GMC Acadia Forum banner

Car is able to be turned off while driving??

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  OL_Shopper 
#1 ·
Just a quick question here..should it be possible to turn your key to the off position while driving? Happened to my wife today when her knee bumped the key. Maybe something i have to contact the dealer about..please advise

thanks

#2 ·
Why wouldn't you be able to shut it off? Every car I've ever driven you can shut off while driving. In some cases it may save lives; my parents had a throttle stick open one time while on the Interstate and the only way they were able to stop was by shutting it off. So I don't think it is a problem.

#3 ·
IIRC, you can turn off the engine by turning the key back one spot. This will shut off the engine but will not lock the steering column. That can only be done with the vehicle in Park. I think just about every car I had can do this.

#4 ·
On one of my old Corvairs (ignition switch on dash), you could actually remove the key from the ignition while driving! Ditto what colorado & Geo said, every auto trans vehicle with a column ignition switch has an interlock to prevent the column from locking while in gear.

#5 ·
coloradoGM said:
Why wouldn't you be able to shut it off? Every car I've ever driven you can shut off while driving. In some cases it may save lives; my parents had a throttle stick open one time while on the Interstate and the only way they were able to stop was by shutting it off. So I don't think it is a problem.
I believe the recommended procedure in such a situation would be to put the vehicle in neutral, not shut it off.

#6 ·
I'd rather shut it off than have it rev up to the limiter...and if there wasn't one you'd likely pop a piston through the hood!

#7 ·
The first thing to do is to step on the brakes! I'm not aware of any vehicle made from a Yugo to a twin turbo Corvette that the brakes will not overpower the motor. I always find it entertaining on TV shows with "runaway" vehicles with stuck accelerators.

They even did a "Rescue 911" where a woman was in a vehicle and the throttle stuck, she was driving for like a hundred miles & was lauded as a hero for her actions. I'd have done an inspection on the car and then charged her w/ reckless driving for not stepping on the brakes and turning off the motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.