GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I'm searching for a full car bra for my Acadia SLT. I can't find one in Bahrain so am thinking of getting it shipped over from the US.

I've read about the LeBra brand. Anyone have experience with this brand or are there any other recommendations?

Thanks

Al.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
I would seriously rethink about getting one of these types bras. They all will eventually scratch what you want to protect. You might consider some of the VentureShield or 3M clear bra products.

Rex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rex
Thanks for the reply.

I planned on using the car bra for single long road trips (through the desert) which I do about 4 or 5 times a year and not using it for the rest of the time.

I did see a few web sites with the 3M product but it seems it's best left to an expert to apply? I'll have to search in my country a bit more to see if there is a 3M dealer/installer.

Cheers

Al.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Al,

Hi there, I can tell you that I had the ClearShield Auto Bra installed on mine and I love it. It's virtually invisible (doorall you really see are the seams up close.) and everything that gets on it washes right off. I had a more extensive kit installed to include: bumper, hood, front fender corners, all four door edges, and the door and rear hatch grab inserts. So far, not a single paint chip anywhere (knock on wood). As for the install, I watched it start to finish and it took the guy about 3 hours to do. Some of the kits come with and instructional DVD, and I think if you are careful and follow the directions, you could do it. My full kit installed was about $425 which was a great price for the product which carried a lifetime warranty (Lumar). Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
saar said:
Hi Rex
Thanks for the reply.

I planned on using the car bra for single long road trips (through the desert) which I do about 4 or 5 times a year and not using it for the rest of the time.

I did see a few web sites with the 3M product but it seems it's best left to an expert to apply? I'll have to search in my country a bit more to see if there is a 3M dealer/installer.

Cheers

Al.
Even more so, I wasn't sure where your driving was going to be, but the desert sand would certainly get between the bra and body and seriously abrade the paint. I would think the bra would be like an orbital polisher moving back and forth grinding the sand into the paint. If you can't find the clear stuff, you would actually be better off without anything on the front, IMHO

Rex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
I had a Wolfe brand on my Z-28. It was nicer than the LeBra. Better back material, and better fit. You do need to be careful with stuff getting under it, but you should be ok for trips. Make sure you keep the area clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
I would agree with Rex, we had the LeBra brand on our Volkswagen Beetle and it scratched the the whole front end. We have the 3M product on the acadia and it is so much better. I liked the concept of the LeBra, but a friend who owns a body shop highly recommended we stay away from it. We didn't listen and the car paid the price.

Bill
:thumb:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
who1975 said:
I would agree with Rex, we had the LeBra brand on our Volkswagen Beetle and it scratched the the whole front end. We have the 3M product on the acadia and it is so much better. I liked the concept of the LeBra, but a friend who owns a body shop highly recommended we stay away from it. We didn't listen and the car paid the price.

Bill
:thumb:
I have heard this from others; although Blue doesn't seem to have any problems with his; I think he mentioned having it on only when the bugs were bad in the spring/summer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
Yeah, we had ours on all the time. The only time we took it off was to wash the car. We had a black beetle so that might have shown the scratches a little more, that thing definately did some scratching, especially in the summer when it would stretch because of the heat.

Bill
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
who1975 said:
Yeah, we had ours on all the time. The only time we took it off was to was the car. We had a black beetle so that might have shown the scratches a little more, that thing definately did some scratching, especially in the summer when it would stretch because of the heat.

Bill
I have never been a big fan of this product and now they have the film that you can apply to the front of the vehicle and this seems to be just as good or better than the bra
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Folks - thanks for the replies. Based on the feedback, I think I will stay away from the Vinyl bra and search if a local dealer has an alternative such as the 3M product or some other clear plastic material.

I wonder is taping on bubble wrap for the journey might be a cheap and effective solution? :)

Al.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
saar said:
Folks - thanks for the replies. Based on the feedback, I think I will stay away from the Vinyl bra and search if a local dealer has an alternative such as the 3M product or some other clear plastic material.

I wonder is taping on bubble wrap for the journey might be a cheap and effective solution? :)

Al.
Definitely cheap and very funny looking; as far as effective I'm not sure about that ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
saar said:
Folks - thanks for the replies. Based on the feedback, I think I will stay away from the Vinyl bra and search if a local dealer has an alternative such as the 3M product or some other clear plastic material.

I wonder is taping on bubble wrap for the journey might be a cheap and effective solution? :)

Al.
It might work short time, but you would certainly have to tape it down all over to keep from billowing up and off

rex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
I would vote for 3M clear bra. I had it on my sports car and it cost me 1K to get it installed by a professional installer. But it was expensive because of the intricate work required around the hood and front bumper. I would guess that it would be a couple of hundred cheaper on Acadia.

I just hate the look of a vinyl bra :puke:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Did anyone get the CLEAR BRA installed on their vehicles? I am interested to know how much you guys paid?

I just got a quote from a local certified installer and it was $1155 incl party and labor for a Hood, Fender and Mirror Kit and Bumper Kit
These kits can be looked up HERE[/color]

Btw, this quote was for a Denali

The headlight covers were quoted at $79 for the pair of headlights
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top