GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 acadia crossover that we bought. We had the garage install a hitch, but they only put in a 4 prong plug in , and our Graphite tent trailer has electric brakes, and round 7 prong plug. Can the acadia have a 7 prong plug harness with electric breaks put on it so we can pull our 2500 lb trailer. I hope someone can help me with this.

·
Registered
395 Posts
It definitely CAN because that is what comes on the factory trailer package. Take it back and have them install the correct one. Lots of previous posts here about trailer wiring. IIRC the 08's without the trailer package may be missing some wiring that the 07's had.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Most aftermarket installers will put in the wiring and tap off the break lights etc. On the Acadia, the 7 pin trailer wiring is run to the rear even if you don't get a trailering package. On the 2008s the connector is just above the right rear wheel well. GM sells the cable harness to go from that connector over to the 7 pin connector. I would have the dealer install the real GM solution and not some aftermarket solution tapped into the lights. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 Acadia and am running into the same problem. From all of the posts, I am trying to formulate a plan and summarize all that I have read. So, the vehicle's factory trailer wiring is run to the passenger rear and ends over the wheel well regardless of whether you purchased the towing package. From there, I need to purchase the cable from GM that runs from the passenger rear to the driver side rear. From there, I can plug in the 7 pin wiring harness that came with my hitch? Other than what is written in the owner's manual in the towing section, is there anything else that I need to do in regards to the fuse block? Also, in regards to the wire that ends above the passenger rear wheel well, is it tucked up behind a frame, in a compartment, etc? I have looked under the vehicle without luck finding it. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Based on what I am reading, it may be that the fuse block fix is expensive for 2008 owners as GM determined to no longer cover it under warranty for 2008. You may be better off just putting in an after market 7 pt wiring harness. I am not sure of the details on the expenses, but you dealer can probably tell you.

·
Registered
428 Posts
According to my dealer replacing the fuse box to make the harness work will cost over 500 dollars plus buying the extension cable and the 7 pin receptacle which is a little of 100 bucks.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
dfrank78 said:
According to my dealer replacing the fuse box to make the harness work will cost over 500 dollars plus buying the extension cable and the 7 pin receptacle which is a little of 100 bucks.
In my past life, I used to wire pickups and cars for pulling camping trailers. We did it from scratch and it was not normal for a car to have wiring if it did not have that option from the factory. I can understand that GM would not want to cover giving you the $500 fix if you did not get the option from the factory, but you may not need to pay that kind of money to be able to have what you need.

Unless I am missing something, the Acadia could be wired using an aftermarket circuit protector like http://www.usa-trailer-hitches.com/products/119176. I got a price from my dealer when I bought the car to have an aftermarket class IV hitch and 7 pin receptacle installed for $285.00. Of course, it would not have been using the factory trailer wiring, and would have been all wired by the custom shop, but it would have functioned fine. (Note: That price did not include wiring the trailer brakes. That would have been extra)

Getting it done aftermarket might be an option for you too.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The problem with that is that splicing into the wiring for trailer lights can void the warranty on the taillights. I can not understand why GM would fix the problem on 07 Acadia's and on the 08 Enclaves but say no they will not fix the 08 Acadias. Why even have the wiring there if it is not active. This blows my mind. And the way I was treated by GM customer service over this issue makes me want to stay away from GM vehicles from now on. I have never owned anything other than GM since I started driving. I am starting to understand why people are buying Toyota and Nissan. I bet there wiring works or they fix the problems....... This is some aggravating crap. Its sad when you back someone into a corner and they cant explain why it wont be fixed on an 08. :banghead:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have read post after post about intalling a factory hitch on Acadia's without trailer provisions. Especially on 2008, there is no clear cut answer on this forum. Has anyone really installed a hitch on an 2008 with success? My dealer will be attempting this add-on today using a factory hitch, harness, 7-Pin outlet, bolts (8), cover and when they get there they will add a new fuse panel and relays (if needed). We do understand that the transmission will NOT[/color] be programed for the towing and it will NOT[/color] have a tow/haul switch intalled on the dash and that the weight limit is only 2000lbs. Other than that, am I missing something? I will follow up when the job is completed with a parts list and what labor hours are involved. My only suggestion to anyone considering buying an Acadia and is not sure if they are going to tow something in the future. Get the **** trailer package!!!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have added a hitch platform and spliced my taillights for the trailer lights. The acadia does well pulling my skeeter 18' fish and ski boat. I just think GM should fix the problem on the 08's that they fixed on the 07's. I think its chicken sh*t to fix it on an 07 and then decided not to fix it on the 08. Oh by the way they are fixing the problem on the 08 Enclave's....... WTF????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts