GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're getting ready to pull the trigger on an '08 or an '09 SLT2 and I have a question about the captains chairs...

There will be two car seats in the 2nd row with a 2 and a 3 year old and I'm concerned about my ability to have my seat in a comfortable position (I'm 6'1"). We use a Jeep Grand Cherokee for road trips now and when I put my seat back even the smaller of the two kids is still able to kick the back of my seat.

What's been your experience? Will we have enough room with the captains chairs all the way back or should I revisit the minivan question (shudder).

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have car seats in both 2nd row bucket seats with no issue (I'm 6' 2"). I currently have the 2nd row seats at the rear most position to maximize leg room but I can move them up to maximize 3rd row leg room and still shouldn't have any problems. Pretty big interior.

As long as you don't have your seat back like a lo-rider, you should not have any problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We have car seats in both our captians chairs, and have great room. They technically can reach to put their feet up on the back of the front seats, but a little training and discipline goes a long way. ;) But we have a Toyota Sienna mini-van as well and the same applies to that vehicle. They just have to be trained to keep their feet down. But the kids LOVE the new Acadia.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Great question and I'm hoping the same answers would apply to the bench seat too. I'm leaning towards a bench for our '09 order. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I agree with everyone here. However, it is a significant purchase. I would take the time to drag the family along with the 2 car seats to the dealer. Take an Acadia with the interior configured like you want out for a test drive with the entire family. That is the only way you know you will be satisfied, and for the price you will pay, it will be worth the test.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I find my 3 year old can usually reach the seats if he tries (stretching out his legs, though), but theres a lot of room with the captain's chairs all the way back, unless you sit really far back. Also came from a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and find the difference in space is significant. Even in the forward position, there seems to be ample space. One thing I did notice early on, though, was that the black leather showed a lot of dirt on the seat back from my son's feet (not unexpected), but we got seat back protectors (by Safety 1st, I think) which work well and don't look too bad.

One perk you may discover for the little ones that we never had on another car --- the cup holder built into the rear door handle. Fits a "sippy-cup" and other small bottles. My son loves the independence it gives him.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Leg room blows. I got two little ones and they can touch the front seats. Forget the handy Thule garbage back that hangs off the rear of the front seats. It's in the kids' laps.

And don't even talk about the third row...

Is there a better vehicle in same style? I doubt it. But it doesn't create leg room in my Acadia...

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a 5 year old in the 2nd row captains chairs. With the 2nd captain chair pushed in it's rearmost position, she can just barely kick the driver's seat.

Regarding comments about the 3rd row. I doubt there's is another "mid-size" 3 row suv (because that's the space the Acadia competes in) that has a 3rd row as roomy as the Acadia.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree Rufio.
Unless you drive "gansta" style with the front seats all the way back and the middle row in its forward most postition, there is sufficient room. My daughter is 5 and a little tall for her age and has no issues with the front seat and its "impact" on second row foot room. She can touch the seatback with her feet, but it's not as if she has to keep them in an odd position,
We've had all three rows filled with adults in the back and nary a complaint came out.
Now try that in the Pilot or Highlander and you'll definitely have complaints.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Jake_99 said:
Leg room blows. I got two little ones and they can touch the front seats. Forget the handy Thule garbage back that hangs off the rear of the front seats. It's in the kids' laps.

Is there a better vehicle in same style? I doubt it. But it doesn't create leg room in my Acadia...
I agree with you that you won't likely find a vehicle that is better. I'm amazed that you find the leg room so bad. Either we have a different car or you guys are bigger than we are. I installed the Thule garbage pack on the back of my driver seat and then sat in the rear seat behind it. I was amazed that it did not get in my way at all and very happy with the amount of room in the back.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think the amount of lean applied to the front driver/passenger seats could probably affect 2nd row leg room. I drive more upright because I found that is more comfortable for me but I see allot of people in my daily driving that prefer to have there seat in the Lay-Z boy position like my recliner at home.

Everyone has there driving preferences.

GAR thanks for the idea about the Thule Garbage Depot, where did you purchase it from?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
SEL said:
I think the amount of lean applied to the front driver/passenger seats could probably affect 2nd row leg room. I drive more upright because I found that is more comfortable for me but I see allot of people in my daily driving that prefer to have there seat in the Lay-Z boy position like my recliner at home.

Everyone has there driving preferences.

GAR thanks for the idea about the Thule Garbage Depot, where did you purchase it from?
Here is another link about this http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=3130.0

I got mine for $26.21 ($17.95 + $8.26 shipping) from
http://www.rackoutfitters.com/car-r...car-racks/pc/Thule-7033-Litter-Bin-39p773.htm

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Jake_99 said:

You may think it blows, but it blows away anything else in its class. You aren't going to find better legroom unless you go outside the class and get a Suburban or minivan - at least until the butt-ugly Ford Flex comes out.

·
Registered
681 Posts
loach said:
Jake_99 said:

You may think it blows, but it blows away anything else in its class. You aren't going to find better legroom unless you go outside the class and get a Suburban or minivan - at least until the butt-ugly Ford Flex comes out.
I have a Suburban too and the Acadia is as good as the Suburban in the 2nd row and better in the 3rd row (my twins - 2 years old - when I am driving can reach and kick the back of my seats - when the wifes is driving they cannot hit it in both vehicles), my 4 year sits in the third row of the Suburban and his legs cannot fit, he has to lift them up for me to slide the 2nd row back into a lock position, he then rests his feet on the back of the 2nd row - now he fits much better in a booster seat which we are moving him to (does not feel as safe but we want his to be comfortable to). In the Acadia he sits in the middle of the third row so there is nothing for him to kick in front of him, but he cannot reach the cup holders on the side (but his seat has some built in) we did have his seat set up on the side of the 3rd row and he had plenty of room, he asked to go to the middle so he could see the DVD screen better. Where the Suburban is better is in the storage behind the 3rd row - but the MPG really stinks :banghead:.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does anyone have an Envoy XL and Acadia?

Envoy XL are no longer made :-(

But for comparison:

Found that Acadia bench seats slight wider for middle position than the Envoy XL and the Acadia has front aft adjustment and recline.

Found Envoy 2nd row seats easier to manipulate than the Acadia (Lever 1 to fold back rest, Lever 2 to tumble seat forward). I'm always getting the carpet caught when sliding the 2nd row on the Acadia. Pain to return on Acadia as well.

Envoy XL only seats 7 VS Acadia's 8.

3rd row on Envoy much more spacious than Acadia... More leg room (even with 2nd row all the way forward)... 2 people vs 3 in Acadia.

Envoy XL has deeper Cargo area behide 3rd row.

Gas consumption about the same on Envoy Vs Acadia (4.3 I6 VS 3.6 V6). Both approx 5000 lbs. 4WD Envoy vs AWD Acadia

More powerful engine on Envoy, but like the six speed on Acadia.

Envoy XL is 7" longer than Acadia but is 4" narrower.

Envoy can tow more but has softer suspension and brakes ... handles like a bus. Acadia's brakes and Handling much better!

Envoy much more rugged Real SUV ... body on frame ... but lousy clearance (8") and long Wheel base not good for off roading.

Acadia off roading don't even think about it.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
thetoys said:
Does anyone have an Envoy XL and Acadia?

Envoy XL are no longer made :-(

But for comparison:

Found that Acadia bench seats slight wider for middle position than the Envoy XL and the Acadia has front aft adjustment and recline.

Found Envoy 2nd row seats easier to manipulate than the Acadia (Lever 1 to fold back rest, Lever 2 to tumble seat forward). I'm always getting the carpet caught when sliding the 2nd row on the Acadia. Pain to return on Acadia as well.

Envoy XL only seats 7 VS Acadia's 8.

3rd row on Envoy much more spacious than Acadia... More leg room (even with 2nd row all the way forward)... 2 people vs 3 in Acadia.

Envoy XL has deeper Cargo area behide 3rd row.

Gas consumption about the same on Envoy Vs Acadia (4.3 I6 VS 3.6 V6). Both approx 5000 lbs. 4WD Envoy vs AWD Acadia

More powerful engine on Envoy, but like the six speed on Acadia.

Envoy XL is 7" longer than Acadia but is 4" narrower.

Envoy can tow more but has softer suspension and brakes ... handles like a bus. Acadia's brakes and Handling much better!

Envoy much more rugged Real SUV ... body on frame ... but lousy clearance (8") and long Wheel base not good for off roading.

Acadia off roading don't even think about it.
I had an ENVOY XUV (funky retracting rear roof over cargo area) , which from my understanding is the same frame and chasis as the ENVOY XL. The Acadia FWD handles much better then the Envoy, has more take off power from the stop, rides much smoother, and looks nicer :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts