GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2008 Acadia a month or so ago and it came with the regular radio/cd player. When I called Onstar I could hear audio and see arrows on the radio telling me where I'm going. But, last week I upgraded to the navigation system and installed it myself. Now when I call Onstar I can only hear them and cannot see any visual. No one at Onstar seems to know what the problem is. Has anyone else had this problem and can tell me how to fix it? I have Onstar free for a year and would like to take advantage of it, but would like to see the turn by turn directions as well as hear the audio!

·
Registered
3 Posts
On mine, the Onstar Turn by Turn shows on the DIC, not on the Nav system. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I don't have NAV, but I wonder why would you use ON-Star (even if free), if you had NAV??

·
Registered
3 Posts
GAR said:
I don't have NAV, but I wonder why would you use ON-Star (even if free), if you had NAV??
I've noticed that Onstar has more updated maps than the factory Nav system (that whole sentence doesn't sound right to me but you get the point :thumb:)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Just a guess but I don't think any aftermarket Nav talks with the onstar box. I also don't believe this to be an On-Star problem just the perks of upgrading your radio.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
grunt9800 said:
On mine, the Onstar Turn by Turn shows on the DIC, not on the Nav system. Hope that helps.
I thought it was on the DIC too

mnorris81 said:
I bought my 2008 Acadia a month or so ago and it came with the regular radio/cd player. When I called Onstar I could hear audio and see arrows on the radio telling me where I'm going. But, last week I upgraded to the navigation system and installed it myself. Now when I call Onstar I can only hear them and cannot see any visual. No one at Onstar seems to know what the problem is. Has anyone else had this problem and can tell me how to fix it? I have Onstar free for a year and would like to take advantage of it, but would like to see the turn by turn directions as well as hear the audio!
mnorris, welcome to the forum. Please update your signature and location to assist the Forum Members with assisting you when you have questions about the Acadia. Options and stuff are helpful when you have questions about problems or ideas. Check BLUES CLUES for assistance.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
My Onstar TBT displays on my radio. But I have an SLE with no nav or DIC (Blue, stop grinning... ).

I agree, it's probably not a problem with Onstar. The new nav installed may not be set up to receive the TBT directions.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Web Raven said:
But I have an SLE with no nav or DIC (Blue, stop grinning... ).
:confused: :confused:
Took me a second, but I figured it out. NICE ONE WEB! :thumb:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Web Raven said:
My Onstar TBT displays on my radio. But I have an SLE with no nav or DIC (Blue, stop grinning... ).

I agree, it's probably not a problem with Onstar. The new nav installed may not be set up to receive the TBT directions.
To make matters more interesting, my Onstar T-B-T directions show up on the radio but not the dashboard. (so there, you're not going to get me to call it that... other name!)

Anyway - our TBT directions show up on the radio, and we have an SLT-1 (with DIC, there, I said it!). DVD video system, no navigation.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Web Raven said:

Web, here I thought this was a family friendly sight and you go leaping across the line. :angel: :D

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
coloradoGM said:
Web Raven said:

Web, here I thought this was a family friendly sight and you go leaping across the line. :angel: :D
I would like to point out that Mr. Blue is the one who started it, just not in this thread. LOL And besides, you've already cleared up that all Acadias have a DIC. Some are just inadequate. :p

·
Registered
730 Posts
DIC or no DIC, imho, if you replace a factory headunit with another factory headunit (in your case,with nav), you may need to have your dealership reprogram the unit to "adapt" with your vehicle and allow all the features to function.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Do we know if it is a factory nav. I was just assuming that it wasn't because I wouldn't pay for a factory nav when for 1500 you can get one with an 80gig harddrive(Web I don't need any sarcastic comments).

·
Registered
730 Posts
coloradoGM said:
Do we know if it is a factory nav. I was just assuming that it wasn't because I wouldn't pay for a factory nav when for 1500 you can get one with an 80gig harddrive(Web I don't need any sarcastic comments).
he might have upgraded from a regular factory cd to a factory nav headunit...but really i'm not sure..no mention of "aftermarket" or brand name leads me to think it's factory...i may be wrong.
But if it was aftermarket, there is no way of getting Onstar arrows (directions) on the aftermarket display.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry it took so long to reply. It is a factory nav and had gm dealer get rid of the theft lock now for him reprogram the unit to "adapt" is another story. All other features work on there. I could care less but my wife wants to see the directions. I guess i can take it back and ask them if they did that.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I don't understand, doesn't the Nav give you turn by turn directions. I guess you use OnStar if you don't know the address or it's not in the POIs?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes the nav gives you turn by turn. My wife likes using onstar. I took it back out tonight to get this pick of the model number. I also noticed that when i hit the voice button to add a voice signature to my home address it said voice not detected. Also the onstar voice is low but the nav turn by turn is fine because i can adjust that on the nav options. Since it was a sle model do i have to hook it up to the onstar some how? The old radio worked with it fine. or did the dealer not program it right? All the plugs are in the right spots. I have no clue

Here is a picture of the part numbers. Do i have the wrong one?

·
Registered
730 Posts
mnorris81 said:
Also the onstar voice is low but the nav turn by turn is fine because i can adjust that on the nav options.
If I remember correctly, the Onstar volume can be adjusted to a different level by adjusting the headunit volume while Onstar is "talking" (ie voicing out instructions).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts