GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got my 22's on the acadia and a buddy told me i should get ceramic brake pads because of all the dust from conventional pads. has anyone else heard this or already doing it and if so can i just go to an autozone and get them. any help would be appreciated as im not very mechanical saavy.
i just found the other post on here about ceramic pads which was kind of helpful.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I used a set of these several years ago on our Durango. While there was somewhat less dust, I noted the stopping ability seemed to be a lot less than conventional pads. I ended up switching back to regular pads. The technology may well have improved since then, just my .02 on them. Your best bet is to find someone that has used the brand you are looking at and getting their review of them.

The best pads I've ever used are Hawk HPS. I can't advise on brake dust since the car they are on has black wheels.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
lip ripper said:
just got my 22's on the acadia and a buddy told me i should get ceramic brake pads because of all the dust from conventional pads. has anyone else heard this or already doing it and if so can i just go to an autozone and get them. any help would be appreciated as im not very mechanical saavy.
i just found the other post on here about ceramic pads which was kind of helpful.
Welcome to the forum.

Please check out this thread.
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=3174.0

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks its all solved . i usually just cruise around here but i feel like i might wanna do some talking sometime so im all for playing by the rules.

·
Registered
484 Posts
lip ripper said:
It is my understanding that the brake pads are already ceramic. I have yet to see any build up on our wheels and we have 19k miles on the Acadia. I have a 2002 Silverado and it came with ceramic pads on it from the factory as well.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hey Rat407,
Use of the name "ceramic" covers a lot of different formulations from various manufacturers; currently the largest OE is probably Akebono. I had a 2002 Silverado 2500HD too. Both are in fact "ceramic" pads. The dust that comes from ceramics is light in color and less noticeable. Semi-metallic pads almost always contain some amount of graphite, a high temp "lubricant" to help keep friction stable at higher temps. However, the graphite is black... hence some black dust on the wheels. Actually wheel configuration and the rate of pad wear are significant factors affecting how good/bad the wheels look after a few miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts