GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we head out next Friday for almost 3 weeks of camping and the new truck will be parked under numerous trees of varying types. We will be in Kentucky then moving to the Smokey Mountains then on to Savanna Georgia. From there we go to Homossassa Springs Florida then down to Myakka River State Park then to Fort Wilderness at Disney World. So with all this in mind what should I wax the truck with today (still need to buy the was and wax today) to help eleviate or supress any paint damage from sap and other types of crap that will inevitably be fallin on our new truck?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would recommend a good heavy duty sealant wax as opposed to a carnauba wax. Collinite's waxes have a very good reputation for being the best in protecting your paint agains bird poop, water spots, tree sap etc. I would personally recommend Collinite's 845 IW or 476. 845 is a liquid sealant and 476 is a paste, and I've used both on my car several times. I just checked and Chris (www.eshine.ca) carries Collinite's waxes. The key thing to keep in mind with Collinite's waxes is to apply them thin, but making sure you have even coverage across your car. I usuall do 2-3 sections of the car at a time and them buff off with a microfiber towel. You want to remove it when it starts to haze up a little bit. If you apply too much or wait too long to remove, it will be a major PITA to remove. Just keep that in mind and you'll be fine.

Another thought is to also take some of that nice Riccardo's clay with you on the trip along with some detail spray and some microfibers. If you get some bad stuff on your Acadia, I would do a mist of detail spray (as long as it's not too dirty) and wipe clean. Then do another mist of detail spray and spot clay the bad areas. It should take that sap right off. You'll probably remove some of the wax where you spot clayed, but you could also take the Collinite's wax with you. Hope this helps. If you need more help, just let me know.

·
Registered
134 Posts
dj_jonnyv said:
I would recommend a good heavy duty sealant wax as opposed to a carnauba wax. Collinite's waxes have a very good reputation for being the best in protecting your paint agains bird poop, water spots, tree sap etc. I would personally recommend Collinite's 845 IW or 476. 845 is a liquid sealant and 476 is a paste, and I've used both on my car several times. I just checked and Chris (www.eshine.ca) carries Collinite's waxes. The key thing to keep in mind with Collinite's waxes is to apply them thin, but making sure you have even coverage across your car. I usuall do 2-3 sections of the car at a time and them buff off with a microfiber towel. You want to remove it when it starts to haze up a little bit. If you apply too much or wait too long to remove, it will be a major PITA to remove. Just keep that in mind and you'll be fine.

Another thought is to also take some of that nice Riccardo's clay with you on the trip along with some detail spray and some microfibers. If you get some bad stuff on your Acadia, I would do a mist of detail spray (as long as it's not too dirty) and wipe clean. Then do another mist of detail spray and spot clay the bad areas. It should take that sap right off. You'll probably remove some of the wax where you spot clayed, but you could also take the Collinite's wax with you. Hope this helps. If you need more help, just let me know.
with such a long time being on the road. are you using anything to protect the front end of the Acadia from knicks caused by tiny rocks on the road? maybe a LeBra of some sort?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
DSNY, Have a super trip. Wish I was going!! I recommend you purchase Pinnacle's Safe Scrub Bug and Tar Pad in conjunction with a good shampoo car wash. You can buy the bug pad on Auto Geek and will arrive in 3 days. Again, have a great trip and visit!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys I just picked up some Maguires car wash soap yesterday and a microfibre covered sponge. I am still waiting till X Mas for my detail kit from the in laws LOL. I just used some Maguires NXT spray wax on the truck yesterday afternoon. So hopefully that will work for a bit. As for putting anything on the front of the car no we aren't using anything but I did also put some 3M leading edge tape inside the indents of the 4 doorhandles so fingers and rings etc do not scratch it all up. I have also used it on the tailgate where the clips for the bike rack will contact the paint.

So I just ordered the wax and a sealant I got the 845 wax and the sealant to go with it and I will be taking my clay with me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.