GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I changed my driver side rear wheel bearing on my 2008 acadia a couple of days ago, backing plate and ebreak were rusted and broken, shucked them. Bolt everything back together, take off and the wheel is grinding horribly. Bring it 300ft back to the garage, and take the tire off and the rotor is dragging against the caliper bracket. Went and got a new caliper and bracket and same thing, rotor moves when the wheel is off, but as soon as I bolt the tire on, wheel is locked up tighter than crap, I have no idea what is going on.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

·
Registered
2020 GMC Acadia SLT FWD V6
666 Posts
That is puzzling. So you can physically turn the rotor and bearing freely when the tire is off but once its bolted back on, its seized. I could see if these were custom wheels and they were hitting the caliper but its the stock wheel and stock parts. Got a pic of it?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Could you explain better what you mean by the rotor dragging on the caliper bracket? Like where I have it circled? And it only does it when the wheel is attached?

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what's rubbing, its almost as if the wheel bearing is too narrow? The backing plate and e break had nothing to do with the width of the assembly. Thanks for the quick response guys!!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And after I changed the wheel bearing, with the same caliper and bracket, the problem started. That's why it is so confusing.

·
Registered
2018 Quicksilver Metallic Jet Black Leather SLT-1 Tow Package
747 Posts
Don’t mean to ask a dumb question but did you reset the calipers before putting the brake pads in. It looks like the brake pad is maxed out and pushed up as hard as it can go like the break pedal is pushed as hard as you can.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Sorry, but maybe I was looking at that the wrong way. Looked like I was looking at the pad and rotor at the caliper area. Have any better pics. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
20,291 Posts
Don't folks know the difference between 'brake' and 'break?' Brakes help one stop. Breaks are for coffee and repairs.

Reactions: GMC3 and SpartyOn

·
Registered
747 Posts
Don't folks know the difference between 'brake' and 'break?' Brakes help one stop. Breaks are for coffee and repairs.
Don’t some know the difference between auto-correct and how **** annoying it is. Constantly changing the words I type. It’s a pain and always causing me to proof read. I would make another quote but wouldn’t want to upset the balance of power ;) Hoping you have a good sense of humor!

Changed the one the auto correct didn’t get me on!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay so, jmbjr, its actually the opposite, the caliper is wide open, the side where the cylinder is, is the one rubbing against the caliper bracket. I thought about trying to let the caliper compress before I bolted everything down, but once I bolt the wheel on, it will smoke the inside pad..... going nuts here ...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Im telling ya, shave that piece down thats riding on the rotor and you will be good to go. Assuming thats the only place its rubbing. Look at the old bracket, is it the same way?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Ok, my apologies, I had it backward. The first pic that someone else posted is where I began my wrong turn to say. Hmm, man this is a crazy one. I can’t seem to really wrap my head around why this would happen to begin with. Did you try to reverse engineer per say in going in reverse to see what happened. Sorry, all I can think of right now.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Im telling ya, shave that piece down thats riding on the rotor and you will be good to go. Assuming thats the only place its rubbing. Look at the old bracket, is it the same way?
I gotta tend to agree here. Look at the old one against the new one for width and placement, maybe just s funky new mold that was off or something.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It rubbed on the old bracket too, i didn't think to replace the caliper and bracket until it locked up and i thought the caliper was locked up. I bought the wheel bearings as a pair, is there a chance I could have put the wrong one on? I bought two for the rear.

Edit: I turned the old one in for core charge unfortunately but like I said, it happened first WITH the old one.

·
Registered
747 Posts
It rubbed on the old bracket too, i didn't think to replace the caliper and bracket until it locked up and i thought the caliper was locked up. I bought the wheel bearings as a pair, is there a chance I could have put the wrong one on? I bought two for the rear.
That is very possible and at the point looking like the culprit. Possibly

·
Registered
666 Posts
Option 1 - get the dremel out and shave it like a 10 year old beard
Option 2 - take it to a shop and let them fix it
Option 3 - Learn how to drive on 3 wheels like they do in the movies.

:)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts