GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far we've got about 12000 miles on our 08 SLT in 5 months. I've done the tranny reflash and it made a decent gain in the sluggishness it used to have from 20-40 mph. Anyways, I talked to a friend the other day who bought an Acadia back in Jan. 08 and he had the camshaft issue I've read about on this forum. My question is, if you encounter this problem will is show up soon or could it happen down the road. We're going to rack up 36,000 miles long before the 3 years are up as far as the warranty goes. So far we really like the Acadia, just wished it got a little better combined mileage, but I guess my question is from those who have had the camshaft issue, did it show up early in the Acadia's life?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Most are early.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Remeber Doodle, you have a 5 year / 100K mile warranty on the powertrain. But Copperhead is right, most of them have showed up early on.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Firedude753 said:
WHAT ARE THE SYMTOMS OF A CAMSHAFT PROBLEM??
You may get either a check engine light and/or service Stabilitrak message. But from what other members have posted and the info in the TSB, there's no driveability symptoms.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
GeoHawk said:
Firedude753 said:
You may get either a check engine light and/or service Stabilitrak message. But from what other members have posted and the info in the TSB, there's no driveability symptoms.
The question is jumping out at me: How or what does Stabilitrak have to do with the camshaft

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well Mine just won't crank...it turnes over, just no fire. Onstar said nothing noted! Any Ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
jsimms said:
GeoHawk said:
Firedude753 said:
The question is jumping out at me: How or what does Stabilitrak have to do with the camshaft
Hmmm, well here's a semi-educated guesstimate. ;) The Stabilitrak system incorporates, among other things, various sensors, the braking system, and the engine management system (ECM and TCM), to apply the brakes and adjust engine output as needed in order for the driver to regain control of the vehicle. If the ECM detects a problem with, say the camshaft timing (remember our engines have variable valve timing) due to the camshaft endplay problem that could affect Stabilitrak, it might shut it down and give you the error message.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Firedude753 said:
Well Mine just won't crank...it turnes over, just no fire. Onstar said nothing noted! Any Ideas?
Sounds like you're not getting fuel. Are you parked on an incline when it happens?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Firedude753 said:
Are you getting a check engine light and if you are Onstar could be able to diagnose it to a general system. They diagnosed my Envoy with a cooling problem; it ended up being the thermostat and fan clutch. Good thing I had an extended warranty; the fan clutch alone was $1200

·
Registered
614 Posts
Firedude753 said:
ONSTAR told me there was nothing wrong with our Acadia, even when it had the cylinder heads sitting on the floor in the back of the vehicle. ???

And yes, the camshafts move fore and aft and cause the Stabiltrak to send an error message. Sometimes the dealership tries to shim the camshafts, the proper way to fix them is to replace the heads and the camshaft at the same time. This MAY cause a problem with the timing chain down the road as that is also moving fore and aft with the camshaft, but should not be an issue if the problem is addressed soon enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts