GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a way to reset the default highway speed/driving settings on the NAV system?

While on a trip, the GPS seems to calculate your time to arrival based upon a speed setting of 60MPH. This is not real practical for highway trips. I know that my former Garmin GPS allowed you to set your default speeds for the different type of roads you travelled. And, it calculated your arrival time with a lot of accuracy.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I know my Magellan GPS uses the speed limits for various highways and roads (together with the number of stoplights, etc.) to project travel time. I suspect the Acadia's system does something similar.

Your Acadia should have come with an addendum to the owner's manual specifically for the navi system. (I read it on line a while ago, but didn't download it.) If it's not in there, I don't know what to suggest.

Kelly

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Kelly, it's not in the NAV manual. I actually checked befor I posted. ;D

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
I think it recalcs intheittleboxon the screen as you go along.

I think it did on myDenail.should be the same here.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My Garmin is smarter than me. I don't know what it does, but it knows quite accurately when I'm going to arrive. It's actually quite amazing. I didn't order the Nav system for the Acadia because I love the portability of the Garman. I got the Nuvi 350. Excellent purchase. And I get an email notification from Garman whenever there is a software update to download, which I get about once a month. All for a mere price of $500.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NY_Joe said:
I think it recalcs intheittleboxon the screen as you go along.

I think it did on myDenail.should be the same here.
No, it doesn't appear to change. At least accurately :(

I'm hoping that there is a way that I can change the speed settings like I've done on the previous GPS systems I owned.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't think there's a way to change it.

I'd like it if they displayed the estimated time of arrival, and not how many minutes remaining. If it's 3:38 and it tells me I have 48 minutes to go...ok, let's see, add...and carry....ugh. just tell me ETA is 4:26.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, we're halfway back to Dallas (from Duluth) and I kept a close eye on the eta that the NAV system displayed. My average speed during this 600 mile leg was 75MPH and this was confirmed via the DIC.

However, the NAV system calculated my arrival based upon exactly 65MPH. This is very dissapointing to me. Unless there is a setting that I've missed, I find this unaccepable. In all other areas I like the NAV system. I just wish it was designed to be accurate.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That is disappointing. I gotta say I'm glad I didn't order it. The ETA on my Garmin constantly adjusts for my actual speed, and is extremely accurate. I took a trip this summer from eastern PA to Nashville, all in one day, and the Garmin was supurb. It even got me around a traffic jamb on I-40. It was literally within minutes of my ETA because it knew when I stopped, and for how long, and it knew how fast I was going and consistently adjusted my ETA accordingly. It also announces the turns by actual street/route names, which is great. Based on what I've been reading from you folks, I would have been very disappointed with the factory navigation system, compared to the Garmin Nuvi 350. My suggestion (and that's all it is) is save your money and buy a Garmin! (an no, I don't work for Garmin ;D). I've had friends that have also been disappointed with various built-in navigation systems. You can't keep them up-to-date (unless you go to the dealer??), and they obviously don't provide the flexibility to take them from one car to another. My kids and wife are constantly asking to borrow my Garmin whenever they are going somewhere. And it's a lot cheaper!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm not sure of the significance of the ETA on any GPS. Its interesting to look at but I don't see any reason why one can't estimate the arrival time on their own. If you know where you are going and how many miles it is, shouldn't be that difficult. Before I had my first factory built in GPS I used a Delorme Street Atlas GPS, total cost of approximately $200 to be used on your laptop computer. The accuracy was unbelievable for the money. I thought why do you need to get a factory installed GPS for around $2,000.00. I found out why after I had one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have to agree that the Acadia's navigation does not live up to my expectaitions in some areas, and should have a more accurate and easy to use ETA. If your on the road alot, with appointments to keep, this is a nice feature to have. Really helps plan the day.

I too had a Garmin (still have it) and its very accurate for eta and really helps with planning the day and staying on time. I wish the GMC nav worked as well in this area. Also, IMO my old Garmin did a better job (thus far) of finding the routes I travel, as well as updating for alternate routes I often take, than the nav in my Acadia. I plan to keep my Garmin for rental cars and such...but I do miss some of the features this little gem had.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I just completed the last leg into Dallas. Near the end of the trip I checked and the NAV had calculated my arrival based upon 60MPH. This is a change from yesterday which was 65MPH. My average speed on the DIC registered 72.3 today, which was in fact a little lower than yesterday.

Maybe I'm overly sensitive about this issue. I think for most it would be a non-issue. I just wish there was a way to go into the NAV and override their setting for this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That is disappointing It would suck not to have the right ETA if it is not accurate don't put that option on there it useless if it is not accurate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, the speed averaging really sucks.

Here is what I think:

A moving, weighted average is best.

It should have a maximum lookback history of no more than 4 hours.

It should constantly tweak that average.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts