GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy a kayak, and eventually hope to buy a second one for my wife. I'd love to know about your setup on our Acadia's factory rack, and if you have pic's that would be great too!

·
Registered
681 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the links (been there) but neither one addresses my question re: a kayak. They discuss cargo boxes, racks, and soft bags.

No one has hauled a kayak yet on their roofrack? Seems like the Thule's and Yakima's rely on their own 'base system'. I'm looking for something reasonably priced that works with factory roof racks ....

·
Registered
230 Posts
I haven't hauled mine yet on my Acadia, but I have one set of "vertical" racks that I used before on my Trailblazer for one kayak, and one set of foam blocks that I used for the 2nd kayak. I'm not sure of the brand name of my vertical ranks, but they mounted quite easily to the cross-rails of my Trailblazer, and the cross-rails of my Acadia look very similar to those of the Trailblazer. One kayak stands up on its side, while the other lays flat on the foam blocks. I think it will work, although I have yet to hit the water this summer.

·
Registered
524 Posts
It really is a great store. I'm glad it was helpful.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Where in the front of the Acadia do you anchor the tie down straps for a Kayak?
If I tie it under the air-dam, then it will end up bending the air dam.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
darrink1 said:
Where in the front of the Acadia do you anchor the tie down straps for a Kayak?
If I tie it under the air-dam, then it will end up bending the air dam.
As a follow-up to my initial question ... and to answer/commment on darrink's question above, I bought the Thule 580 Stacker. It consists of a pair of vertical uprights that clamp to the factory crossrails. It is capable of transporting 2 kayaks (on their sides). I used it last weekend to bring home a 12 ft. Pungo from MA back to NJ.

To secure the kayak, I used the included thule straps that do an excellent job securing the kayak between the thule upright columns and the factory crossrails. I tied the stern down with the included cord to an eyelet on my rear hitch. Since there really is no way to do a front tie-down (as darrink states above) without bending or cutting the lower plastic shroud, I eliminated the front tie down with no problem whatsoever.

I'll be setting up the Acadia for another trip in a few weeks and will take some pics.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just finished 3 days of kayaking. I dont have the luggage rack rails yet, so I used a stap kit that has foam blocks for the kayak to rest on. I unscrewed the radio antenna and ran the front straps down around(under) the air dam to the engine mount frame. It turns out that you dont need very much tension on those straps anyway, so the airdam facia bends just a little (not permanent). It worked out very well, I was worried for nothing. Maybe when I install the rails, I wont need to unscrew the radio antenna and wont need the front straps. I'm hauling a 2 man 13' 63lb kayak

·
Registered
230 Posts
:worthless:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed two Thule Portside 825 sets - $120 each at REI for my two yaks. Neither the Thule Fitting Guide nor webpage would confirm that the 825 (or similar 855) is compatible with the Acadia, so I installed them in the REI parking lot, just in case....

Using the longer of the two bolts included, the racks fit nicely with the factory cross bars. My only issue was not finding a place to tie the boats down to the front of the car, which makes me a bit uneasy. Perhaps, an after-market hood ornament will do the trick. ;)

The Thule unit provides simply rope and a hook; spend the money and get a rope with plastic sleeves for finish protection, and the tightening ratchet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts