GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready for a road trip, and was wondering if anyone has mounted a CB radio in their Acadia? Looking for a good, non-permanent spot. Just looking for ideas. I know it is not 1977 anymore, but I have an older CB and I thought it might entertain the kids a little on a long road trip.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I bought a Cobra 18 I put it in the center console when I'm on the road, I use the 12 volt plug in there. I have a small magnetic antenna by the regular antenna.
If you want Pics let me know!

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
You could also try some Velcro on the flat part of the top dash & on the bottom of the unit with a cigarette lighter plug and a mag-mount antenna as insti08 suggested.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
insti08 said:
I bought a Cobra 18 I put it in the center console when I'm on the road, I use the 12 volt plug in there. I have a small magnetic antenna by the regular antenna.
If you want Pics let me know!
Heck yeah, some pics would rock. I was thinking of the center console too, but how did you run the antenna wire out of the center console?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm not for sure it would be good for the kids. Have you heard the language on CB's today?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
bg1811 said:
I'm not for sure it would be good for the kids. Have you heard the language on CB's today?
Oh good point
:eek:

And little Johnny learnd. "F$$% them sons of bi#$!#$, y'all know what I mean breaka breaka you got me"

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
bg1811 said:
So hook it up and use it when needed; I mean you control the radio not the other way around

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
happy29 said:
Heck yeah, some pics would rock. I was thinking of the center console too, but how did you run the antenna wire out of the center console?
I finally got some PICS for you! Sorry about the delay. The antenna wire will run under the carpet, underneath the back of the console and into the box. I have a hole drilled already. I need to get a longer antenna wire and it willbe done. The unit is velcroed to the side of the console.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Antenna

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the pics!!! The wire from the unit to the antenna, was it not hooked up for the pic, or did you drill a hole in the bottom of the console to run it out to the back of the truck?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Nice install for the CB radio; that could come in handy for an emergency :thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
insti08 said:
insti08: You might want to be careful where you place that magnetic mount CB antenna. The compass module is located directly underneath that location (rearward of factory antenna) in your pictures.

Two options:
1) Your compass won't work until you move the CB antenna to a different location.
2) Your compass might work, but only if you calibrate it each time you move the CB antenna.

FYI only.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Thanks Ray! I don't have a Nav system and I took out my mirror that had the compass in it. This is definetly great info to have. I will put it in my Acadia need to know file. I move my Garmin from car to car.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Magnetic CB antenna mount Acadia?

When I got my Acadia I put a magnetic antenna under the hood, stuck to side
of vehicle on passenger's side. I had dealer run antenna wire to inside of vehicle
and after few months solder new CB connector on. (used some antenna and
setup in my Envoy.) Well I went to use short time ago, and got antenna out
to stick on hood on passenger's side.........and antenna fell off twice...what the
hell..........I had no clue that Acadia hood was composite! :banghead:

So now I need to move antenna to roof (don't know if it is composite too?),
or have a bracket mound made. I see a bolt in this area for a ground and to
hold bracket to vehice and when hood is closed it will also help hold it in place.

I would like it here so no wire is run up on hood or out the window!

Anyone done this type of mount on a Acadia?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Mr.
My magnetic Antenna stays on at speeds over 55! It's mounted on the roof!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
You might want to visit diamondantenna.net and look under products. Their K550 is multi axis and you ask them if can make for 3/8 X 24 thread use. Or for fiberglass antenna usage which come in 2, 3, and 4ft length. They might list their retail stores and web stores. I bought my K400-3/8C via webstore for my other car plus their extra length coax with CB connector. You have to be careful what you order and did mine over the phone as the radio shop I talked to have experts. Expect to pay $100.00+ for this type mounting system + cable. I also have their K400 mount for scanner antenna usage. As you know for CB , solid mount, with best top load fiberglass antenna, with correct SWR, makes for peak performance, IMO I took all my stuff off for entertainment as don't spend 2 hours per day on the freeway anymore. You get what you pay for.

I thought about buying CB mount for the wife's Acadia and use earbuds when traveling, for entertainment now and then. I don't need the CB anymore. The Galazy DX 929 CB I have is 3 years old and bench tweaked/tuned. Anyone interested, e-mail me.

Good luck with your antenna/mounting selection.

as

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I went and got smaller CB (Radio Shack) in fit into center console, and a Radio Shack Magnetic antenna for my Acadia.
I have also just got my Ham license (Have CSCE now) and while looking for Ham radio vehicle antenna mounts have found some that could adapt to hold a CB antenna too.

Teetertotter, thanks for info about that web page. Just check and lots of Ham stuff too....neat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I"ve got my ham license and am using a handi-talking with a mag mount that's run out the door to the roof.

What type of antenna setup are people using? Mag mount? Hole-in-the-roof?

How was the coaxial cable run to the center console or wherever the radio was?

Inquiring minds want to know.... ???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts