GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you would like to have a cabin air filter (I know I would)? I was cleaning the car today and when I had the glove compartment open, I noticed something “strange” behind it. I dropped the clove box by removing two pins and found the tray with no filter in it, just a cheese metal mesh screen. The tray looks perfect to just drop a filter in. I’m surprised GM didn’t give us one. I took the measurements of the tray (see pictures below) and now we can have fun looking for the filter to fit in there. ;D

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
Interesting, Obviously they are planning ahead for one, or at least trying to catch the dead bugs before they get to the fan inlet. I wonder if the Buick will have a filter in that spot that we can use?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I did some research and found this on Grainger site. For that size in a disposable fiberglass metal grille it would be $3.01 each. I have no doubt this filter will be pricey when it comes out. Does anyone have any idea which material is most appropriate? There is a disposable polyester media (no fiberglass).It is $4.10 each for this one. Any Idea's?http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/static/rc_customfilters.html

·
Registered
425 Posts
I thought all expensive cars nowadays had the cabin air filter. My wife's 2001 Olds Silohuette even has a cabin air filter. I believe it costs us something like $30 to have it replaced (and installed).

·
Registered
812 Posts
??? i thought most cars have their cabin filter already even if its a cheap one not just an empty screen.... this is strange? it seems some assembly tech forgot to put one on yours, could someone please verify if they have the same situation? thanks :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just checked my Outlook and there is only the mesh screen similar to ones on house windows.
I had some leftover universal replacement activated carbon-prefilter which I cut to fit the screen. This stuff is less than a 1/4" thick and comes in a sheet 16.5" x 48". It's designed for portable air cleaners like ones that go on a desk. It isn't restrictive and will offer an extra layer of filtration. In the portable filter on my computer desk, the pre-filter does an excellent job of trapping dust and lint. It uses the same cylinder-style fan used in the car.

I've attached a photo of the filter installed and a picture of the box the filter material came in.

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
I think GM cut out the filter to save money, like in most cases. Our 02 Venture had two filters and it clogged up with all kinds of stuff. It was located in the same area, right behind the glove box. If nothing is available looks like I will be making my own. I'll have to go home and get the Acadia away from my wife long enough to see. ;D

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had ait filtration in my Impala. IMHO, it was the most useless feature I ever had on a car. I never noticed any difference between the air being pumped through that car versus any other car I had ever owned.

Besides, all you have to do is drive with the windows or sunroof open (as often as I can)........and so much for having clean filtered air.

·
Registered
542 Posts
My wifes Mazda has a filter. Supposed to change every 30K. The manual gives you no idea where it is located so we have not done it. Not worth going to the dealer and dropping the car off for that. Seems like a pain to have to disassemble the dash to replace a filter. Not worth the effort in my opinion.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Keith said:
My wifes Mazda has a filter. Supposed to change every 30K. The manual gives you no idea where it is located so we have not done it. Not worth going to the dealer and dropping the car off for that. Seems like a pain to have to disassemble the dash to replace a filter. Not worth the effort in my opinion.
Now that you mention it, I can recall at first that I had entertained the idea of changing the filter in the Impala. But I learned that in order to get to it you had to open the hood, remove the weather stripping along the cowling, remove the filter, place the new one in, and glue the weather stripping back into place.

I didn't like the idea of messing with the weather stripping and potentially creating water issues that didn't exist before. That was when I decided to go with "The Keith Plan". ;D

·
Registered
659 Posts
scotted73 said:
I just checked my Outlook and there is only the mesh screen similar to ones on house windows.
I had some leftover universal replacement activated carbon-prefilter which I cut to fit the screen. This stuff is less than a 1/4" thick and comes in a sheet 16.5" x 48". It's designed for portable air cleaners like ones that go on a desk. It isn't restrictive and will offer an extra layer of filtration. In the portable filter on my computer desk, the pre-filter does an excellent job of trapping dust and lint. It uses the same cylinder-style fan used in the car.

I've attached a photo of the filter installed and a picture of the box the filter material came in.
Where did you get this filter material?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Where did you get this filter material?
[/quote]

I picked it up at Target for about $10.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Any concerns about reducing air flow on the climate control?

I had three Saabs with the pollen microfilters, but would not have paid to change them were it not for the free maintenance they offered.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm not really sure if would make a huge difference in the air flow? Just installed mine today and haven't gone out driving yet.
I got this huge piece ( enough to make at least 10 cuts ) for $7.99.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dede said:
How many of you would like to have a cabin air filter (I know I would)? I was cleaning the car today and when I had the glove compartment open, I noticed something “strange” behind it. I dropped the clove box by removing two pins and found the tray with no filter in it, just a cheese metal mesh screen. The tray looks perfect to just drop a filter in. I’m surprised GM didn’t give us one. I took the measurements of the tray (see pictures below) and now we can have fun looking for the filter to fit in there. ;D
My '01 Sierra PU had an air filter and it was a PIA to change. Also, here in SE Texas if you ran the air on "recirculate" it developed this awful smell. My new '07 Sierra does not have it--I think GM decided it was not working.

To those of you sticking a filter pad in there, don't forget to take it out if you find yourself needing warranty repair on the HVAC system--I am sure the dealer would say "unauthorized mod".

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried to get the "cabin air filter" out from behind the glove box, but it seems to secured. Below is a pic of what mine looks like. Seems a little different that the previous posts. I wonder if GM changed it to avoid placing anything in there? My acadia was built in December 07.

There are two screws, but they face to the side and are very hard to access. Not sure if they would get me in or not.

Any input on how to get this open would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
812 Posts
it always mystified me why the Acadia has no cabin air filter???? ???

Even an $18000 dollar car has a decent cabin filtration system. Looks to me GM had too much in their cost cutting effort that adding an air filter would bump the Acadia prices by 2 grand..... :angryfire:

The cabin filter should be there to prevent these foul smell from developing and keeping your duct work clog free.... not to mention giving you a clean air to breathe.

Once i recieved mine, this will be the first mod that im gonna do!!!

·
Registered
542 Posts
One more thing to fiddle with. My other car has a cabin filter and the car stinks and I suspect mildew in the cabin filter (havent changed the filter). Not even sure where to look. Supposed to go to the dealer for it. I see no need for one more maintenance item. Dust is going to get in the car anyway via open windows, sunroof. They make this stuff called Windex. I hear it works pretty well.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts