GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really dont like XM and I do like Sirius and already have it on a device in my wifes car which we could move to the Acadia. Was wondering if anybody has any insight or suggestions other then putting a portable device in the cabin.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There is supposed to be a converter for new GM cars for XM to Sirius through the factory installed radio, but it is not available yet.

Second, with the pending merger, you might end-up with Sirius anyway.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If the FCA allows the merger, they will be XM & Sirius will be one company by spring of 08. They are both losing $$$ from the bidding war. They are suppose to provide a reduced cost menu for $6.95 a month for 50 channels. Of course, it does not state what 50 channels.

I am a NASCAR Fan. I purchased the XM service in 03 for NASCAR only. Sirrus out bid XM last year for the NASCAR rights. I was not happy.

I am waiting to see what happens with the merger. I won't invest any $$$$ in a conversion unless you can't live without Sirius.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3icaad2d5a9178359f1d49cd6d6a460f83

This is the latest on the merger.

Hope this helps.

Pat

·
Registered
35 Posts
Directed Electronics is the Distributor for the yet to be released SIR-GM3A XM to Sirius Adapter...

I called Directed yesterday...and they are in their books, but not in their systems...

Here is a link to a site that you can pre-order them... http://www.dogstarradios.com/sirius-connect-car-tuner-sirgm3a.html

Another hurry up and wait situation... :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Gang,

This is my first post. Just joined the group as we just picked her up on Saturday. She's a gem, too. Anyway, the driving factor behind my post is simply that I have some information regarding Sirius conversion. I had a great exchange with the folks at TSS-Radio on this very topic. I do not like XM at all. I have been a Sirius subscriber for many years and I knew going into this purchase that I was going to have to find a way to get it into the Acadia. So that you guys don't have to try to read an email exchange from the bottom-up, I'll cut and paste for you so that you can read what they have to say about the SIR-GM3. These folks know the meaning of customer service.

If you contact them directly, you'll be able to get on their "list" that will be used to notify people that the product is available and can be ordered.

I started with a phone call and the gent on the line told me that the product was in test right now and will be months before it's out. He then directed me to send an email and they would add me to the list and we hung up. I sent the email along with questions that I thought were pertinent.

In the interest of space, here is the guy's contact info that I had the email exchange with:

Droo
TSS-Radio
1348 W. Concord Place
Third Floor
Chicago, IL 60622

http://www.tss-radio.com
http://www.tss-radio.com/find_accessories

Here's the exchange:

----------
Mike wrote:
I just purchased a 2008 GMC Acadia and prefer Sirius over XM.

I am looking to utilize the current audio sytem and convert the XM to
Sirius. I am hoping the menu and functionality will do so seamlessly.

Per our conversation, I understand the conversion kit is still in
testing. Please add me to the wait list for the SIR-GM3. Feel free
to send updates to this email address as well if you guys do this sort
of thing.

Many thanks for your service. You guys are the best!

Mike
----------
Droo wrote:
Hi Mike -

I have added you to the notification list. You will receive an e-mail
when we start selling this product.

We are hearing end of summer / end of year.

If we can help you further, feel free to contact us.
----------
Mike wrote:
Thanks Droo,

Will the merger have any effect on this release? Seems to me that if
the merger goes through, this will be meaningless. I understand that
part of the requirement is to have all of the hardware that is out
today function the same. I know the company would control that with
the streams, but just curious. I'm a huge fan of Sirius and have been
for many, many years and want to get switched over without having to
buy an XM subscription when the free trial that I got with my vehicle
is over.

One last thing.....will the product come with detailed installation
instructions?

Thanks again.
----------
Droo wrote:
Hi Mike -

If the merger goes through you will still need a new tuner box that
receives Sirius (or the combined Sirius+XM services later in time, but I
suspect that box would be much later). The difference would amount to
billing. Sirius uses a different codec for their service than XM does.

The only exception to the rule would be if XM decided to use some Sirius
content on their service directly.

The kit does come with instructions to install, but it basically amounts
to finding the old XM Tuner and putting the new Sirius one in its
place. If you don't use an XM to Sirius antenna adapter, you would run
the magnetic Sirius antenna (in the kit) to somewhere on your car.

----------
Mike wrote:
This is good info. And do I understand correctly that it is best to
go ahead with a magnetic Sirius antenna because the XM antenna doesn't
receive the signal as well? I believe you guys state this on your
website?

THIS is what I call customer service. Put me in line. (I
know......you already have)

Thanks again,
----------
Droo wrote:
Hi Mike -

The magnetic antenna is a better pick than the XM Antenna. The built in
XM antenna can degrade the signal by 40%.

I did add you to the list (I re-checked just to make sure). We'll hope
it comes out soon.

----------

So as you guys can see, if you are Sirius fan, you're playing the wait game right along with me. I suspect that hardware development centered around satellite radio is at a standstill for the most part due to the proposed merger, although anyone producing these products probably wouldn't publicly admit that. It is my understanding that your head unit (stereo) display will flip and you'll see Sirius channels and menus where XM used to be. That's what I want. As I stated, when my trial is up, if this puppy isn't ready to go, or if the merger hasn't solved my problem, then the Sirius PNP receiver that I have in my truck is going to migrate to the Acadia.

I've been long winded enough. For those of you who actually read all of this garble, thanks for indulging.

Look forward to exchanges with all of you.

Mike

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I thought I had heard that you wouldn't need new equipment. Supposedly both companies could dual broadcast the content since they had enough space allocated on their satellites. Definitely not sure on this though.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I don't know, so I'll ask: What is the difference? They are the same company- I have Sirius on my Dodge and XM on the Acadia. Both seem to have about the same music channels. We only listen to SAT in the Acadia since the Dodge has a functional ipod interface as well as a built-in hard drive for music storage.

I found this interesting for this "new" product (from the most recent link above):
Note: This is a used product. We guarantee they are in working order but they do have some cosmetic defects.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
I don't know, so I'll ask: What is the difference? They are the same company- I have Sirius on my Dodge and XM on the Acadia. Both seem to have about the same music channels. We only listen to SAT in the Acadia since the Dodge has a functional ipod interface as well as a built-in hard drive for music storage.

I found this interesting for this "new" product (from the most recent link above):
Note: This is a used product. We guarantee they are in working order but they do have some cosmetic defects.
They are not fully merged yet - if they do merge and we can get everything through the factory radio that we want we would, but it's not there yet, we both prefer Sirius. That 'best of XM' package doesn't cut it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's not that I prefer one over the other. Let's face it for the most part they have the exact same offerings.

My thing is I already have a portable Sirius radio that I use in my other car and around the house, and would like a permanent radio in the Acadia (w/o the hideous 3rd party add-on look), and it's cheaper for a 2nd radio on Sirius than getting a new separate account with XM.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Thanks for the info.

We waste money via our satellite service since they offer like 2,500 music channels via Sirius (I've had to block them out for our main channel list). We don't watch TV to listen to music LOL! I'd rather pay less for the TV service (it is more than our cable & internet bill was in S. FL) and dump the music, or be able to transfer the service to one of my cars. I wonder if there is a way to trick the system into thinking my Challenger is a satellite dish? :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone done this install yet converting the XM brain with a Sirius brain utilzing the GM Sirius Connect SIRGM2L kit from www.tss-radio.com? I just bought a used 2008 Acadia and I have a lifetime subscription with Sirius that they are unable to convert over to an XM unit. So I need to convert my XM Acadia to Sirius (without attaching a plug and play screen). Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I just ordered mine! When it comes in I will have the dealer install it. And let you know!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts