibe we gave her- everyone thinks they are cute for some reason-, but when she found out the bond could be applied to any new vehicle, she made a beeline to the Chevy dealer where they were unloading a prototype Camaro convertible" said GMC dealer Nick Bradshaw. "I think another factor was the cross-border promotion event. GM is using Canadian actors to promote their vehicles, and this week it was Michael Shanks for the Camaro."

Attempts to reach the victim were unsuccessful. Her voicemail had a message to the effect of having a Camaro, Michael Shanks, and living happily ever after.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Web Raven said:
I *knew* you'd chime in with that. And I'm still not going to change my oil every 5 weeks once I get it back.

Thanks Jon! I'm hoping that it is something that can be diagnosed and repaired as well. My only fear with them taking the engine completely out of my Acadia is that it's just never going to work the same again. I fear having a chain of problems in the future because of this. *fingers crossed* that is not going to be the case.
The good news here is that you have the 100K warranty so really no concerns. The 3K oil change interval really does make me feel better so it's worth a few extra bucks as far as I'm concerned. Good luck getting your Acadia back on the road.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Web Raven said:
I have to be positive about the repairs...while the rest of the engine in our Acadia has 30 K on it, the heads & camshafts only have 20 K on them. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Latest update is that I will have my Acadia back tomorrow afternoon. They are putting it back together right now. Something about excessive clearance in the timing chain that was causing it to run improperly which triggered the check engine light? *shrugs* Guess we'll see tomorrow if it's running any better. :)

In the meantime, I realized after looking at the owner's manual on this Vibe, that it's actually a 2010. I've had it less than a week and I've put a lil over 300 miles on it already, probably closer to 400 by the time I give it back to them tomorrow. ;D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Web Raven- Sounds like I have found you, one of the few...We just went through the same thing **check engine light**-turned out to be excessive slack in the timing chain and the cam sensors were flagging the engine light on our 07' SLT2. They did a big tear down, I went in to see the chains when it was torn down it was un-believable, they were so loose on the cam sprockets that you could almost take them off by hand! I had the same fear of the engine being pulled, going back in, and working correctly. I was sure that we would have it back for something. And guess what? It is! But completely not what I expected. All mechanical aspects relating to the timing chain were completed and done correctly as it drives great. But, but, out of all things I thought could happen I am now dealing with a whining power steering system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At first the dealer said, its just air in lines and it will work itself out, which power steering systems should, and I completely understood. Long story short, it never went away, they have put (2) pumps on, bleed the system, put new fluid in and have used a tool designed to "burp" out all air. Still no luck!!!!! It is the most annoying whine, and it is best heard from the drivers seat, you cant even here it outside of the vehicle!! I am so frustrated! The stinkin power steerings systems on these AWD vehicles are so complex!! The dealer showed me a schematic of everything involved, the system even has its own dedicated cooler. Who knows when we will get this resolved, I hope you dont have the same issue. The fact of the matter is, it wasnt like that before, it happened because of something due to the tear down and here I am stuck screwing back and forth with the dealership on something stupid.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts