GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dose any one out there know if cloth seats are avaliable on the SLT's. I see that Leather seats come sandard, and I dont know if I would like them.
One major concern is how hot do they get in the summer time?
Black one I know will be hot, but how about the Light Titanium Leather seats?

·
Registered
48 Posts
We wanted cloth also but GM does not offer cloth in anything but an SLE. We ended up with an SLT 2 with Titanium leather and are happy with it. Does not get hot and looks good. We live with hot summers and have had no issues. My Ford Fusion with black leather is just the opposite, very hot as was our previous family wagon with gray leather.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yeah, you can't get an SLT with cloth--leather only. But, to minimize the heat, like suggested, a lighter outside color AND the light titanium inside (very light, mixed with black) is your best bet.

On the other hand, if you still have to have cloth AND want SLT-like options, the Saturn Outlook lets you get basically everything you want and still leave leather out of the package--which is one benefit to that slightly different vehicle.

All depends, but your best bet is really to try some out, and see. And if you really do end up with the leather and an SLT, just stick with the lighter color. Leather is still leather (i.e. very sensitive to hot and cold), but a lighter color makes a BIG difference sometimes--I have (2) nearly identical Cadillacs, one with Lt. Neutral beige inside and the other with Dark Red, and despite both being light outside (one silver, one white), the one with the Dark Red just sucks up heat and holds it in a way the other car never has.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have (2) nearly identical Cadillacs, one with Lt. Neutral beige inside and the other with Dark Red, and despite both being light outside (one silver, one white), the one with the Dark Red just sucks up heat and holds it in a way the other car never has.
That is a great - a real world side by side comparison. I have seen or read several posts with people who say it doesn't matter the color, leather is leather, both get hot/cold. I was not entirely buying it. I toyed with the idea of Ebony leather for a bit but am back to Titanium because it will not be as hot. And, in Arizona, I think every bit helps.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Dark Blue and Light Titanium in an SLT2. Not too hot in Memphis, just wonderful during the last month where the highs were over 100 for like 15 days in a row.

·
Registered
362 Posts
GAS AND GO said:
Dose any one out there know if cloth seats are avaliable on the SLT's. I see that Leather seats come sandard, and I dont know if I would like them.
That's the thing about leather. It gets hot and cold and seems to hold it a bit longer than cloth. My old car has dark leather seats and, yeah, it can get dang hot (dark color car as well). I haven't noticed it too much with our Acadia (light color car w/ titanium). Cold won't be an issue with heated seats either.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have had some cars with leather and about an equal number with cloth. I used to prefer leather because cloth didn't hold up as well and of course leather smelled and looked better. I now prefer cloth. It holds up better than leather, is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. I still think leather looks better, at least when new.

·
Registered
35 Posts
GAS AND GO said:
If Leather is a deal breaker, you may want to consider the Outlook where you can get Cloth in the 2008 XR

·
Registered
117 Posts
The difference between cloth and leather is that leather has a greater specific heat. Essentially, that means leather can hold more heat (energy) than cloth.

Think back the last time you ate some pizza right out of the oven. You can eat the crust, but the sauce burns your palet. They were in the same place and at the same temp, but contrary to popular belief, it's really not the temperature that burns--- it is the heat (or amount of it).

In other words, there is more heat in leather @130 degrees than cloth @ the same temp. Water will scald you at 150, but the hot air coming off of your engine at 150 or more feels just "warm".

·
Registered
389 Posts
I know another board member said you can get an SLE and add probably most of your SLT options thru various packages. It is something I considered.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes you absolutely can get an SLE and make it the equivalent of an SLT by adding various options. We've done it on numerous occasions. If leather is the issue, I would say that that would be your best bet. :cheers:

·
Registered
362 Posts
dmann33 said:
The difference between cloth and leather is that leather has a greater specific heat. Essentially, that means leather can hold more heat (energy) than cloth.

Think back the last time you ate some pizza right out of the oven. You can eat the crust, but the sauce burns your palet. They were in the same place and at the same temp, but contrary to popular belief, it's really not the temperature that burns--- it is the heat (or amount of it).

In other words, there is more heat in leather @130 degrees than cloth @ the same temp. Water will scald you at 150, but the hot air coming off of your engine at 150 or more feels just "warm".
I was told that there would be no math... :tard:

·
Registered
48 Posts
kermitthefrizzle said:
Yes you absolutely can get an SLE and make it the equivalent of an SLT by adding various options. We've done it on numerous occasions. If leather is the issue, I would say that that would be your best bet. :cheers:
When I got mine in June this year the dealers said that the only way to get sunroofs was with an SLT package and that meant leather interior. Can you now order an SLE with sun roofs?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Mama2girls said:
I know another board member said you can get an SLE and add probably most of your SLT options thru various packages. It is something I considered.
That might have been me. Not sure what particular SLT features GAS AND GO is interested in, but I got an 07 SLE with two factory option pkgs:

Entertainment Pkg including a 6 cd changer, XM radio, Bose sound
Convenience Pkg including Automatic climate controls and rear-parking assist

A bench seat as opposed to captain's chairs was also on the option list with a $495 deduction off the original base price.

There were two on the lot outfitted this way on the day I bought. Since these covered my "gotta have" list (which obviously didn't include leather), all I had to do was pick my color and drive it home that same day without the dreaded 6-8-10-12 week wait.

Of course, who knows if they're still configuring them this way with the new model year having already started. ::)

·
Registered
99 Posts
rudykizuty said:
Mama2girls said:
That might have been me. Not sure what particular SLT features GAS AND GO is interested in, but I got an 07 SLE with two factory option pkgs:

Entertainment Pkg including a 6 cd changer, XM radio, Bose sound
Convenience Pkg including Automatic climate controls and rear-parking assist

A bench seat as opposed to captain's chairs was also on the option list with a $495 deduction off the original base price.

There were two on the lot outfitted this way on the day I bought. Since these covered my "gotta have" list (which obviously didn't include leather), all I had to do was pick my color and drive it home that same day without the dreaded 6-8-10-12 week wait.

Of course, who knows if they're still configuring them this way with the new model year having already started. ::)
I ordered my 08 on 8/31/07. I know that to get the sunroof and power liftgate you had to get an STL model - not available on the SLE. I didn't want leather seats for one and the other was cost. So I ordered my SLE with power seats and rear-parking assist packages. I wish they had one on the lot I could have driven home. The waiting is so hard, have a build date of next week though, so not too bad. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replys,
I have looked into the OUTLOOK, and posibily get the XR with cloth seats, however I dont care for the wood trim, my grandma's car had that!

I would like all the stadard features that come on the STL-2; just with cloth. But when I go thru and build up the SLE (cloth interior) on GMC's web site; I dont think you can get all of those options, ex. power mirrors, auto dimming mirrors, and eight point compass and 115v outlett, few others I cant think of right now.

·
Registered
251 Posts
GAS AND GO said:
I have looked into the OUTLOOK, and posibily get the XR with cloth seats, however I dont care for the wood trim, my grandma's car had that!

I would like all the stadard features that come on the STL-2; just with cloth. But when I go thru and build up the SLE (cloth interior) on GMC's web site; I dont think you can get all of those options, ex. power mirrors, auto dimming mirrors, and eight point compass and 115v outlett, few others I cant think of right now.
I believe you are right. The exterior mirrors in the SLE are power adjustable, but not power folding like in the SLT line. One thing you've mentioned though sparked a thought......I actually like that I don't have the auto-dimming rear view mirror. I had it in the Impala I traded on the Acadia and really hated it. It only seemed to work when the lights behind you hit the sensor "just right" and never did the job of dimming well enough for my liking. Hopefully it's something that's been improved upon in the last 6 years.

·
Registered
35 Posts
rudykizuty said:
GAS AND GO said:

I believe you are right. The exterior mirrors in the SLE are power adjustable, but not power folding like in the SLT line. One thing you've mentioned though sparked a thought......I actually like that I don't have the auto-dimming rear view mirror. I had it in the Impala I traded on the Acadia and really hated it. It only seemed to work when the lights behind you hit the sensor "just right" and never did the job of dimming well enough for my liking. Hopefully it's something that's been improved upon in the last 6 years.
And at least on the 2007s, the Power Folding mirrors were only available on the SLT-2, not the SLT-1

·
Registered
48 Posts
AH, the old cloth/leather seat issue. When will manufacturers learn there there are quite a few people that want luxury options w/o leather?

We bought seat covers, but you'd think for a 40,000 vehicle, you'd get what you wanted.

FunkD

·
Registered
389 Posts
I think there are more options for building your car thru the dealer. The website doesn't give you all the possibilities.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts