GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and am in the market for an Acadia. This forum is a great resource!

I am trying to decide whether to get the second row with the two captains chairs or with the three seat (60/40) bench. If I get the bench seat, can I put two car seats side-by-side on the 60 side of the bench, so that I can still fold up the 40 side to get access to the third row?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
I hate to disagree with Kelly since he is such a great guy, but I believe you can put two car seats side by side. It's just that the middle doesn't have the lower latch so you would have to use the H-clip supplied with all car seats and the top anchor for the middle seat. The other disadvantage to this is that you couldn't slide the seats unless you were sliding both of them at the same time. You also couldn't get into the back seat because the 40% side couldn't flip do the smart slide thing.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
coloradoGM said:
I hate to disagree with Kelly since he is such a great guy.
Why thank you. ;D I must say, my kids are well past car seats, so I have no personal experience trying them in the Acadia. I'll defer to you, Joe or others who have an Acadia with a second-row bench and a car seat to try.

Kelly

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm so sorry if this is a dumb question, but won't the 40 side of the bench slide if the seats are on the 60 side of the bench?

Again, sorry if that's a ridiculous question!

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
JacsMommy said:
I'm so sorry if this is a dumb question, but won't the 40 side of the bench slide if the seats are on the 60 side of the bench?

Again, sorry if that's a ridiculous question!
Not a dumb question, and you are right. The question is whether you can fit two seats on the 60% portion without impeding the movement of the 40% portion.

Kelly

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Colorado's answer was a bit misleading. Jacsmommy's original question was whether 2 carseats could fit on the 60% side and STILL allow the 40% side to do the smart slide thing. While ColoradoGM is suggesting it IS possible to squeeze two carseats onto the 60% bench, the overhang would prevent the 40% bench from moving. So kjf's original answer of "no" is correct.

Bottom line - If you need two carseats in the Acadia and still need access to the third row, get the captains chairs. That's the whole point of them to us. It's one of the rare "minivan-like" functions you can get in this thing that's not available in most other crossovers. I'm surprised this isn't THE standout feature for more people w/ 2 youngsters. It was probably the #1 selling point to us...

·
Registered
182 Posts
admin said:
Colorado's answer was a bit misleading. Jacsmommy's original question was whether 2 carseats could fit on the 60% side and STILL allow the 40% side to do the smart slide thing. While ColoradoGM is suggesting it IS possible to squeeze two carseats onto the 60% bench, the overhang would prevent the 40% bench from moving. So kjf's original answer of "no" is correct.

Bottom line - If you need two carseats in the Acadia and still need access to the third row, get the captains chairs. That's the whole point of them to us. It's one of the rare "minivan-like" functions you can get in this thing that's not available in most other crossovers. I'm surprised this isn't THE standout feature for more people w/ 2 youngsters. It was probably the #1 selling point to us...
Same here, we wanted the roominess of a minivan's interior with the syling of a well-designed, fuel efficient SUV. ;D

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Agreed. Out of everything I've read on this forum, the surprising number of people trying to find reasons not to get the capts is, by far, the most shocking to me. Now there's a LOT to like about these Acadias, but vehicles with 2nd row bench seats are a dime a dozen. Without that requirement, we had TONS of suvs and cuvs to choose from. If these didn't have the capts chairs, we would not have even considered it, this site wouldn't be here and I'd probably be reading a Pacifica forum right now. (-shudder-) I realize that not everyone has the same needs as us, but for those who DO have multiple child seats, I would think the capts chairs would be a godsend, considering how rare they are in the crossover world.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You are correct, definitely[/color] would do Capt chairs if I had two full-size care seats. Luckily with only one still in a car seat, I was able to do the bench and go for more seating (funny thing - when they get out of car seats they start wanting to bring friends along - hee hee). My bigest selling point for the Acadia over the others is the cargo space behind the thrid row - I couldn't find any other Crossovers that had this -- and I really didn't want anything as big as Yukon XL.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ELGmom hit the nail on the head. I'm trying to think ahead for when carseats, strollers, and giant diaperbags are no longer a part of my day, and I would have liked the extra seat. However, it seems the better option for my immediate needs is for me to get the captain's chairs if I want both kids within arm's reach in the second. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
310 Posts
My thinking is on trips, when I am sitting in the back watching a movie too, the bench will be more spacious and with the nice center armrest-- overall a the bench is a great bargain at $-495. We only have 1 tricycle engine, and won't have more, so no 2 carseat issues.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
admin said:
Agreed. Out of everything I've read on this forum, the surprising number of people trying to find reasons not to get the capts is, by far, the most shocking to me. Now there's a LOT to like about these Acadias, but vehicles with 2nd row bench seats are a dime a dozen. Without that requirement, we had TONS of suvs and cuvs to choose from. If these didn't have the capts chairs, we would not have even considered it, this site wouldn't be here and I'd probably be reading a Pacifica forum right now. (-shudder-) I realize that not everyone has the same needs as us, but for those who DO have multiple child seats, I would think the capts chairs would be a godsend, considering how rare they are in the crossover world.
Vehicles with 2nd row bench seats may be a dime a dozen, but other vehicles with second row bench seats and usable third row seats simply don't exist, at least in my experience. I spent a couple of hours last Thursday in the third row of a GMC Yukon. That was not a pleasant experience. :eek: By the way, my teenagers unanimously voted for the second row bench over the captains chairs. They like the room to spread out. I, for one, am very glad for the option. Choice is good. ;D

I think I'll start a poll on this.

Kelly

·
Registered
523 Posts
kjf said:
admin said:
Vehicles with 2nd row bench seats may be a dime a dozen, but other vehicles with second row bench seats and usable third row seats simply don't exist, at least in my experience. I spent a couple of hours last Thursday in the third row of a GMC Yukon. That was not a pleasant experience. :eek: By the way, my teenagers unanimously voted for the second row bench over the captains chairs. They like the room to spread out. I, for one, am very glad for the option. Choice is good. ;D

I think I'll start a poll on this.

Kelly
You don't have to tell me how bad the back seat of a Yukon is, you know those pics of me in Moab yeah I got there from Denver in the back seat of a Yukon. It sucked, all 5 hours of it sucked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Over the weekend, I took an Acadia home to test out the various car seat options (we have 2 infants and one in a toddler seat). We were able to put both of the infant seat bases on the 60 side of the bench and put the toddler seat in the 3rd row. We then folding the 40 side down, making it so our toddler could walk back and climb in his seat and we could still reach him.

Not really sure where those that said you can't put 2 seats on the 60 side got their information, but based on my personal experience, it is possible.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
231 Posts
KidsGalore said:
Over the weekend, I took an Acadia home to test out the various car seat options (we have 2 infants and one in a toddler seat). We were able to put both of the infant seat bases on the 60 side of the bench and put the toddler seat in the 3rd row. We then folding the 40 side down, making it so our toddler could walk back and climb in his seat and we could still reach him.

Not really sure where those that said you can't put 2 seats on the 60 side got their information, but based on my personal experience, it is possible.

Hope this helps.
Glad to hear that will work for you. We did the same setup in my wife's Yukon - 2 seats on the '60' part of the bench, and the '40' part folded down for easy access to the back. Of course, the Yukon has the room for it. Our experience was that it really depended on what carseat and/or booster seats you were using. Some worked well, but others were just a little too big to be able to fit.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just tried out my car seats on the bench. I have a fwd facing convertible seat and 1 booster and they just barely fit on the 60% portion of the seat. Moving the 40% portion did bump the booster seat a bit but it still moved. My convertible seat is fairly wide. I would probably never use both seats on the 60% portion (mainly to avoid fights.) Luckily the booster is easy to take in and out if we need to slide the seat forward to access the 3rd row.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts