GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the board and considering purchasing an Acadia soon. I was curious if you can actually fit an 8ft board inside. I was surprised to find out that the back window doesn't open. I was used to using this on my explorer for hauling lumber. I'm a wood worker so I often pick up a few boards here and there, occasionally a bunch. I wouldn't mind leaving the rear hatch open and tied down if I had a big load but don't really want to have to do that for a few 2x4s or something.
Thanks, Josh

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Yes you can fit a 2x4x8 in the vehicle without leaving the hatch open. 3rd row seats down, with capts chairs, the board will rest on the front arm rest. You may be able to get a 10ft with the board resting on the dashboard, but don't know that I would try it, afraid of damaging the dash storage compartment.
You are not going to be able to fit a 4x8 plywood in there even with the hatch open I believe it would be to wide.

The opening rear windows is something I miss about my old envoy. Made it nice for bringing home lumber and pvc piping without having to have entire liftgate open.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You can fit 4x8 plywood in back but you can't quite close the hatch. I made sure of this because it won't fit in an Enclave- hatch too narrow.

·
Registered
183 Posts
an 8 footer should fit. I think I've even put in a 10'. as for plywood - I haven't tried that yet.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
domtesta said:
You can fit 4x8 plywood in back but you can't quite close the hatch. I made sure of this because it won't fit in an Enclave- hatch too narrow.
Will it lay flat, without damaging the trim pieces in the cargo area? I thought I tried this without success.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
bonk1313 said:
domtesta said:
Will it lay flat, without damaging the trim pieces in the cargo area? I thought I tried this without success.
It will fit, hang out the back a bit, and in the process will scratch up your interior and rip up the rubber seal around the rear hatch. (if you are not careful - which I wasn't. :( )

·
Registered
66 Posts
GAR said:
bonk1313 said:
domtesta said:
It will fit, hang out the back a bit, and in the process will scratch up your interior and rip up the rubber seal around the rear hatch. (if you are not careful - which I wasn't. :( )
The area is about 48 1/2" wide so it is a tight fit and you have to be careful sliding the plywood in. Also, you can't have a high stack of sheets as the bump-out for the power liftgate gets in the way.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
domtesta - I totally agree. This truck/car is definitely not made for lumber hauling, but can do it in a pinch. :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Totally agree, I have learned to wrap any 10ft lengths in a towel to avoid scratches. Works great. I think I have even gotten some narrow, flexible redwood 12 foot pieces in (going on the diagonal). You can stack about 2 to 8? plywood sheets in (depending on the height). The back narrows down after about 4 or so inches.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts