GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer said we need to put a deposit down, understandable as I'd hate to travel and have it not be there. Is that deposit non-refundable? As in what happens if we get there and there is something wrong with it? Also how can we be assured that the vehicle we agreed upon is the one we get when we get there? Don't want any switch to take place, knowing that what we go there for isn't going to be easy to match up? Do we sign any contracts ahead of time to make sure the price doesn't change?

Vehicle has an MSRP of 39, 465 and they are quoting us 37,291 (before rebates)... edmunds invoice is about 100.00 less then that. Plus we have to figure in travel, staying over night etc...

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
cgema: I went through the same thing last year (see my signature, below, for the dates). But are you taking delivery on a vehicle you special ordered or buying one off the dealer's lot?

"Dealer said we need to put a deposit down" ... That's standard procedure.

"Is that deposit non-refundable? As in what happens if we get there and there is something wrong with it? Also how can we be assured that the vehicle we agreed upon is the one we get when we get there?" ... I was assured my deposit would be refunded if I was dissatisfied in any way. And you'll want to phone the dealership and doublecheck the vehicle is what you're expecting before you go

"Do we sign any contracts ahead of time to make sure the price doesn't change?" ... Yes, although in my case the salesperson said if any special offers came up between when I ordered and when I took delivery I'd get them, and GM did come up with some kind of refund or credit during that period and I wound up paying a few hundred dollars less than I'd signed for.

You don't say which level of trim you're getting and which options, but the price you cite and the one I paid are close to the same.

"Plus we have to figure in travel, staying over night etc..." ... Unless every single penny is precious to you, you're not going to mind that additional expense at all once you take delivery of your new Acadia and begin to feel the enjoyment of driving it home. Count on it.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Good questions. I can offer advice on some of them:
cgema said:
Is that deposit non-refundable?
Ask the dealer ahead of time- be sure this is on paper (you can fax documents before sending money). This usually has to do with the laws of the state where you are buying. I had a deposit on a Challenger in Illinois and when the deal fell through, I got my money back within a week.

As in what happens if we get there and there is something wrong with it?
It will have the regular warranty just like an ordered vehicle or one you'd buy at your dealer.

Also how can we be assured that the vehicle we agreed upon is the one we get when we get there?
In your paperwork, be sure the vehicle ID number (VIN) is recorded on it so this won't happen.

Do we sign any contracts ahead of time to make sure the price doesn't change?
I would have all terms in writing on paper.

Vehicle has an MSRP of 39,465 and they are quoting us 37,291 (before rebates)... edmunds invoice is about 100.00 less then that. Plus we have to figure in travel, staying over night etc...
You would need to compare this to the cost of ordering a new one, or buying one locally that isn't what you really want. There are a number of threads here where people did that and are spending a lot of time & money to fit stuff into their Acadia because they didn't get the model they wanted or the options they wanted when they bought it. A few hundred out of pocket to get what you want is a decent price to pay in my opinion.

It would not hurt to tell the sales people that you are serious and will incur the extra cost to buy their vehicle & see if they will knock anything off for that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you! They are saying there is a 239.00 documentation fee we need to pay...that sounds a bit high??

How does it work with sales tax? Do I pay the sales tax for my state once I register it? Or do I pay it there?

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Generally, when you buy a vehicle out of state you will not be charged sales tax. You will have to pay that yourself when you register your vehicle in your home state (at least that is how it is done in Kansas).

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Same for Texas

·
Registered
61 Posts
cgema said:
...They are saying there is a 239.00 documentation fee we need to pay...that sounds a bit high??
I think $239 is high, but not unheard of (we paid $95 for the doc fee).

Also, I'm not sure where you're at (where's Blue on this one?!?!), but if you live in a California/Northeast emissions state, make sure it has the right emissions or you won't be able to register it.

L.S.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Liquid Silver said:
I think $239 is high, but not unheard of (we paid $95 for the doc fee).

Also, I'm not sure where you're at (where's Blue on this one?!?!), but if you live in a California/Northeast emissions state, make sure it has the right emissions or you won't be able to register it.

L.S.
Thanks L.S. This is why we like to know the member's location. I realize bonk & I are sounding like broken records on this, but it really does matter in a situation like this.

Most states do not charge sales tax to purchases made by out-of-state residents. In Florida, you pay tax when you register the vehicle. Most dealers collect it when they sell a vehicle. Please be sure you are not double taxed- if the state that sells it collects the tax, you should get a credit of the same amount in your state (check applicable laws). When I bought my car hauler (here in FL to boot), I paid tax to the dealer. The tax collector tried to charge me again when I registered it. While I'm used to being double-taxed on my income, it didn't fly there. I pointed out on the receipt where the salesman had written "Tx", and showed her it was 6% of the sales price. The clerk was initially hesitant to accept it, but did and removed the duplicate amount.

Going out-of-state can get you exactly what you want1 at a decent savings without having to wait for an order. Keep us posted on how it works out.

1To date, I've bought a Chevy Astro van (purchased for price), a Pontiac Bonneville (purchased for color combo and model), and a Dodge Daytona (purchased for year and model), and a BMW 525i (purchased for my kid) from various states and each transaction worked out well.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Read his signature....it states he is in New Jersey.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Fortunately, the member has updated their location in their profile since they originally posted the question. We prefer vehicle info be placed in the signature area since there is more room there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts