GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 2010 AWD Acadia SLT2 has been giving us a few headaches lately. It started with a wheel bearing noise, but I couldn't pin point which wheel was the problem. I used my scan tool to pull a C0035-00 ABS code for the left front wheel speed sensor, so figured I had found the bad bearing. When I went to replace the bearing, I found that the sensor wires had been rubbing on the inside of the tire and had worm through in one spot, and that was likely the cause of the wheel speed sensor code. I'll pick up a new sensor this week and replace it to fix that problem, but I still don't know where the wheel bearing noise is coming from.
I've jacked the car up to check all four wheel bearings, but they all feel tight and don't lead me to believe they're the problem.

Is there another source of this drivetrain noise I should be looking for?

The only ABS codes are for the left front wheel speed sensor. The DIC give messages for "Service Stabilitrak", "Service Traction Control" and "All Wheel Drive Off" but I'm assuming these are all related to the bad wheel speed sensor.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Does it change sounds with lane changes? Mine diminished with a lane change. Left lane change, it went away, wound up being a right wheel bearing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've tried swerving back and forth to shift weight and diagnose what wheel it is, but the noise sounds the same all the time.

·
Super Moderator
22,977 Posts
jasonbrown48 said:
I've tried swerving back and forth to shift weight and diagnose what wheel it is, but the noise sounds the same all the time.
Wondering how the sensor wires got worn. Is there something stuck behind the wheel? :shrug:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
While off the ground, have you spun each wheel and listened with an automotive stethoscope? One of the easier ways to diagnose which is the noisy wheel bearing.

·
Registered
332 Posts
divotdug said:
While off the ground, have you spun each wheel and listened with an automotive stethoscope? One of the easier ways to diagnose which is the noisy wheel bearing.
This is probably the best way to pinpoint the problem.
You most likely will not notice any sounds or movement unless the vehicle is rolling down the road. I have replaced 2 wheel bearings of my 07 slt2 with 80k miles on them. Both were driver side bearings.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
divotdug said:
Yes I did spin all four wheels while I had it up in the air. All sound fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ray2005 said:
What is the status of the tires? Old/worn or new?
Tires are nearing the end of their life, will likely have to replace this summer. The noise was there with the snow tires on as well, and didn't change when I put the summer tires back on.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
jasonbrown48 said:
Yes I did spin all four wheels while I had it up in the air. All sound fine.
But did you listen to each wheel hub using a stethoscope? Up in the air without a load on them you sometimes need to get up and personal to hear which bearing is growling.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
divotdug said:
But did you listen to each wheel hub using a stethoscope? Up in the air without a load on them you sometimes need to get up and personal to hear which bearing is growling.
Great idea, thanks! Will try that this weekend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We replaced the right rear bearing assembly due to bearing noise. The noise went away but recently came back. The mechanic tells me now it's the rear upper control arm causing the noise. I haven't had the repairs done yet so I cannot confirm his diagnosis.

Could be similar issue for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I replaced both front wheel Bearings and still have that vibration noise at 40 mph. Could it be the inner axle shaft bearings in the transaxle? Seems unlikely but cant image where this "wheel bearing noise" could be coming from.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts