GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have test drove an 07, the 08, and now the 09. I am planning on finally getting an 09. Love the car and all its features. The one thing that bothers me the most is the cheap plastic on the doors and the dash. For what the car costs, I think this is ridicules. The more I look at it, the madder I get. I was wondering what others thought about this. Any comments? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have seen this exact soft plastic "basketball" looking dash in many cars now, even some of the top end ones. It seems to be a trend. After having ours for 1 year now, I really like the interior and the dash material.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree. I've grown to like the textured surface on the dash, and the interior overall.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It feels hard too me. Not soft at all. Furthermore, it will scuff very easily. I have seen new Acadias on the lot that were scuffed up from people test driving them. And alot of those scuff marks will not come out. And were right about it collecting dirt. I hadn't thought about that. That settles it. I am not buy it............................Not really, but it makes me mad. I mean, really take a look at the plastic in the doors. Feel it and really look at it. It is cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap. Did I say cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I think it looks better than most cars on the market-IMO.

·
Registered
134 Posts
hahaha... did you say Cheap??? ;D
I think you'll have to just get used to it. I also see a trend in using this material. The 2004 Nissan Titan I traded in had the same material on the dash. The door panels however used somewhat of a softer similar looking material. Considering the frustration you show, I may not want to suggest you buying the acadia.. You might go :angryfire: NUTTS one day! I'd hate to see a report on the news... "man goes nutts due to the material used on the GMC Acadia" hahhaa.. j/k Really after a while it grows on ya! it'll just remind you every so often. When you wipe your dashboard clean..

·
Registered
75 Posts
I mentioned this in another post, but might be worth mentioning again. I just took delivery of our '09 Acadia, and one of the first things I did was do all of the interior trim with 1z Cockpt Premium. It has some anti-static properties in it to help repel dust from building up. Don't get me wrong, sooner or later your dash and other trim will get dusty, but it helps prolong this from happening. It leaves a nice matte finsih on the trim and is not "greasy" at all. Just helps make it look new again.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wasn't that phrase used during the Battle of the Bulge - Nutts! when asked to surrender by the Germans during WWII? Has it comes to this? Surrender to GM over cheap plastic or stand your ground and go nuts?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Skyhawk, just be glad they aren't using the same grade of interior materials that GM used in the early 00's. Go look at a last generation Yukon or Envoy, and I think you will be MORE than pleased at the improved quality of interior materials. However, if the plainer/plasticky interior bothers you that much, why not consider an Enclave? Everytime I get in my wife's Enclave from my Acadia, I am amazed that it is virtually the same vehicle. The Enclave's interior materials (even the silk infused leather seats) look and feel much more expensive and upscale. Maybe you would be happier in an Enclave?

·
Registered
250 Posts
you probably have been driving high end cars. the dash does not look cheap to me, and its defintely an upgrade from the dash of what i used to drive.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't get me wrong. I think the Acadia is the best automobile that GM has made in a very long while. The design and other things are dead on. It rides and handles extremely well. But I'm telling you that GM is really skimping on the plastic. It is hard and very low grade. It also is very hard feel to it. The plastic in my Dad's 92 Chevy 1500 Silverado looks and feels better. I don't think people have paid that much attention to it. And so, not thought much about it. As to the Enclave, it is nice but think about this. The wood trim is fake plastic and if you look close, you can see the screened dots that make up the reproduced grain. The materials get cheaper has you sit farther back. Then there is the exterior door pulls. They are two pieces of cheap chromed hollow plastic. At least other cars use sold plastic. And the metal around the ignition lock is as cheap as the same part on a Chevrolet. The top of the center console and the door's arm rests are vinyl, not leather. The third row is also vinyl designed to look like leather. My point is - ah nuts!

·
Registered
487 Posts
The dash material looks just like my brothers two Benz's. IMO this is what everyone is starting to use, because it looks decent and it won't crack and fall apart like the old vinyl covered dashes. And no other cars don't use solid plastic door handles, every car I've been in that has a raised style handle has used hollow plastic.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My 2003 BMW that I traded in had plastic around the dash and other areas. I'm not suggesting it was more pliable than what you find in the American made vehicles, but it looks essentially the same. As far as scuffing . . . the BMW plastics were relatively easy to clean and maintain. I never had reason to use Armour All or like products because a mixture or mild soap and water would do the trick. :)

I thinking that most vehicles, including upscale luxury types are using more plastics, and I'm sure there are variations in quality, but at first glance there are no real obvious differences. The matte finishes look more "classy" to me rather than the "slick and shiny" types.

My Acadia, with only 350 miles so far, still looks great. Let's wait till I reach several thousand miles and I'll tell you what I think then. ;)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I kinda like the miniature/pebble alligator skin.....kinda grows on you.....don't you know...

·
Registered
156 Posts
skyhawk said:
I have test drove an 07, the 08, and now the 09. I am planning on finally getting an 09. Love the car and all its features. The one thing that bothers me the most is the cheap plastic on the doors and the dash. For what the car costs, I think this is ridicules. The more I look at it, the madder I get. I was wondering what others thought about this. Any comments? Thanks.
Here is my take on it. GM IMHO hit a major league home run with these Lambda vehicles, in terms of quality, design and functionality and that is reflected in the positive reviews. I can tell ya, because I have always been a German car fan. Now, having said that, did GMC use the highest quality material for the dash? No, of course not, but look at other areas where they did drop some money. Full LED tail lights AND turnsignals, higher quality switchgear around the steering and center columns, tilt/telescoping steering wheel etc. etc. So it is obvious that they spent some here, saved a little there and so on. This is just the way of the auto business, and it doesnt always make people thrilled... remember my rant about the 6 dics changer, the 2 flip down cup holders and the DC outlets deleted for 09'? But if that doesn't help consider this: several years ago Mercedes Benz went to a FAKE LEATHER i.e. "vinyl" for the seating material in many of their vehicles and SUV's. How would you like to spend 40K-50K and get vinyl seats in a luxury car? Doohh!!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Bundy said:
I too wish they used a nicer plastic. It looks cheap and collects dirt.
I don't see how this material collects anymore dirt then other dashboard material? Do explain how this is?
Easy solution for dust that gathers is Swiffer dusters... just like a California duster, but much easier to store and I have plenty of them in the house already.
I like it, I think it less likely to dry and crack like some of the other older cars.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I felt my 98 Blazer that I traded had a more solidly built interior. True, the Acadia interior looks nice, I'm a little skeptical as to how it's going to hold up especially if scratched! You're not going to get a scratch out of textured plastic and it's going to be hard to hide.

How about the spare tire being an extra? What's the deal with that!?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts