GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have had my AWD 09 Traverse for almost 3 weeks with now just coming up to 700 miles on the odometer. I continue to notice the odour of "rotten eggs". I have done some searching on these Lambda forums and haven't seen much of anything re problem CATs. There are no CELs being thrown so I am just wondering i.e. hoping that it might be just a symptom of the engine and CAT just 'breaking in'. Anyone else experienced similarly? I'd rather not go to the dealership if possible. I bet a CAT isn't a stock item.

What do you think? Should I wait it some more?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I'd try changing brands of gas for a couple of tanks and see if this helps. I've not experienced this nor have I read about it here.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I agree, switch gas stations. Try to find one the sells large volumes, that way the gas is fresh in their system. Also never fill up at a gas station if the refueling tanker truck is there, it stirs up the sediment on the bottom of the fuel tanks under ground and they you get to be the lucky one that pumps that trash into your tank.

Give a different stations fuel a try and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestion but our cars only get SHELL gas. For this is a top tier gasoline. In fact the first couple of tanks for the new car was V Power.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
copperbeech said:
have had my AWD 09 Traverse for almost 3 weeks with now just coming up to 700 miles on the odometer. I continue to notice the odour of "rotten eggs". I have done some searching on these Lambda forums and haven't seen much of anything re problem CATs. There are no CELs being thrown so I am just wondering i.e. hoping that it might be just a symptom of the engine and CAT just 'breaking in'. Anyone else experienced similarly? I'd rather not go to the dealership if possible. I bet a CAT isn't a stock item.

What do you think? Should I wait it some more?
My experience with this smells means the cat is going out or is gone, but seems unlikely on an 09. I would take it in to the dealer

·
Registered
36 Posts
Maybe it's where you are parking it that you are just noticing the smell. My car is extremely smelly when I start it in the gargage. I wait until everyone is in and doors are closed before starting it and backing out. (Not that I would make a habit of starting a car and leaving it running in the garage) :)

Are you noticing it after starting and when the system is hot?

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have a very vague memory of this complaint from very early on ( and I have been here from very early on - hence the vague memories). I believe that the problem did go away. Give it two more weeks. And go on a road trip some Sat. and open the sucker up for a while. You really don't have much mileage on it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sandman said:
I believe that the problem did go away. Give it two more weeks. And go on a road trip some Sat. and open the sucker up for a while. You really don't have much mileage on it.
+1.

I am the original poster and now after 1000 miles the odour is not as evident as in the beginning. I wont contact the dealer until 3000 mile mark (if necessary).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts