GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice from current owners, which may help us in our dilema. Short story is we bought a barely used (11,000 miles) SLT-2. The sales person stated it was AWD which was important to us at the time. So next thing you know we're test driving it, signed, and took delivery. I do remember glancing at the disclosure but now am kicking myself for not looking closer. We get the vehicle home and I start crawling around in and under it...and guess what? It's not AWD! :angryfire: My stomach turned into a knot. The dealer is being pretty good with us and offered to unwind the deal, OR find us a comparable Acadia with AWD. The catch is we'll be responsible for the extra "worth/value" of this option and/or trucking fees. I don't want to spend more $$ and we're basically rolling the dice to end up with a vehicle that is in poorer condition than our current one or with more miles. We LOVE this vehicle after driving it for a week now, and I only wish it would have been as the sales person stated. Had we known it was FWD to begin with, we probably would have passed and waited for an AWD to show up.

So...with that in mind I'm wondering if we'll be OK afterall just "living" with the FWD? We live in northern WI, so winters are pretty harsh. This will be our primary family vehicle (also have a Yukon for major towing and heavy-duty stuff), we'll tow a 3,000 lb ski boat a limited amount of time behind it. Thoughts??

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well opinions are like........, well you know and everyones got one, so here is mine, after lots of searching for the acadia exactly how we wanted it, one of the major features we wanted was AWD. After several weeks and no luck, you know the game it had this option but not this one, so we finally just decided to purchase a nice blue one on the dealers lot we were originally going for a SLT1 with sunroofs and a few other options like AWD, but the one we got was a fully loaded SLT2 FWD. All this said I dont regret it a bit, and since you didnt mention where you are located, I am located in the midwest and we do get some snow, but im not worried about it in the slightest, this thing handles very well and I cant image caring about the AWD function in the winter, but Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Before ordering our Acadia I spoke with a friend who is an engineer at GM. He actually recommended to us that we go with the FWD. He said that the AWD adds more weight to the vehicle, costs about 2K more and has lower MPG. We have a 4 wheel drive GMC Jimmy for our second vehicle and honestly if the weather is that bad, I'd rather take the older car out anyway. You stated that you also had a GMC Yukon therefore you could do the same.

The FWD does have a traction control of something that has already kicked in once when I made a sharp turn onto gravel.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My dealer recommended to order the FWD. I live near St. Louis so we really usually receive less than 25" total snow a year. You might be able to use AWD in your location during severe weather.

I can't justify the cost.

Pat

·
Registered
180 Posts
I live in Columbus, OH, and found an Acadia equipped the way I wanted it, but it did not have AWD. We have some bad days each year, but I took the gamble on the FWD since it has gotten us through most situations in the past. I have had AWD/4 WD SUV's in the past, which is superior, but I felt the AWD was adequate considering the size of the vehicle and the ground clearance. I have not gone through a winter yet, so I can't give an educated opinion, but my hope is that it will do okay. The upside is that you get slightly better mileage the rest of the year.

Sorry you did not get exactly what you wanted, but I hope you enjoy it. Erik

·
Registered
102 Posts
We live in the Chicago suburbs and did get an SLT2 AWD, because it was available. However, even in Northern WI, how often does it really snow where AWD is such a big advanatge over a FWD with traction control, probably not often. I would enjoy the car and perhaps get the dealer to give you some oil changes, tire roatations and / or car washes for free or whatever else you could work out! Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Vogelm1, sorry to hear about your mix up. Like hightech said, everyone has their own opinion. We went with FWD for ours since we just got rid of an Odyssey the we lived with as our family vehicle for 5+ years without any winter issues. Granted our winters don't really compare to yours, but we always had my truck for when the snow got crazy deep and 4WD was necessary.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone - we've probably been 'over-thinking' this one way too much. It sounds like the FWD is plenty adequate, and we do have the Yukon if things get rough. We sure like the fuel economy and like was mentioned, will suffer just a bit more with AWD. If we end up not getting into the vehicle that's right for us, I sure do hope that the dealer goes to bat and throws some things in to sweeten the deal for their mistake. Thanks again -

·
Registered
542 Posts
I got the FWD because we really dont need AWD. Bonus is you will get better mileage! Not sure how well the car will handle in the great white North. As it was exaplined to me, the FWD just slips a bit accelerating from a stop on slick surface. The AWD does not slip at all under same circumstances. Who knows. I guess this winter will be the test. Very stable car on wet roads anyway. I have experienced that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Since we don't get severe weather where we live, we went with the FWD for the same reasons others have mentioned.
More MPG
Less Weight
Less Cost
Less Parts To Go Wrong
Stabilitrack
We have never had AWD or 4WD and have never once said we wish we had it.
I understand your disappointment but as others said, if it is that bad out, why not take the truck?

As far as the dealer is concerned, since he sold you a "AWD" did he price it as such? That would mean he priced it about $2k over what it should have been. Or maybe it was priced right and the salesman slipped up?
Sounds like he is willing to work with you so I would look at all the other features of the vehicle. If everything else is what you want, ask him to throw in some incentives for you to keep the vehicle.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
677 Posts
The AWD debate is a tough one. I will say this, It only add's 200lbs to the car which isnt that much for a 5k car. The mpg is average 2 lower. The system is covered by the 5/100 warranty. That all said the 08 system is very advanced but it all depends. I live in NH and get a fair amount of snow. I believe ESC will help more then AWD on most roads but I need AWD to get up my driveway!

·
Registered
20 Posts
That 210 pounds is like hauling another person around. The FWD will be quicker in most circumstances. My wife got through 3 Colorado winters in her Toyota Corolla going up and down mountains with no problems. With the ground clearance,weight and stabilitrack you should not have any problems. Just use common sense and have good tread on your tires. FWIW I went with a FWD Enclave.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool - it's great to hear all the positive comments about the FWD. The vehicle was priced at the FWD level, so that was one good thing about their mistake; and it was advertised as FWD on the disclosre, I just took my sales person's word for it and never looked close enough at the window sticker, or peeked underneath at the time. I think if our dealer can't find us an AWD with comparable options to our current one, we may just keep it...sure is a nice vehicle. But the extra incentives for the sales person slip-up would definitely make it right!

·
Registered
389 Posts
I lived in Northern Utah with two front wheel drive vehicles for 5 years. I took my little Honda skiing all the time and almost never had a problem unless they were requiring AWD to get up the canyons. But, since you have a Yukon, you have alternatives. Don't most places with bad winters have a pretty efficient program for clearing roads? I grew up in Portland OR and if it snowed an inch it was a disaster. Hey - was just watching Fargo the other night with my husband and it was pretty nasty weather - and those "Oldsmobuicks" they were driving seemed to do just fine!

·
Registered
659 Posts
compnurd said:
First, a 200lb person would have no affect on the quickness of a vehicle.
A 200lb person would certainly be negligable on performance but the penalty of AWD is more than just weight. There is also increased driveline loading losses and anytime you add gearboxes, particularly hypoid ones like the differential added to the rear, efficiency is lost. That is clearly reflected in the fuel mileage ratings and there would also be a small but similar hit in acceleration performance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
compnurd said:
First, a 200lb person would have no affect on the quickness of a vehicle.

Second, Where do you live?
I think you need to take a basic physics class if you believe that 200lbs will have no effect on quickness.

·
Registered
677 Posts
no i dont think i need to. The difference would MAYBE be from going 0-60 instead of 7.2 say 7.3 or .4, which unless you are sport racing this truck, you wouldnt notice

·
Registered
67 Posts
Tires is everything. AWD with bald tires renders the feature useless. I'd consider snow tires and FWD. Served me fine with various FWD cars - and I live in a snow belt!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I Have a 2007 SLT 1 with FWD live in Minnesota have had 4x4s before. so I have some experience!! Iam telling you you will not be diappointed with the Acadia fwd. I pull a 3000# boat bad landings an all late fall slipeery. It is not a four wheeler never claimed to be. But I love this car err crossover. Traction control works great!!!!!

DENNY

1 - 20 of 29 Posts