GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently purchased a 08 factory cd changer with xm to replace my 07 sle base radio, will i have to take to dealer to install or can i do it myself? ( i know how to install) just wondering if they have to activate anything on it, or will it be locked?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I'm fairly certain these radios are linked to the vehicle VIN, so a reflash would be required by the dealer or someone with a Tech 2 tool.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know if you had XM in your base SLE, but the XM radio option consists of 2 parts: the headunit in the dash and an XM module (digital radio receiver) in the rear left area of the vehicle, mounted next to the OnStar module.

Good news: If your SLE had XM from the factory then all you will need is a re-program of the head unit to recognize the new vehicle VIN and everything should work as expected. An hour at a dealer should do the trick.

Bad news: If your SLE did NOT have XM from the factory the wiring from the XM module to the headunit is not in the vehicle, neither is the XM antenna in the roof antenna unit. The process of adding a GM XM module to a non-factory XM equiped vehicle requires the addition of wiring, the XM antenna, and the GM XM module itself. A brand new, unused GM XM module that has never been in a vehicle should work fine once the wiring and antenna are added. A wrinkle is that the GM XM modules also marry to the vehicle VIN so a used XM module from another vehicle will not work due to the GM anti-theft feature in the XM module itself. The dealers DO NOT have the ability to re-program an XM module to marry to a new vehicle.

I went through the experience of adding a used GM XM module to my '07 Saturn Outlook with the factory 6 disc changer head unit but without factory installed XM. I was eventually successful but I had access to some resources that most folks don't.

Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for that, i really will not be using the xm just the cd changer will i have a problem with that?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts