GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my wife an Acadia SLT-1 at the end of May. It's beautiful and drives well, BUT has already been in the shop 3 times for an ongoing CHECK ENGINE LIGHT.

The first time, they changed a hose, and we had it back the next day. The CHECK ENGINE LIGHT was back on in less than 48 hours.

The second time, they kept it a week, and said it was the ECU that controls the monitoring sensors. This 'cure' lasted about a week.

Then the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT returned a third time, with an additional very bad symptom - the car wouldn't move, but the engine would rev while in Drive. My wife was on a busy street at the time, but turned the vehicle off, and then restarted it. It then would engage in gear again. The Check Engine Light was still on, so she drove it straight to the dealer AGAIN. The dealer now says the tranny is shot (2-3-4 gears specifically) after 1100 miles on flat ground with no towing.

We're both very angry, unhappy, and disappointed. This may end up being a lemon law claim before it's over. It'll be in the shop at least a week while they await parts (or a whole new tranny) from GMC.

:angryfire: :banghead:

·
Registered
395 Posts
97grandcaravan said:
I bought my wife an Acadia SLT-1 at the end of May. It's beautiful and drives well, BUT has already been in the shop 3 times for an ongoing CHECK ENGINE LIGHT.

The first time, they changed a hose, and we had it back the next day. The CHECK ENGINE LIGHT was back on in less than 48 hours.

The second time, they kept it a week, and said it was the ECU that controls the monitoring sensors. This 'cure' lasted about a week.

Then the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT returned a third time, with an additional very bad symptom - the car wouldn't move, but the engine would rev while in Drive. My wife was on a busy street at the time, but turned the vehicle off, and then restarted it. It then would engage in gear again. The Check Engine Light was still on, so she drove it straight to the dealer AGAIN. The dealer now says the tranny is shot (2-3-4 gears specifically) after 1100 miles on flat ground with no towing.

We're both very angry, unhappy, and disappointed. This may end up being a lemon law claim before it's over. It'll be in the shop at least a week while they await parts (or a whole new tranny) from GMC.

What dealer? (I am also in Seabrook)

Had mine at Gay GMC last week and wasn't very impressed, so I may be looking for another shop.

·
Registered
165 Posts
jseck2 said:
97grandcaravan said:

Had mine at Gay GMC last week and wasn't very impressed, so I may be looking for another shop.
My sister in law used to live in Seabrook. I think they still have a trailer there somewhere. I grew up on that side of Houston near Almeda Mall. When we were kids we would go to Galveston and pass by Gay Pontiac/GMC. My sister and I used to snicker b/c the name was "Gay."

Have you looked at our Texas page http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=671.0. Maybe that will cheer you up.

Sorry to hear about the tranny problems. That's a bummer.

·
Registered
123 Posts
97grandcaravan said:

i think you have a lemon and im sorry to hear about all your troubles. here in california 3 times for samething w/in first year (lemon)... i wouldnt let them replace the transmission, i would make them replace the entire car and pay for a rental while i await my order. this car definitly slipped through the cracks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My understanding of the Texas Lemon Law is that it has a '4 Strike Provision' to fix the problem over 24 months/24,000 miles. We're at 3 strikes now, after less than 2 months and 1100 miles...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jseck2 said:

Ron Carter in Alvin, which is where we purchased the vehicle. They've been very cooperative, but clearly they misdiagnosed the problem at least twice.

Small world, finding another Acadia owner online in a town of 10,000!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE: Acadia has been in the shop for entire week. After receiving and installing the transmission parts, they fired up the Acadia only to find the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT on again. This time the code tells them it's an electrical issue. The electrical tech is out until next Tuesday, so looks like another week with the Acadia. That'll be about 4 weeks in the shop for 8 weeks of ownership.

Time to have a LONG talk with both GM and the Dealership. This is a nightmare. :banghead:

97grandcaravan said:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Wow....I am very interested to see how Ron Carter handles this, as this is the dealer we were thinking about working with to get our Acadia this Fall. I live up the street from Seabrook (closer to NASA).

Sounds like a brand new Acadia may be called for here... please let us know what happens.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles, whish there was something I could do to help. Not being there to see whats going on, I can't really offer any advice, other than to keep in touch with dealer/management and GM and document EVERYTHING. With the Acadia being a brand new chassis and being equipped with a brand new transmission, unfortunately, its a learning experience for many.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update. The Acadia is still in the shop for the 3rd time. This time it has been in for more than 3 weeks.

GMC (Ron Carter in Alvin) replaced a transmission part documented in a TSB (sorry don't have the details on which TSB or which part), and took it for a test drive. It went 1/2 mile and had to be towed back into the shop. They now have a TCU (transmission control unit) on order. This is their latest 'theory' on root cause analysis.

For those of you scoring at home, this vehicle has been in the shop much more than on the road. Here's to hoping the rest of you Acadia owners have more success and reliablity with this transmission.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I agree with the lemon law you need to check the facts in your state. In kansas it is about 3 strikes for the same major issue and they either get the car back or you get a new one either cash or new vechile.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I guess I would have requested the dealer to contact the GM area REP to meet you at the dealership and go over work that has been done and ask the Rep how GM is going to reimburse you with a new vehicle. What will go wrong with it next? If the GM Rep does not give you satisfaction, then file the lemon law if you have one in your state. The GM Rep will be there within a week. IMO with experience from Chrysler. Sorry to hear about those that have engine lights go on as can mean a multitude of things the service department has to grab straws and have factory figure out. Sometimes is process of illimination to correct the problem while you are waiting. Do what you think is best to get results as there are mechanics and mechanics and mechanics. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
I had issues with my Passat at 1000 miles.

If it goes in for the same problem 3 times and they attempt to fix and don't, it can be lemoned.

If it's in the shop for 30 days with the same issue,, it can be lemoned.

Get the case number and contact GMC. Tell them to review the case and threaten toget a lawyer to handle the lemon law. Before it goes to arbitration they would want to settle.

That is what appened with VW.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FINAL (?) UPDATE ON THE TRANNY ISSUES: After a LONNNGGGGG 3rd visit to Ron Carter GMC in Alvin, the TCU was replaced. We've driven it 2,000 miles since then, without incident. We've doubled the odometer reading from 2K to 4K miles. No sign of tranny trouble or hesitation. :thumb:

So far so good, and my wife is regaining confidence in her new vehicle. I think it's finally safe to sell (or donate) the '97 GC setting in the driveway.

97grandcaravan said:
Update. The Acadia is still in the shop for the 3rd time. This time it has been in for more than 3 weeks.

GMC (Ron Carter in Alvin) replaced a transmission part documented in a TSB (sorry don't have the details on which TSB or which part), and took it for a test drive. It went 1/2 mile and had to be towed back into the shop. They now have a TCU (transmission control unit) on order. This is their latest 'theory' on root cause analysis.

For those of you scoring at home, this vehicle has been in the shop much more than on the road. Here's to hoping the rest of you Acadia owners have more success and reliablity with this transmission.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
You must have the patience of a saint. I would have told them to take that Acadia, it's transmission and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Having said that... I'm glad that it's fixed and you're now enjoying your Acadia! I can't imagine the frustration of purchasing a new vehicle and having all those problems with it. I'd be livid.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is probably my last post on here. I didn't realize I never kept the forum up to date with our odyssey of troubles over 6 years, and 95K miles of ownership.
We ended up having FOUR complete transmission rebuilds due the infamous 3-5-R Wave Plate problem over those six years.

This vehicle was in Houston - flat terrain, and never towed anything. It also had a transmission cooler (towing package) in case we ever did decide to tow.
On one of the rebuilds, the dealer said we had and issue with one of the cylinder heads, and replaced it under warranty. Thank goodness we were under warranty at that time.
A simultaneous engine + tranny rebuild, out-of-pocket, would have cost a fortune!

My wife loved everything about the Acadia, except for the fact that it blew a tranny about every 18 months, and grew to fear being stranded.
Somehow all 5 of our ski trips from Texas to Colorado in the Acadia were in between tranny detonations and the rebuild cycles, so all of our breakdowns were local.

Looking back to 2007, we made a decision for the Acadia over a Mazda CX-9 (with an Aisin transmission). I wonder how that alternative would have turned out.
Now my wife drives a Mazda CX-5 (with an Aisin transmission). So far it's been a nice change. City mileage well north of 20MPG, with great handling and performance from the 2.5L.

In any event, I wish you all better luck with your Acadia than we had. It's a very nicely designed vehicle with a very weak achille's heal (GM's 6T70 transmission). :cheers:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
97grandcaravan said:
This is probably my last post on here. I didn't realize I never kept the forum up to date with our odyssey of troubles over 6 years, and 95K miles of ownership.
We ended up having FOUR complete transmission rebuilds due the infamous 3-5-R Wave Plate problem over those six years.

This vehicle was in Houston - flat terrain, and never towed anything. It also had a transmission cooler (towing package) in case we ever did decide to tow.
On one of the rebuilds, the dealer said we had and issue with one of the cylinder heads, and replaced it under warranty. Thank goodness we were under warranty at that time.
A simultaneous engine + tranny rebuild, out-of-pocket, would have cost a fortune!

My wife loved everything about the Acadia, except for the fact that it blew a tranny about every 18 months, and grew to fear being stranded.
Somehow all 5 of our ski trips from Texas to Colorado in the Acadia were in between tranny detonations and the rebuild cycles, so all of our breakdowns were local.
The truth is, the Acadia is not a very good vehicle overall. Seems to be hit or miss with finding a reliable one.
All said, I NEVER endorse or recommend this vehicle when people ask about it. Now that I'm driving with three
children under three years of age, my worries are greater. Obviously being stranded at this point would be a nightmare.
It is a shame that we must have an impending transmission issue like this in the back of our minds. When ever we set out on trips, I always wonder
if this will be the time the tranny goes out. Oh well, future buyers beware [/color] [/color] !!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wow sorry to hear you went through 4 transmissions. Do you mind me asking why you kept it so long? My '08 is in the shop again. First transmission went at 60k miles just outside of the warranty. I am just barely under 5k and it seems to be going again! I can't trust it anymore even if they say its fixed. Both times it has happened out of state with my 2 kids the first time and just recently with both kids and my brand new baby this time. It's getting traded off asap! :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
avalek said:
Wow sorry to hear you went through 4 transmissions. Do you mind me asking why you kept it so long? My '08 is in the shop again. First transmission went at 60k miles just outside of the warranty. I am just barely under 5k and it seems to be going again! I can't trust it anymore even if they say its fixed. Both times it has happened out of state with my 2 kids the first time and just recently with both kids and my brand new baby this time. It's getting traded off asap! :(
To GM's credit, they kept repairing the transmission at their cost (minus a deductible), and pledged to do so until 100K miles. At 95K miles, and with the transmission slipping again, we'd had enough. We generally run our cars to well over 100K miles. My current '07 Camry is at 178K an counting, and my wife's '97 Grand Caravan had 152K when we traded it in for the Acadia.

We've now had our 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring for 15K miles, and it's averaged just over 25MPG in mixed driving. It doesn't have the room of the Acadia, but it has met our needs except for last season's ski trip from TX to CO (when we rented a Chrysler Town & Country).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.