GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car has a CEL which was Engine misfires the dealer notes said 1-3-5 cylinders and just replaced the plugs...light is back on with misfires...so searching around I found TSB# 4016 and it says engine misfires on 1-3-5...but I cant tell what the fixes are for this TSB...Can anyone look up this TSB and tell what the fix is for it? Making an appt with Dealer...but wanted to see what this thing says! its a 2007

BT

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just took mine in yesterday for the CEL. They also found engine misfires. Reset the light and did the TCM/PCM updates.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would the TCM update have to do with Engine misfires>? just curious if this fixes the issue? Were the misfires on the 1 3 5 side?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Re:

Don't think it has anything to do with the misfires. They didn't say anything about the misfire code other than it didn't show up again. Not sure what caused it but I will be watching the car very closely.

Didn't mean to mislead. Just mentioned the updates as a FYI.

Last spring the CEL came on and they did a software update and called it good. 2 days later the light went on again and that time they foundba bad thermostat. Don't know why they missed it the first time

·
Premium Member
15,751 Posts
Re:

Flycatcher said:
Last spring the CEL came on and they did a software update and called it good. 2 days later the light went on again and that time they foundba bad thermostat. Don't know why they missed it the first time
Troubleshooting is a dying art; techs are trained to read codes and replace parts until they get it right

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
not the answer your looking for...this is for 2009's...
but may give some insight...
Repeat Catalytic Converter Failure
January 4, 2010 5:51 PM

On some 2009 Enclave, Traverse, Acadia and OUTLOOK models, the ignition coil circuit connections may cause engine misfires that may lead to repeat catalytic converter failure as well as scoring of the cylinder bores.

Check the X3 connector, pin 51 - circuit 5291 for odd cylinders and the X3 connector, pin 47 - circuit 5292 for the even bank of cylinders. Pin drag the connections. If a concern is found, replace the terminals.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well you sort of did answer,,,took it into the dealer, and they just called said..replace the Catalytic Converter...well after reading this , i did ask them to check the ignition coil circuit...but you know on the phone they act like they are just blowing you off..i hope they check it...i would almost like to talk to the mechanic himself...

rbarrios said:
not the answer your looking for...this is for 2009's...
but may give some insight...
Repeat Catalytic Converter Failure
January 4, 2010 5:51 PM

On some 2009 Enclave, Traverse, Acadia and OUTLOOK models, the ignition coil circuit connections may cause engine misfires that may lead to repeat catalytic converter failure as well as scoring of the cylinder bores.

Check the X3 connector, pin 51 - circuit 5291 for odd cylinders and the X3 connector, pin 47 - circuit 5292 for the even bank of cylinders. Pin drag the connections. If a concern is found, replace the terminals.

·
Premium Member
15,751 Posts
SurfnWolf said:
Well you sort of did answer,,,took it into the dealer, and they just called said..replace the Catalytic Converter...well after reading this , i did ask them to check the ignition coil circuit...but you know on the phone they act like they are just blowing you off..i hope they check it...i would almost like to talk to the mechanic himself...
Print out the instructions about what to check and hand them to the dealer

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was wondering what the outcome of going to the dealer with the connector information mentioned here.
My 2008 Acadia SLT shows #3 & #5 cylinder missfires. The shop said the coils needed replacing.
Before replacing thou, they swapped 1,3,5 coils with 2, 4, 6 and changed the spark plugs. Their equipment still said #3 and #5 missfires.
He told me that he can't figure it out and that I will have to take it to the Devil er I mean the dealer.
I will show him the info on the connectors and see what he says. Any further info on this problem would be
great.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi 73sprint,
We did not hear back from you: Was it the connectors or something else? i am having the same symptoms and need some directions. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been an Acadia owner for about 3 months. I had read of some of the owners issues and figured that there are bound to be a few problems when you sell hundreds of thousands of Lambdas per year. Maybe I just had bad luck. Here is my experience so far...

2009 2wd Acadia 103,000-106,000 mi
Coil 3 bad code p0303, changed the coil and all plugs
less than 1000 miles later, code p0301
I'm hoping that another coil gets it going again
I'm reading about folks with carbon problems after much fewer miles, stretching timing chains, and the waveplate...

previous owner was older female, all regular dealer service
I'm hoping to keep the CEL off long enough to get rid of it. :banghead:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry I didn't get back and post. The dealer said timing chains need replacement. I am guessing the timing chain for 1,3 and 5 is the problem one. I am pulling the engine out over the next couple weeks in my garage.
I am writing the procedures down and taking pics so as to help the next person. Can't find any instructions on how to do it. Just a sped up vid of a mechanic doing it with no audio of what he is doing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
73Sprint said:
Sorry I didn't get back and post. The dealer said timing chains need replacement. I am guessing the timing chain for 1,3 and 5 is the problem one. I am pulling the engine out over the next couple weeks in my garage.
I am writing the procedures down and taking pics so as to help the next person. Can't find any instructions on how to do it. Just a sped up vid of a mechanic doing it with no audio of what he is doing.
Are you over the mileage range for the extended warranty on the timing chains?

By the way you have to remove the engine from underneath, you have a lift in your garage?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, I made it back. Good news...... I took the engine out in my garage by jacking the front WAY up to pull the whole thing out the wheel well. I replaced the chains, gears and actuator gears. Everything went well and I reinstalled the engine. On first start-up, it took abit like it was waiting for fuel and then started and ran smooth....for about 10 seconds, then started to run rough just like before and stall. Hard to start or won't start after that.
Pulled 4 codes: 0017, 0154, 0171 and 2003 after the startup and stall out.

I think the timing chains may have been stretched but not the main cause of why the engine starts and runs smooth then goes to rough and stalls within minutes.
Anymore thoughts on this problem would be appreciated.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I know catalytic convertor was mentioned earlier, was it swapped?? All the misfires could have caused a load of fuel to dump into it and destroy it.

Other than that maybe a fuel pressure problem :shrug:

This is of course assuming you did the timing chains correctly and the engine isn't out of time.

In my history for symptoms in my previous cars like that I would check the maf sensor, idle air control valve, and throttle body. Of course my previous cars weren't quite the same animal as the Acadia.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am 100 % sure the chains were done correctly. New MAF sensor. Didn't change any converter thou. I'm going to test the fuel pressure and change the pump if I need to.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Did some more thinking and the catalytic convertor seems more likely.

·
Registered
8 Posts
73Sprint said:
I am 100 % sure the chains were done correctly. New MAF sensor. Didn't change any converter thou. I'm going to test the fuel pressure and change the pump if I need to.
Any update?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well here is the update.
I have changed:
Timing chains and sprockets
Camshaft actuator gears
Camshaft actuator solenoid valves
Cam position sensors
Crank position sensor
MAF sensor
I took the motor out for the second time. A mechanic came over with a high tech scanner and told me one of the actuator gears on each side of the motor was out by a tooth.
I found out once it was apart that they were not. Paid him to come over to my house and see. He agreed I did right with the chains.
Put the motor back together and started it up. After it started, the motor ran good again when COLD and stalled out once it got HOT.
I started it the second time right away and it was hard to start. It started after I kept giving it a lot of gas pedal. Reved it to about 2500 to 3000 rpm. Miss fired a few times and slowly lost rpms until it stalled. Gave it gas to try and stop it but sounded like when you are running out of gas. With all the trouble and all the fixes I have tried, the fuel gage stopped working and gives me a code.
The codes I got after start up were: 452,463 and 300. I put a fuel pressure gauge on and it stayed at 60 PSI even when the motor was dying out.
What next?? PCM ?? Fuel Pump?? What regulates the fuel after the pressure testing port?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts