GMC Acadia Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GMC Terrain 2021 Acadia Denali Ultimate
42 Posts
Dealerships should have them, (eventually), just got this tsb from my dealer today,
#21-NA-142 Font Material property Receipt Parallel Paper product Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Looks like the solution is to replace the pads with redesigned pads, something at least one poster with the issue didn't want to hear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New 2021SLE grinding intermittent noise when braking..called GM because dealer was clueless. GM gave me a case number and said they are aware and are making new brake pads some time
in June..they say no safety issue..anyone else?
Taking my 2021 with 1,100 miles in the AM to the dealer. Brakes sound as if they are metal on metal grinding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is a national back order on the new brake pads to allegedly fix the issue they're having with the brake noise. They will not pay for aftermarket pads to be placed on the cars but they will do it at the customer's expense if requested. Funny thing is, there are no aftermarket brake pads for a 2021 GMC Acadia at this time. I demanded that they resurface the rotors and burnish the brake pads and replace them until the new ones are received. This is the first general motors vehicle that I have purchased in the last 15 I have never had these types of issues with any of my Toyotas or lexus. It's a sad day in America when American workers and American factories stop production because they are waiting for a chip from china. I will repost the results after my repair.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
...It's a sad day in America when American workers and American factories stop production because they are waiting for a chip from china. I will repost the results after my repair.
It's common in manufacturing in many fields, not just the electronics industry.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
It's common in manufacturing in many fields, not just the electronics industry.
Agree. . . there have been delays or shortages for months now just from manufacturing plants for everything from snow blowers and now to the smaller non zero turn lawn tractors. Nothing to do with chips, but in many cases engines and other smaller parts.
Used lawn tractors and some walk behind mowers are fetching higher prices here anyway.
For whatever reason. . . there seem to be enough of the zero turn mowers. I thought maybe because of price, but even the larger 48", 50" and 54" lawn tractors can't be found new in the usual places here and many of them are in the $2,500 to $3,500 range.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
That's probably steel supply partly. We just got awarded a project of around 65,000# of steel. Our main condition for acceptance was if they would allow a steel grade substitute. They're aware of the supply issues and signed off on that no problem.
As for waiting for parts from China, haven't pretty much all electronics in American vehicles used at least some electronics from overseas... pretty much for as long as we've all owned vehicles?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
That's probably steel supply partly. We just got awarded a project of around 65,000# of steel. Our main condition for acceptance was if they would allow a steel grade substitute. They're aware of the supply issues and signed off on that no problem.
As for waiting for parts from China, haven't pretty much all electronics in American vehicles used at least some electronics from overseas... pretty much for as long as we've all owned vehicles?
Indeed, I remember seeing certain throttle body, ESC and early ECM electronic components from China in the late '70s or early '80s come into a plant I worked in. A neighbor of mine who worked for the vending machine company the plant had noticed, so I told him I'd ask.
[NOTE: The boxes of Chinese parts were stacked on skids along the main isles in the plant for anyone to see.]
When I raised the question, I got "invited" into the plant managers office when I asked about why we were getting the parts in from China.
The answers was, "We have to do it to remain competitive and control costs since basically all competitors were also getting parts from China."

Reactions: Grantv

·
Registered
1 Posts
New 2021SLE grinding intermittent noise when braking..called GM because dealer was clueless. GM gave me a case number and said they are aware and are making new brake pads some time
in June..they say no safety issue..anyone else?
My husband just brought his 2021 Acadia in for the same reason and was told there is a recall on the brake pads. Sounds like the recall just came out.

·
Super Moderator
22,412 Posts
Having same issue. Appt is next week. In the meantime, Safe to drive or not?
Simple answer is - Yes. The brake noise described in this thread is only an annoyance. You'll be fine driving the vehicle as long as the brake pads are good and the pedal feels right.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Acadia Denali
2 Posts
Recently purchased a 2021 Acadia SLT. Have only 1200 Miles on it. Started experiencing random brake noise at about 600 miles. Noise occurs when braking easy or hard. Problem may not occur and then suddenly show up. Took vehicle to dealer and was told GM was aware of the problem but has not issued a service recall or fix. Dealer basically said to live with the problem as there may or may not have a fix coming and certainly had no date. After driving new 2013 and new 2017 Buick Enclaves with no issues, I am flabbergasted that GMC would put a vehicle on the road with these kind of issues. Obviously the design criteria and quality of the Acadia is much lower then the Buick in my opinion. I also have XM radio issues, transmission, and electronic parking brake issues with this vehicle.
I would like to know if other people are experiencing this noisy brake issue.
I have a 21 Acadia Denali with 4000 miles and the same annoying brake noise. I first noticed the noise with 1000 miles or so. The service department gave me the same lame answer. It’s hard to imagine that GM released this vehicle with this condition. Manufacturers have been designing and releasing brakes for decades. You’d think they would have discovered all the kinks by now.

·
Super Moderator
22,412 Posts
I have a 21 Acadia Denali with 4000 miles and the same annoying brake noise. I first noticed the noise with 1000 miles or so. The service department gave me the same lame answer. It’s hard to imagine that GM released this vehicle with this condition. Manufacturers have been designing and releasing brakes for decades. You’d think they would have discovered all the kinks by now.
It's possibly nothing more than a batch of brake pads that weren't properly manufactured and slipped through QA/QC inspection. Not all vehicles are affected by this condition. GM doesn't manufacture the brake pads, BTW.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Acadia Denali
2 Posts
It's possibly nothing more than a batch of brake pads that weren't properly manufactured and slipped through QA/QC inspection. Not all vehicles are affected by this condition. GM doesn't manufacture the brake pads, BTW.
I doubt that the issue is caused by a defective batch of pads. Of that was the case I believe that GM’s dealer network would have that information would replace the pads with good ones.
Someone mentioned that the metal composition of the disc changed to remove copper. If that is correct I suspect that it’s related to the integration of the new disc, the composition/recipe of the pads and possibly the harmonics of the entire system.

·
Super Moderator
22,412 Posts
I doubt that the issue is caused by a defective batch of pads. ...
A lot of brake problems are caused by the driver. Some people fail to 'cure' brakes properly on new cars, or after installing new pads. Could easily be the case with those having problems in this thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I now have just about 2000 miles on my 2021 Acadia SLT and the brake noise issue continues. When I had it in to the dealer in May I was told that GM was aware of the issue and there was a TSB with more definitive information coming in June. I have not heard anything at this point and am fed up with the noise. If it is an issue with only some Acadia's as some people have suggested then GM should know what the fix is and issue a recall to resolve the problem. If they are ignoring the problem (shame on them). I intend to raise the issue with the dealer again this week to see if any progress is being made. If anyone has updated info, please post.

·
Super Moderator
22,412 Posts
... If anyone has updated info, please post.
The only thing I've seen is bulletin PIT5812. The problem is not just an Acadia thing. Search the 'net using that number as your keyword and see what other 2021 GM vehicle owners are saying about it. One forum entry suggests the fix won't be available soon because of environemntal issues recognized by the government of California. The post was quite comical.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts