GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I park in an unheated garage during the night, and the great outdoors during the day, plugged in. When I go to leave the garage in the mornings I have to heavily accelerate to get it "unstuck" from whatever has frozen. I drive on the highway, then through snow usually to get home out in the country. Thought it was the tires sticking to concrete in garage until it happened in the parking lot - no pavement and fresh 6" snowfall.

The question I have is this: Is this brakes sticking/freezing and is this doing damage each day? They don't appear to have any issues stopping slowing during my ride, but what else could be freezing up like this and causing the sticking? I fear one day I am gonna nail that garage wall - I had it up to 3500 RPM before it "released" this morning...with audible thunk each time it releases, and yes it happens every day.

Any suggestions or should this be a dealership visit?? I haven't had the best luck so far with them...though they try, some things apparently just are not fixable (IE the seat moving)...

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Transmission :-\

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
First I've heard of this. Next time, try this:
Before starting in the garage, put the key on & place the shifter in neutral, parking brake off. Try to push it forward or backward. This will eliminate some of the possibilities. If it rolls OK, it is not the brakes. It may well be a transmission issue as jsimms has posted.

How long have you owned the vehicle & what year is it? I take it this does not happen when the outside temperature is warmer? Are all fluid levels OK? It is helpful to post your vehicle info in your signature so we don't have to ask about this- the how-to for this is in the Blues Clues link in my signature.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm in Central New York and have not seen this. I would also suspect a trans issue also. Sounds like a fluid level issue. Does this only happen on 1st start up? You can try putting car in gear, with foot on the break, and wait a 30-45 seconds to let the fluid travel through the trans. This will allow it to warm some, and fill the system if it is low, and settled. Good luck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I haven't had this problem at all and it has been the coldest winter here in years!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the input.. it isn't the transmission...it is engaged and you can feel the vehicle "accelerating" but like it is pushing on something (and no, it isn't the wall! :p). The thunk is in the lower chassis, not the engine. I had my husband come out and help diagnose, but nothing was clear. Of course the stupidly cold weather has abated now (thank the LORD!!) and it is not happening. The garage temp was minus 25C (somewhere close to the same in fahrenheit I believe) for around a month. I will let the dealership know, but I suspect I will get one of those "can't reproduce" answers.

The brakes do not seem affected, but I am having them checked to be sure.
Maybe just a design flaw...I don't think this will be a real fantastic vehicle for cold weather use as it ages, but I hope I am jumping to conclusions. I had the dead battery again two weekends in a row if I leave a radar detector plugged in to the lighter socket. I learned!

Thanks again for the advice, I guess it is a problem unique to my situation.

·
Registered
110 Posts
interesting situation... anyone think that it has something to do with the torque converter??? maybe fluid freezing?

·
Registered
912 Posts
The only issue I have had recently is that in the cold it doesn't seem to want to start right away. Our 98 malibu starts like a champ even on the coldest days but the Acadia usually takes some coaxing to get it to fire.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The brakes freeze to the rotors. No reason to worry. Mine does this also, as did my other vehicles.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
gmtech77 said:
The brakes freeze to the rotors. No reason to worry. Mine does this also, as did my other vehicles.
So for the brakes to freeze to the rotors; you would have to put the vehicle in park and then turn it off with the brakes applied? This to me seems the only way for the brake pressure to stay while the vehicle is off; although I would think at some point the pressure would relieve and the brake pads wouldn't be touching the rotors.

·
Registered
65 Posts
gmtech77 said:
Mine also had done this a few times, not sure if its the brakes or possibly the tires freezing to the ground, ether way not real worried about it.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
First I've heard of this. Next time, try this:
Before starting in the garage, put the key on & place the shifter in neutral, parking brake off. Try to push it forward or backward. This will eliminate some of the possibilities. If it rolls OK, it is not the brakes...
Seemed worth repeating since I haven't read of anyone experiencing the problem doing it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
jsimms said:
gmtech77 said:
So for the brakes to freeze to the rotors; you would have to put the vehicle in park and then turn it off with the brakes applied? This to me seems the only way for the brake pressure to stay while the vehicle is off; although I would think at some point the pressure would relieve and the brake pads wouldn't be touching the rotors.
There is always a small amount of brake pressure on the rotors, this pressure keeps the rotors clean. The freezing actually occurs on the rotor face at the edges of the brake pads. My 19" wheels really like to collect snow inside the rim, which contributes to this condition.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Didn't know that; thanks for the info

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GMTech, this sounds very plausible. I get a lot of shimmy after driving thru snow then on the highway - a little annoying, but I suspected the big bare wheels too. I am getting the brakes checked tomorrow, to see if it damaged the pads. It's been a long cold snowy winter, but I have never had this on any other vehicle, so it was a little concerning.

·
Registered
614 Posts
If you get snow or ice stuck in your rims you'll get a shimmy, especially at higher speeds such as when on the highway.
Think of how small the wheel weights are and how they make a difference when they fall off. Chunks of ice or snow will do the same, and that is cause an unbalance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts