GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I let the one we wanted slip away because the dealer wasn't playing nice on my trade in. So now I'm ready to begin my search again and found exactly what I wanted but its in Houston and I'm in New Orleans. Anyone know if dealerships trade between each other that are that far away from one another? Or do I drive ot Houston and buy there? Can I pay my Louisiana sales tax in Texas? I realise this is an added hassle for both myself and the dealer but if I'm spending this kinda money I'd rather get exactly what we want.

Here's what I'm after:
2009 Red SLE-1
Black Cloth - 7 passenger
DVD Ent.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to ask. I know the Saturn dealer we had looked at had like a 500 mile limit. Perhaps if not, you could work out the deal with the other place via phone & some emails.

Seems reasonable to pay the tax in one state- most retailers do this. We pay it here in FL when we register the vehicle, although most dealers want to do this with the tag transfer so they can charge you hundreds (and take a couple of weeks in our case) for something the state charges just a few dollars for and is done in one day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You should pay no state sales tax in Texas. When you register in your home state, you will pay your LA sales tax.

Just for information, in GA we pay the sales tax amount where we live regardless of where we purchased the car. Different counties and cities in GA have different sales tax rates. But regardless of where you buy in GA, you pay your local sales tax rate.

I have bought several cars from my brother-in-law in Ohio and never paid sales tax in Ohio. When I registered the vehicles in my home state, I then paid my local sales tax.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
same here in LA if I'd buy in another part of the state I'd pay my local sales tax rate.

I guess I'd have to have the cash to pay the local taxes, no way to get that financed in with the car if I buy out of state I guess.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same issues in January when purchasing my Acadia. The one I wanted was in N. MS and I am in NOLA. After 3 visits to the local dealer and not getting them to search on-line for the one I wanted, I did the search myself. I found the one in N. MS, received a price via internet and called and sent a deposit. By going to pick it up myself I saved on paying a transportation fee and the advertising fee the local dealer would have charged. The dealership I purchased from didn't charge any advertising fees. And I was working in the area anyway so ended up picking it up on my way through town.

I could have paid the LA taxes at the dealership when I bought the car but I opted to just pay locally when I applied for my license. The MS dealer was going to charge me tax on the total price before rebate. I actually only paid on the final cost of the Acadia - minus the rebate.

good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dom thanks for the reply...can you give me some insight on exactly what paperwork I need to bring to the DMV to get it registered and how the tax payment works(Can I write a check?). Do they give you a plate on the spot at the DMV after registering? Obviously you don't have the title do you just need a bill of sale?
Thanks for the help!
Derek

·
Registered
30 Posts
DoubleD09 said:
Dom thanks for the reply...can you give me some insight on exactly what paperwork I need to bring to the DMV to get it registered and how the tax payment works(Can I write a check?). Do they give you a plate on the spot at the DMV after registering? Obviously you don't have the title do you just need a bill of sale?
Thanks for the help!
Derek
I went to Walmart notory in the front of the store instead of DMV. Paid an extra fee for the conveninence of not having to go to DMV and stand in line. Brought bill of sale, DL, and proof of insurance. I'm pretty sure I charged it on my credit card. They would have given me a plate on the spot but she ran out that day so I had to wait a couple of days and go back to pick it up. If you go to DMV you should get a plate on the spot.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so you were able to pay the sales taxes at a Wal-Mart Notary?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts