GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Speedway gasoline for the past three weeks in my new Acadia and have been getting dismal fuel mileage of 15-16mpg with 30% highway / 70% city. Just this past week, I switched fuel to Sunoco (still using the 87 octane). I am now averaging 19.2 mpg...and this is driving the same exact route to work/home each day. I have made sure that my driving habits are as similar as possible to what they were in the previous weeks. I'm going to continue to monitor this and will post my updates here.

Have other people noticed a significant difference in mileage when they switch gas station companies? I guess what I should do is determine the ethanol % in both the Speedway gas and the Sunoco gas as that might have something to do with it. However, the Speedway and Sunoco gas prices were exactly the same for the 87 octane. Therefore, I can go appx. an extra 60 or so miles further on a tank of gas purchased from Sunoco than from Speedway.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
My guess is that one station has 10% Ethenol which will produce up to 3 mpg less. Look at the pump and see if it says, "Contains 10% Ethenol." Stay away from that stuff if you can. Most stations in our town are FREE of Ethenol.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Most pumps here, if not all, displays "Up to 10% Ethanol". You need to figure out which pump is closer to that 10% value.There are stations (like Lukoil near my area) that do not have the "up to"sign, does this mean it is ethanol free? I believe I'm getting better mileage compared to my usual "TOP TIER" gas.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Depending where you live, you may not be able to get gasoline without 10% ethanol. Where I live in Texas, we've had it exclusively for a year or two now.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/rfg/whereyoulive.htm

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/feature_articles/2006/mtbe2006/mtbe2006.pdf

I often work on chemical/product tankers (ships) and still see MTBE cargoes but they are almost exclusively leaving the country- it's not being imported. I think in the very near future we will all be seeing exclusively 10% ethanol (if not more).

·
Registered
251 Posts
Not surprised. I have noticed that different brands tended to result in different gas mileage results in almost every car I've ever owned over the last 25 years. It has always seemed that one of the first experiments with every new car was finding the "right" gas for it. Oh well.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Man, I am going to have to pay more attention to what gas I am using. :eek: I never knew about the ethanol factor and I certainly was not aware that one brand of gas could give you more mileage than another. I learn so much here. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
kram said:
Most pumps here, if not all, displays "Up to 10% Ethanol". You need to figure out which pump is closer to that 10% value.There are stations (like Lukoil near my area) that do not have the "up to"sign, does this mean it is ethanol free? I believe I'm getting better mileage compared to my usual "TOP TIER" gas.
From my understanding of "TOP TIER" gas, it does not have anything to do with the mileage you will get, but in the level of additives that will keep your engine cleaner. I did some digging and am surprised at how many gas stations are not "TOP TIER". In order for me to stick to what the manual says, I will need to drive far out of my way. Anybody have any good info about this "TOP TIER" gas and how valid it is?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Check out this website: http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
In my area these (the stations we do have) also are the higher $$$$
TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Shell-Canada
Texaco
Petro-Canada
Sunoco-Canada

·
Registered
730 Posts
GAR said:
kram said:
From my understanding of "TOP TIER" gas, it does not have anything to do with the mileage you will get, but in the level of additives that will keep your engine cleaner. I did some digging and am surprised at how many gas stations are not "TOP TIER". In order for me to stick to what the manual says, I will need to drive far out of my way. Anybody have any good info about this "TOP TIER" gas and how valid it is?
I agree.Those TOP TIER gas in my area all have "Up to 10% Ethanol" signs and that is what I'm really trying to say.
I believe the different gasoline brands has some level of detergent. How much do we really need?

·
Registered
251 Posts
GAR said:
kram said:
Your understanding is correct with regard to the additives used in TOP TIER fuel that are intended to keep the engine's internal parts cleaner. As for validity, it's valid enough that GM recommends it's use in the owner's manual.

The TOP TIER standards were developed by a consortium of car manufacturers including GM, Ford, Toyota, BMW and Audi/VW in response to the Federal government creating its own standard in the early-mid 90's. The government's new standard required a certain level of detergent additives in gasoline dispensed in the USA in order to help reduce emissions. Unfortunately, in their twisted way of attempting to help the consumer and the environment, they created a standard that required less additives than were already being used in most major brand name gasolines at the time. So, many of the large brand names reeled back on the amount of additives they used to the level of the new standard in order to reduce costs. I believe this alarmed several auto manufacturers, who in order to remain competetive, were extending time/mileage on factory powertrain warranties. Thus, their development of the TOP TIER standard.

Bear in mind that in order for a chain to be designated as TOP TIER, 100% of all their retail outlets in the country (and/or Canada) must be dispensing fuel with the additives that make it TOP TIER. It is possible that there are outlets under other other name brands that may be meeting the requirements. However, the point of the list is to ensure that the consumer knows with absolute certainty whether or not what they use meets the TOP TIER requirement. So you may want to check with your local retailers regarding the additives they use if the outliets listed are too far for you.

Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts