GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, maybe this is a crazy question, but could the dual skyscape sunroof be added after the fact? I have a 2008 SLT-1 that so far has been great - 6K miles on the car and not a single issue. Love the way it drives and the way it looks. When I bought it last October, I chose the SLT-1 since I was trying to save $$ (wife has been stay-at-home mom for 3.5 years for our two little girls and in this economy, that has been tough to do) and didn't see a need for some of the features of the SLT-2. The Acadia I found and bought was basically a stock SLT-1 with the only incremental option being the power liftgate. At the time, the only Acadias that had the sunroof were SLT-2s and they had a lot of other options as well that were boosting the price beyond what I wanted to pay.

Of all the other options, I would have really like to have found one with the dual skyscape sunroof - having a sunroof in San Diego is great (my last two vehicles had them) and I really like the dual sunroof aspect. So, that begs the question of whether the dual sunroof could be added to my existing Acadia, or is that just plain nonesense to even think it is possible? (ok, I know that anything is possible, but is is practical / affordable / etc.)

Just wondering - thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
you should be thankful you don't have one. If you've looked around here much i'm sure you've seen countless horror stories of leaking sunroofs.
Would be a potential leak waiting to happen on the vehicle for the rest of its life and probably very expensive to try to add. I would say very totally UNpractical.
There is a thread here somewhere i remember reading that somebody did just what you're describing, it leaked, ruined the interior and some electrical components - since it was aftermarket the car probs not covered under warranty, and the sunroof place basically trying to deny fault.... Obviously thats just a one bad experience story, but wouldn't do it in a million years.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Member tys wanted to put one in. I'm not sure if he did it or not, you might want to PM him and ask. If you go to the thread "adding a dvd" we talked about it. He wanted to add both aftermarket. His sunroof was going to open 100%. Good luck, let us know what you do!

·
Registered
540 Posts
My opinion has always been if your going to get a sunroof make it factory installed! The aftermarket installs (depending on the installer) always seems to have some type of problem from water leaks,damage to body&finish,or damage to headliner. On the other hand GM has not had much luck with the Lambda sunroofs either! This is why I ordered my SLT-2 without them. I would like to see an aftermarket sunroof installed before making a decision if I were you. Are you talking pop up or full electric ?

Bobby

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
DeForger said:
My opinion has always been if your going to get a sunroof make it factory installed! The aftermarket installs (depending on the installer) always seems to have some type of problem from water leaks,damage to body&finish,or damage to headliner. On the other hand GM has not had much luck with the Lambda sunroofs either! This is why I ordered my SLT-2 without them. I would like to see an aftermarket sunroof installed before making a decision if I were you. Are you talking pop up or full electric ?

Bobby
:ditto:

In our case, I like sunroofs and my wife does not. She especially didn't like the size of the Acadia sunroof and the lack of a solid panel on the inside to block sunlight. I had one in our '96 Bonnelville SSEi and she liked it since there was a solid panel. My '09 Challenger has the panel as well.

As for modifications to vehicles, there is a saying on another forum I belong to:

"possible" is a relative term around here... anything is possible. It's "possible" to put a whole K3500 4x4 dually truck rolling chassis under a brand new Mini body. Is it reasonable? No. Does it make sense? No. Is it possible? Yes.
These guys have done neat/weird things to all sorts of vehicles.

I think some items can be reasonably retrofitted to the Acadia, while others cannot. I would not hesitate to add the navigation unit to the vehicle. I would not be comfortable trying to add even one sunroof for the reasons jiggly and DeForger listed above. I'll add another scenario... You may find a shop that has 100% happy customers (unlikely, but we'll use that example). Due to the recession, they go out of business 6 months after your sunroof is installed. A month later, you have a leak.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, you all bring up excellent points, and yes, I had seen the threads about many people dealing with leaking sunroofs in their Acadias (being in San Diego in the middle of a decade long drought, we don't get that much rain, so I didn't consider it a big concern).

That said, I'd agree that it is probably more hassle than it would be worth and the downside of unforseen problems is probably too high. Just floating the idea. Thanks for everyone who replied -

Tom

·
Registered
26 Posts
Also I think the Roof has aerodynamic channels in the sheet metal between the roof rails are designed differently on the non-sunroof option than the ones with the sunroof option?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts