GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the cargo shade work? I am thinking about getting this option so that my cargo area won't be visible if anyone looks in. Is it easy to put on and take off. Does it just fold up or is it on a reel that winds up? How does it attach to the vehicle?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I havn't had mine out - but it is a cloth like thing that you attatch to a few hooks around the back cargo area.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I thought it was wierd at first as I was expecting the kind that roll out. But I like this better because when you are not using it or need to remove it, it will fold up to about the size of a t-shirt versus a long roll mechanism. That being said, I would not have added it if it wasn't already in my package. I think the tints in the back do a good enough job.

-Donny

·
Registered
228 Posts
Curious... does the cargo shade work regardless if you have the 3rd row up or down?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks for posting this...I was wondering about it..

Adam

·
Registered
282 Posts
I added it as an option (my wife wanted it) but it is not what i expected. It only works with the third seat down.

·
Registered
159 Posts
IScubaSlo said:
Any pictures of the cargo shade out there?
Here are some pictures, just "installed" mine today. Kinda worthless in my opinion.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Dawgdaes said:
I love how you have that box of baby toys that fits perfectly between the two captains. An how it matches the leather seats.
Thanks! The box for the toys was a must!!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
What's the dimensions on that toy box? I'm trying to figure out just how wide that gap between
the captain's chairs is, as I forgot to take a tape measure with me on my test drive. :banghead:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Can you put grocery bags "in the net"? It looks like you should be able to throw stuff in there so it does't flop around?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Great pics. I like the cargo net. Shade is not what I expected. Probably will only use on long trips, since it looks like a pain to use on a regular basis. Not convenient like a roll one.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My sister made a great point. Her minivan has a roll style shade and the bar gets in the way of the stroller, so she always has to remove it to put the stroller in. IMO this is a great alternative. I absolutely love the net - it will keep things from falling out when opening the hatch.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Cravenfan said:
Can you put grocery bags "in the net"? It looks like you should be able to throw stuff in there so it does't flop around?
yes grocery bangs fit great in there. The wife loves the net!

·
Registered
159 Posts
linuxtwit said:
What's the dimensions on that toy box? I'm trying to figure out just how wide that gap between
the captain's chairs is, as I forgot to take a tape measure with me on my test drive. :banghead:
My wife found that little toy box at Wal-Mart, surprise, surprise and it's cloth with a metal frame. The dimensions of the box it self are 17 3/4 long by 14 3/4 wide. As you can see below the width is a little tight but it works. You could probably go for something 13 inches wide and it' fit perfect.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Donny said:
I thought it was wierd at first as I was expecting the kind that roll out. But I like this better because when you are not using it or need to remove it, it will fold up to about the size of a t-shirt versus a long roll mechanism. That being said, I would not have added it if it wasn't already in my package. I think the tints in the back do a good enough job.

-Donny
Well I don't think they should be charging anybody for this shade, but I do like it. After 3 SUVs in a row (Jeep Cherokee, Ford Explorer, Jeep GC) with the roll up shade, I had decided I hated those things long ago. One, it takes up a lot more room rolled up than you think. On a trip when you drop the seats for luggage, you either have to take it down or work around it-- what a pain. A lot of time the tension is high and if you don't get them latched right, they can snap back. Lastly, if your item you want to hide to too tall, you can't use the shade, for that reason, I often kept an army blanket to drape over items.

This shade, while cheap as hell, folds to nothing when not in use. While you do need to have the 3rd row dropped to attach all the corners, I was driving around town with my laptop bag, and I just attached the back two, and slid my laptop back there under it, and it was completely hidden.

What I can't figure out is, what is the purpose of the pocket? stick receipts in? First I thought maybe the shade could fold itself into the pocket, but it is a poor design for that. Maybe the cargo net could go in there.

But overall, I am much happier with this than I would be with the retracting shade type.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks. :thumb: Looks like my small cooler should fit perfectly between the capt. chairs :cheers:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Would have been nice to have floor hooks and optional floor net for securing large parcels/boxes/ a weeks worth of groceries like many other SUVs have . That posterior vertical net sack ( just like in my '97 Vette ) will hold three bags of groceries max. And like my old Vette , which had the the same flimsy fabric -type security cover , I hope the Acadia's doesn't billow and make flappy noises at speed with windows cracked even slightly open.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts