GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:hno: Well, after all the research and excitement over the Acadia I went for a second test drive today and I'm afraid I'm beginning to turn away. I have to say that there aren't any other cars out there that peak my interest and enthusiasm like the Acadia does. It's one sweet looking SUV with an excellent feature set. I decided to calm down a little, give it a more thorough look and drive it again.

The Acadia I drove today had really bad transmission problems. It hunted continuously during the short 8 mile drive trying to find the rite gear. It was so bad that it never did stabilize. I'm surprised the dealer doesn't pull it off the lot and get it taken care of. My first Acadia test drive last month was completely different. It only had the recognized transmissions issues discussed so much on this forum where it required a little more pedal than what is considered normal to downshift. I could live with that. What makes me nervous is the wide degree of quality control (or lack of) between the two vehicles. Something is out of control somewhere. I went from an Acadia that I thought I couldn't live without to one that I couldn't even tolerate.

The second issue (admittedly biased by the transmission issue) that really hit home today was the height of the 2nd row captains chairs. I guess I was more forgiving the 1st time around because the Acadia is overall just so desirable. When I sat in the seat there was a full 4" gap between the underside of my leg near the knee and the seat. I could cross my kegs at the feet to get thigh support but thats kind of lame to have to do. I see these and the rear seats as children only seating and not something I would want to subject an adult to beyond a 10 minuet trip.

Another area that leaves me uneasy is the limited rear vision. I think the rear parking assist option should be standard on all models. The Acadia can be just plain dangerous to back up with such a narrow field of vision through the rear windows. I imagine this is true of most large SUVs but I had a sense of driving with blinders on. I just couldn't see enough out the rear to feel comfortable.

There is a lot of hard plastic throughout but I realize this is becoming the norm in almost all cars. My wife's new Camry is actually much worse. Everything feels cheap and low budget on the Camry interior even though it all works flawlessly.

The Acadia's leather felt better than I thought it would but doesn't remotely compare to the seats my 2004 Volvo XC70. That's probably not a fair comparison because the Volvo is known for having some of the finest seats in the industry. The Acadia seats are definitely a better feel than those in the Camry. In the end though, I like the feel of the Acadia's cloth best. However, by choosing the cloth interior I'm forced to give up some options that are important to me.

The sunroof looks modern and very upscale but it was 90 degrees today and I could feel the heat pounding through the closed shade. Definite show stopper for my wife and I and we love having a sunroof.

Adding the above concerns with the fact that our local dealers still want to stay near MSRP is making me reconsider. I'll likely have to pass on the Acadia and maybe give it some time to develop. The actual depressing part is the Acadia is the first vehicle in many, many years that has truly made me excited. I felt like a kid again for a while when I first saw and drove it but that's not a good enough basis for a $33,000.00 + purchase decision as the new car thrill sooner or later wears off. It gets hard to hand out those monthly payments if what you are left with doesn't truly meet your needs and/or preferences.

Hoping something can change my mind and revive the excitement. It is an awesome looking vehicle!

·
Registered
43 Posts
You write as though you've made up your mind.
Move on.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Sounds like a minivan may be a better option for you if you are so concerned about the 2nd row captain chairs and rear visibility.

·
Registered
956 Posts
The Acadia is a well thought out and designed vehicle, but like all other new designs it has teething problems. I have had mine now for several months and have had no problems other than the recalls. If you are having reservations about the purchase I would wait. You can always buy one at a later date, but if you purchase one now you will be stuck if you're not happy with it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am getting to the same point myself. I too have been really excited about a car for the first time in a long time, but having read all the issues that continue to come up on this forum I am beginning to think I should just go back to a Sequoia. I am starting to think that buying American just isn't going to happen and this is from someone who gets both the family Chrysler and family GMC discount. As much as the Sequoia does not elicit excitement in stying and drinks gas like David Hasselhoff drinks liquor, at least I spent no time at a dealer dealing with all the issues that are repeatably coming up in this forum. I have an 08 on order but I am getting to get cold feet big time! I mean a $40,000 car should not be having all these issues. Can anyone help in regaining my enthusiasm here?

·
Registered
542 Posts
DONLOVESTHEAS-Keep in mind they have been selling 9,000+ Acadias per month. There are only 1,000 members on here. If you had no issues you would probably not have anything to say, thus would not post. So, essentially you are getting a disproportionate number of posts that are negative which gives an inaccurate picture of the Acadia. Having read most of these over the months it seems there have really only been a couple of consistent issues and those seem pretty minor. The transmission is the only major concern that I have seen. This is a new transmission to people and it has taken some time to get used to. In the beginning most posters were really concerned about it. Lately I have noticed that they are turning. Some are saying the car has learned their driving style and others have learned how the car works and would not want to change the transmission. My last car got so so reviews from "professionals" and turned out to be the best car I ever had. None of the issues raised by the reviewers applied. I would keep an open mind and give any car you are looking at a thorough test drive.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
donlovestheas said:
I am getting to the same point myself. I too have been really excited about a car for the first time in a long time, but having read all the issues that continue to come up on this forum I am beginning to think I should just go back to a Sequoia. I am starting to think that buying American just isn't going to happen and this is from someone who gets both the family Chrysler and family GMC discount. As much as the Sequoia does not elicit excitement in stying and drinks gas like David Hasselhoff drinks liquor, at least I spent no time at a dealer dealing with all the issues that are repeatably coming up in this forum. I have an 08 on order but I am getting to get cold feet big time! I mean a $40,000 car should not be having all these issues. Can anyone help in regaining my enthusiasm here?
I don't know if I can help regain your enthusiasm but compared to many other cars on the market I actually think the startup pains are relatively few on the Acadia, especially considering it is a completely new platform. Except for the trans, most issues so far seam minor and it appears that GM is very aggressive in getting them under control. I follow this forum a lot and I only remember one post where an individual returned his Acadia for unsolvable quality issues but I believe he ordered another one.

·
Registered
123 Posts
tom h. go check out the enclave it is the most luxurious of the 3 lambdas and the seats are extremely comfortable. donlove, i think a lot of the transmission issues are due to the driving styles of the buyers. i have driven the lambdas and did not experience any of the lagging issues. guess because i have a light foot on the pedals and have learned to slow down. some people want to put foot on gas and zooooooom right off. imo, people need to just slow down and take it easy and i think these transmissions of the lambdas are designed to make you do just that.

SLOW DOWN AND SAVE A LIFE... REMEMBER THE LIFE YOU SAVE JUST MAYBE YOUR OWN OR THE LIFE OF A LOVED ONE.

·
Registered
140 Posts
donlovestheas said:
I am getting to the same point myself. I too have been really excited about a car for the first time in a long time, but having read all the issues that continue to come up on this forum I am beginning to think I should just go back to a Sequoia.
I used to really want a Sequoia, but after driving the Acadia I fell in love. It doesn't drive like a truck, like the Sequoia, and it's cheaper. Also, I was afraid the Sequoia would come out with a new body style (they've been the same since '01) right after I got one, and I didn't want an old looking new car. This is my first American car, and so far I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree with MsS42. It's all about learning how a new vehicle handles and then driving it acordingly. My Acadia arrived from the factory last week so I have not experienced any of the transmission problems early buyers faced. Second day out on a deserted road I just stood up on the gas pedal - the motor had a nice growl and after a brief lag it took off very nicely. I think some degree of lag is common in most all vehicles today. My Dodge Ram (which the Acadia replaced) was worse than the Acadia. I could count 'one one thousand, two one thousand' before that thing took off after flooring it.

I also hear some complaining about the constant gear shifting in hilly conditions. Once again my Ram downshifted on a lot of the same hills and it was not near as smooth as the Acadia. I guess when you only have 3 gears it's a much bigger jump between gear ratios. I have found that I can make the Acadia shift less by just keeping a constant pressure to the gas pedal rather than giving it more gas on a hill. I may slow down a couple of mph but there's a lot less shifting.

Like I said it's all about learning your vehicle.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sounds like you are tall. The rear seat issue for me at 6'3" is of absolutely zero concern for me as I never plan on riding in the captains chairs, are you?

The transmission issue is rather moot as the new flash will be out in weeks rather than months. Also I would think the one you just drove most likely has never had the first upgrade. My suggestion to you would be to find one on a lot and test drive ie it and if you like it then buy it. If the trans is obviously not right ask the service writer at the dealer if it has been re flashed yet. If not tell them that you would like to drive one with the latest upgrade.

The sun shade, well where do you live? How many days in the nineties are there each year? Is it really that different than any other car with a sunroof? Maybe you want a car without a sunroof? Thats an option right? In my opinion the sun is only straight overhead for about an hour each day, and then it is either in your windshield or coming in the side windows right? Will you opt for a car with no windows at all? Didn't think so.

If you want cloth seats and you want the options that come with leather ones, get seat covers. In my opinion the leather ones are so much easier to keep clean there is no way I will ever own cloth seats again. It's your choice though.

The rear view issue. Well they are coming out with the backup cameras next production year,(08) get that one. Problem solved. For me the narrow field of vision was an easy fix though. I just got some stick on Spider eyes, or convex mirrors that stick on the corners of the side mirrors. Problem solved.

Just a suggestion to you though. Go back and test drive an SLT-2 take it to a Toyota dealership and park it next to a Camry. If that doesn't make your mind up for you at the very least the salesman there will be more than happy to make you a great deal on one of those lesser quality Japanese cars that seem to be your next choice. And by all means, when you do decide to get the
Acadia, and you will, get the one with all the bells and whistles, it will make you feel like a kid again.

Hope that helps, Dan

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Another note on the sunroof, it got up to 95 the other day. I left the car outside for several hours and timed the air and it took less than 5 seconds to cool down. The car itself was pleasant by the time I pulled out of the drive. Since I was in this mode, I opened the sunroof cover. I didn't notice any heat. Then I touched the window. I almost burned my hand!! I have NEVER felt anything that hot in a car period!! I was amazed that that little piece of mesh kept out that much heat.

I had a Volvo. Because I had a Volvo (it was 5 years old when I couldn't take the problems any more) I choose not to get their SUV. It took a little getting used to the seats, but I have found the Acadia to be comfortable. I am so glad I got it!! The little problems that are going on are NOTHING compared to my issues with the Volvo. I had the Volvo in after three weeks with a carbon monoxide leak. It took them two weeks to find it. As a matter of fact, every time I took in that car, it stayed for an average of 10 days. (It was almost three weeks for the clutch!) I will take my three month old Acadia in for minor problems that will take a couple of hours. To me, that is worth it's weight!

·
Registered
956 Posts
donlovestheas said:
There is no doubt that Toyota bulids a decent car and it sounds like you've had good luck with yours, but have you gone on a Toyota forum such as this? Toyota's do have problems and unhappy owners just like every other car that is being manufactured. All new designs have problems that need to be worked out and yes the Acadia has some minor issues too. I haven't heard of many major problems with the Acadia like Toyota is having with the new Tundra that is experiencing camshaft failures and driveline problems. I currently own the previous generation Tundra and it is a good truck, but certainly not perfect. My previous truck was a Ford that went well over 200,000 miles with zero problems and I then sold it to a neighbor who has had no problems either. I think American cars are underrated and many foreign cars are overrated. Just talk to some Mercedes and BMW owners.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm not sure what you expected from the group when you made this post. You mentioned at least five different items that you didn't like about the vehicle. Nobody here has the ability/power to make the changes to the vehicle that would make it acceptable to you... so why should we try to change your mind?

IMHO if you have this many concerns/dislikes about the Acadia, you shouldn't buy one. You'll save yourself some grief. Not trying to be a smart A$$, just doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Oh the heck with it. I am going to go stay with it despite my temporary case of cold feet. Hopefully the 08 will have worked out a lot these little issues. I do still wish the General would consider a roll down rear window like the Sequoia as it really is a handy feature and for the life of me I don't get why more suvs or now crossovers don't have it. I do love the look and feel of the Acadia, I am hoping to actually really enjoy this car. The last car I really enjoyed was the old Jeep Grand Wagoneer, the Hummer of the early 80's. I hope I get my 08 soon and can actually experience it as my daily driver. Dealer says I should have it around August 1st. In my own opinion it is coming with best combo of Gold Mist exterior and brick leather interior.

·
Registered
123 Posts
big bear craig said:
There is no doubt that Toyota bulids a decent car and it sounds like you've had good luck with yours, but have you gone on a Toyota forum such as this? Toyota's do have problems and unhappy owners just like every other car that is being manufactured. All new designs have problems that need to be worked out and yes the Acadia has some minor issues too. I haven't heard of many major problems with the Acadia like Toyota is having with the new Tundra that is experiencing camshaft failures and driveline problems. I currently own the previous generation Tundra and it is a good truck, but certainly not perfect. My previous truck was a Ford that went well over 200,000 miles with zero problems and I then sold it to a neighbor who has had no problems either. I think American cars are underrated and many foreign cars are overrated. Just talk to some Mercedes and BMW owners.
i totally agree w/you about the overrating of foreign cars and not giving american cars the respect that they deserve. any car will take care of you as long as you take care of it. as americans we need to give our cars more respect and the benefit of the doubt.

1. how did the foreign cars get better than the american cars and are they really better or is it that we the consumers have given the ellusion that they are better?

a. its the consumer that given the ellusion of foreign cars being better than american cars and they are really no better than the american cars.

2. which car is more expensive to repair foreign or american?
a. the foreign car is the most expensive to repair.

I can go on however you get the picture.

My dad has a lincoln w/over 300,000 miles on it, that car has been across country so many times and it is still kicking. would have driven it this year except we decided not to take our yearly trip from california to alabama then on to north carolina and back to california w/several stops in other states between. I say go GMMMMMMMM go.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sorry you're having second thoughts. Better to have them now than after a hefty purchase. Of course, coming to a forum exclusively for Acadias, you're going to get biased opinions.

Now there are things I agree with you on but not enough to sway me against purchasing it. With the transmission- I, personally, have not had any problems. I was actually nervous after reading this board and was pleasantly surprised at how well the Acadia responded. If you look at the 'polls' you'll see that the 6-speed automatic is a first for almost 90% of the board members that took the poll. This is my personal opinion but I think people aren't really familiar with it as it is really advantageous to use, especially since this comes stock and not as an option!

Moving on, I sat in the second row captain's chairs as well as the third row bench. I didn't find any problems with them but of course, it's personal preference.

I definitely agree with you with the rear view vision- it's limited and I'm glad the '08 models have the camera.

The leather...I've commented on here that I thought my, now former, Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited's leather seats were more comfortable. I'm getting used to the stiffer Acadia leather but again, it's not something that swayed me enough not to buy it.

The sunroof- I also wish it was solid instead of a shade but as someone else responded, it's an option so one doesn't have to choose it. Also, I've read some suggestions to possibly have the sunroof tinted to help solve this "issue."

I don't blame the dealers for not going down much since they're selling like crazy. If your local dealers are unwilling to decrease their prices perhaps you can try some dealers further away?

The Acadia isn't for everyone just as the Honda (dare I say it...) Pilot isn't for everyone and so on and so on. If we all had the same exact tastes and preferences, we would all be driving the same kind of vehicle! Furthermore, I think the many many benefits, options and advantages, outweigh any and all nuisances that I have, but that's just me.

I hope you can eventually find something to pique your interest. It is a large purchase and it's a decision that you should ultimately be happy with. Good luck with your endeavors and please let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dickf5187 said:
I'm not sure what you expected from the group when you made this post. You mentioned at least five different items that you didn't like about the vehicle. Nobody here has the ability/power to make the changes to the vehicle that would make it acceptable to you... so why should we try to change your mind?

IMHO if you have this many concerns/dislikes about the Acadia, you shouldn't buy one. You'll save yourself some grief. Not trying to be a smart A$$, just doesn't make sense to me.
I expected just what I got. A lot of great opinions and honest dialog about things that have me concerned about a car that I've been really excited about. Since these are not isolated points I was curious as to how others felt about them, how they dealt with them and what advice I might receive. There have been some great responses and I can tell from the general tone that most understand that I am honest in my assessment and I am in no way setting out to bash the Acadia. I guess if the Acadia didn't have so many great features I would just do as a few have suggested. I would move on that is, and not look back.

I appreciate all the feedback!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tom H said:
Dickf5187 said:

I expected just what I got. A lot of great opinions and honest dialog about things that have me concerned about a car that I've been really excited about. Since these are not isolated points I was curious as to how others felt about them, how they dealt with them and what advice I might receive. There have been some great responses and I can tell from the general tone that most understand that I am honest in my assessment and I am in no way setting out to bash the Acadia. I guess if the Acadia didn't have so many great features I would just do as a few have suggested. I would move on that is, and not look back.

I appreciate all the feedback!
oh Tom H. please dont feel that way. I would suggest that you take a look at the other lambdas as i suggested before especially the enclave before you make your final decision. i think you will be very happy w/it.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Hey Tom,

I'd like to weigh in here and give my opinion on a few things that you addressed...

Transmission - This is, by far, the biggest sticking point for a lot of people. I can only assume that either this problem varies greatly from car to car, or some people are MUCH more sensitive to it than others. It's obvious from a lot of posts that AWD trannies seem to suffer more than FWD. That said, do I noticed a bit of upshift lag from time to time? Sure. Is it annoying? Not really. Would it keep me from buying the car? Absolutely not. My issues are either EXTREMELY minor or my wife and I are somehow not sensitive to it. It's a very very minor inconvenience to me. And there are talks that changes are on the way soon. This one can be fixed and I wouldn't let it be the main factor in your decision. At least wait to test drive one after the fixes are in place to see how much it improves for you (assuming you have that kind of time).

Capts chairs - Again, I can tell they are lower than some other cars, but at 5'10", I've ridden in the back for over an hour and it didn't bother me in the least, especially if you slide the seat back and recline it some. It's very comfy for me. Again, this is subjective and some will be bothered more than others. I'm guessing, though, that 90% of the people you have ride back there would have no complaints. (and ours are both taken up with baby seats at this point :) )

Rear Visibility - This is, sadly, a real issue that I am not pleased with myself. However, we test drove a lot of SUVs/minivans before buying the Acadia and almost all of them have similar rear visibility issues. Some are a bit better, some are worse. the backup sensors help a lot and the 08 backup camera would be worth the money to me. Again though, the competition isn't much better.

Hard plastics - in my opinion, this is SO much better than most GM cars its laughable. It's not as good as it can be, but I'm extremely pleased with the Acadia interior, as is every friend and family member who's seen our car. Is it truly a deal breaker for you since, as you pointed out, it's practically the norm these days? What are you comparing it to in this price range?

Leather seats - they aren't the nicest, but they aren't the worst by far. I find the seats comfortable and supportive. Hmm, maybe I'm just not picky enough...? I sound like a broken record. I'd say they are a notch below my Infiniti seats, but I'm still very happy w/ them.

We skipped the sunroof for that very reason. Now in an effort to "talk you out of it", I would ask that you keep in mind all of the advantages the Acadia gives you. It's got more cargo and passenger room than any of its competitors outside of a minivan. It drives and handles better than most SUVs and most of its competitors. It has an actual USABLE third row seat that can accommodate real adults, as well as better access to said third row than anything that's not a minivan. It gets better gas mileage than anything its size. It's really a good value consdiering all that you can get for $32-36k. And finally, it looks better inside and out than practically anything on the road! :)

That's my best shot. Bottom line, though, is don't regret your purchase. If the Lambdas truly aren't for yuo and you like something better, don't let us talk you into one! Good luck either way!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.