GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is my new ride. Pretty much knew i wanted an Acadia when they first came out. Just waited for the right time. Had to have the black of course. This vehicle was perfect for my family, i have 2 boys and none of us wanted a mini van. We wanted something with style and elegance. But we also knew we were going to customize a little. Now you can't really customize a mini van. So here she is with some alterations done. First is the custom grill, it's a honeycomb grill in chrome with no GMC logo. It just gives a cleaner look. Next are the amazing Gianna wheels. These are the 22 inch x 9.5 Roulettes. Had to search for blanks which was not easy but finally found them and they were custom drilled. I wanted a really flashy wheel with a pretty full face to cover brake discs. Mission accomplished! These wheels get a lot attention. The finishing on them is top notch by Gianna.

Inside is the Kenwood 5120 stereo. This has all the bells and whistles such as DVD, navigation , TV tuner , ipod control. Up on the roof is a 17 inch lcd screen. You don't have to squint to see a picture on this one. We have a Sony Playstation connected to this for the boys.

In the back we have some bass. There are 2 x 12 inch subs in custom box. The subs are by Almani, they sound awsome. In the Acadia is a secret compartment and this is perfect for your amp. In the compartment we mounted the 1200 watt amp by Performance Technik. Also we mounted a 1.7 farad capacitor by Performance Technik. Everything fits perfect.

Enjoy the pics and I'll update as we do more!

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
wow, i can say your acadia is really "amped" up! awesome. thanks for posting pictures.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Now that is certainly one pimped-up ride! I'm guessing you don't do a whole lot of grocery shopping in that vehicle. Nice pics.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Very nice man!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Looks good. Where did the grill come from and how was the install?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dla said:
Looks good. Where did the grill come from and how was the install?
[/quote

This is the grill off of Ebay. They go for around $140 plus shipping. Beware the grill does not fit like a glove. I think other members here have complained also about this. You have to take out the dremel and grind away the tabs for the screw and contour the edges to fit. Not easy if you haven't used a dremel before. Professional install will cost you more than what it is worth. I am just handy so after customizing it did fit nicely as seen in pics. Caution tape edges of grill before install, it's a little rough, you don't want to scratch the paint.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hunt said:
Now that is certainly one pimped-up ride! I'm guessing you don't do a whole lot of grocery shopping in that vehicle. Nice pics.
Groceries no problem, just drop the rear seats and you have more room than your car trunk.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Poolman, that is a piece of work. All I can say, is if you ever roll through Indianapolis, you gotta get ahold of me. I would love to see (hear)(feel) that ride in person. Love those wheels. I could never get away with it, but think they are pretty sweet. :notworthy:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great looking Acadia. I like that amp install a lot - do you have any problems with heat dissipation in the storage area?

I've been struggling with how to put subs in there as well. Unfortunately I'm not sure I can do it without getting "The Wrath of the Wife".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
katan said:
Great looking Acadia. I like that amp install a lot - do you have any problems with heat dissipation in the storage area?

I've been struggling with how to put subs in there as well. Unfortunately I'm not sure I can do it without getting "The Wrath of the Wife".

Thanks man, that compartment is perfect for your amp. It's hidden and not in your way. I really haven't had any problems with heat dissipation as of yet. But I was concerned of that before the install. The amp I have has a shut off at overheating. This amp heats up a lot pushing the subs but it has not shut off on me yet. Mind you if your out for a 2 hour drive who knows. I haven't taken the car out for that long and constantly listening to music that loud. I love music but even I can't take that thumping for more than an hour. Usually when the mood hits you turn it up! Also I like some easy listening stuff as well so on the Kenwood with a push of a button the subs are turned off.

For mounting subs I think if you remove the little side panels and whats underneath that you could mount a pair of 10 inch subs. Of course you would need to make a custom panel on top to make everything neat. I chose the box because with a simple quick connect or disconnect of two wires the box is removable. This just makes it easier when the wife says enough is enough you don't have to tear everything out.You can even sneak it back in when she's not looking.(Kidding)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sadida011 said:
I see that your using the Kenwood 5120 can you still use your On Star with that unit?

Yes you can, make sure you use the proper module to keep your onstar, chimes and power shutoff when you open the door.My onstar works but you lose the dispay for navigation on the deck. You still can talk on the phone or ask for directions and get audible directions but no display on deck. This is no big deal because the navigation and turn by turn directions on the Kenwood 5120 are fantastic...... No need for the Onstar navigation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did you install the Nav in yourself ? and do you have the Module number ? Where did you get your knewood ?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
250 Posts
POOLMAN, i thought i saw your ride passing! well, i first heard it, and then saw a black acadia passing by. i'm not sure its you because i did not saw the grill. :cheers: i am also from vancouver :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
preytor said:
POOLMAN, i thought i saw your ride passing! well, i first heard it, and then saw a black acadia passing by. i'm not sure its you because i did not saw the grill. :cheers: i am also from vancouver :)
Cheers man, I don't see a lot of Acadias in Vancouver but if you heard some thumping most likely it was me, hopefully we will cross paths again. Happy driving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sadida011 said:
Did you install the Nav in yourself ? and do you have the Module number ? Where did you get your knewood ?

Thanks for the help
The Kenwood should be available at any of the big box electronic stores. Have it installed by a professional and they would know which module to use. If they don't know what your talking about I would recommend not installing your deck with them. I would also look into the Kenwood 7120 it's a very nice unit. Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts