GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have had my silver metallic several times just use one that does not have brushes.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have a brushless carwash that has been just fine on my Acadia. They even dry it off real well when I come out. You might want to ask them to tape your rear wiper before going through and put in your mirrors also. I just open them when I come out so they can wipe them off and if they are like my car wash, they should take the tape off rear wiper and wipe down rear window after.

·
Registered
284 Posts
No car was is the equivalent of a careful hand wash, but if you must, ONLY go to a touchless.

Anything with cloths or brushes that actually touch the paint will only start creating swirl marks and such that get more progressive with time. Some that are up kept well aren't AS bad, but it's still just common sense as far as the what & why of what happens. Living in an area where most every place is a drive-thru with cloths and such, and then dryers and other things at the end, it can be hard to find anything else.

·
Registered
275 Posts
1. Run Acadia thorugh basic wash / rinse / dry cycle at a touchless. This saves you a lot of work @ home.

2. Take home, wash (to get the car-wash crap off), claybar, polish and wax.

3. Use the touchless for a few months.

Repeat.

Do not use ANYTHING that will get any kind of dirt onto the truck, and then move it around. If you use the wand self-wash car wash, do NOT use the foaming brush on your paint. Do NOT rub your paint dry. And if you do dry it by hand, use 100% cotton or microfibre cloths.

Take a cloth, dab the bottom of your shoes, and then rub it on the back of your hand. That is what you are doing to your paint every time to touch it with anything with dirt granuals on it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you use a car wash that has brushes, I would recommend to remove the antenna.

Pat

·
Registered
284 Posts
toasteroven said:
1. Run Acadia thorugh basic wash / rinse / dry cycle at a touchless. This saves you a lot of work @ home.

2. Take home, wash (to get the car-wash crap off), claybar, polish and wax.

3. Use the touchless for a few months.

Repeat.

Do not use ANYTHING that will get any kind of dirt onto the truck, and then move it around. If you use the wand self-wash car wash, do NOT use the foaming brush on your paint. Do NOT rub your paint dry. And if you do dry it by hand, use 100% cotton or microfibre cloths.

Take a cloth, dab the bottom of your shoes, and then rub it on the back of your hand. That is what you are doing to your paint every time to touch it with anything with dirt granuals on it.
Yes :thumb:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I have used touchless systems selecting only the wash and rinse cycles for years. During the salty season, it gets touchless wash with underbody wash and blow drying for $6.00. To keep your paint finish looking new using touchless wash systems for months, use a good wax and apply sealant over it every 4-6 months. Summer season, I wipe down touchless wash with a premium waffle towel and looks good as new for me. Touchless systems are for me and fortunately we have a Cadillac system in town that out does all the other cheap systems out there.
Not very many touchless systems have UNDERBODY wash with regular wash and rinse payment coupled with blow drying. Touchless was a neat invention!
:blob:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
My experience with automatic car washes is as follows.

With Brushes - Scratches the paint and if used regularly, after 5 years of ownership, the paint will have a bunch of tiny little scratches.

Brushless (the the little foam "brushes") - This too scratches the paint, but they are really fine scratches and for most people, especially with the lighter colors, the tiny scratches won't be noticed. There is a risk with these that the person in front of you just washed the mud off their 4x4 that was off road, and you will then have mud scratches after going through.

Touchless - The only problem I have with touchless is that they use very strong soap because they are not going to touch the car and to clean it, the strong soap is needed. My experience is that after about 5 washes with touchless, the wax has been stripped off by the soap.

It is always best to wash your car by hand and keep it waxed up, but the reality is that many many people don't even wax their cars at all. In the past, if you did not wash and wax your car regularly, they would rust out. Now, with cars today, you can basically let nature wash the car with an occasional rain storm, and the car will be fine for many years.

If you are not too picky about the paint staying perfect, then either the Brushless or Touchless washes will work fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts