GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, don't have all of the info yet, but I figured I would throw what I know out there and let you guys shed some light. Thanks so much to everyone here for all of the information you've crammed into this site. I've been lurking for a long time!

I've gotten to know someone as a client through work. Here's what he tells me he can do...

"I can get an 08 in the teen mileage SLT1 and it will run you around $31900 to $30900. I also wanted you to know that these prices are on the high side because we have to purchase it and then run the can thru our service department to make sure it is a quality car and I don’t know what our expenses will be so I like to give a price that I can adjust down pending on expenses instead of ask you to pay more if we have to do anything out of the ordinary to it."

Seems like a decent price to me... What other questions do I need to ask?

Thanks for the help. It's either go this route, or wait for the '09 to come out, check it out and likely opt for the '08 at that point...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Between 13 to 19 thousand miles. The writer was vague as to which part of the teens it would fall in. If it's an '08 I would guess on the low side, but if a saleperson owned it miles could be on the higher side of teens.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am/was considering the same -- slightly used '07/08 vs new '08/09.

Edmunds lists a comperably equipped '07 with 12k miles to be about 20% less
than invoice for an '08.

With rebates, end of year haggling, advert fees -- invoice is realistic -- maybe a tad lower.

I weighed the fact of trying to find exactly the options the wife wants in a used vehicle,
the use/abuse a family oriented used vehicle might get (how many kids meals
in the back seat -- etc) -- we think the 20% while nothing to sneeze at just might
not be worth it in the long run -- we keep vehicles until the wheels fall off.

'09s right around the corner -- Hopefully with the D.I. and a little better MPG (rumor)
and thinking about potential resale (despite comment above) -- the '09 if it can be
had close to invoice -- is the Acadia we think we will be buying.

m

·
Registered
956 Posts
If you are going to finance it, check out the rates on used vs new. It might lower the difference between the two. With the economy faltering you might see some real attractive loan rates in the near future.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For what it is worth, I just got a 2007 SLT-1 with 15K miles for $30,500. Financed 48mo at 6.75%. This was in Odessa, Tx. Your deal looks pretty good to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the responses...

No further info yet. Hopefully he'll get back to me with some more info before the weekend. Of course, I'll post it here first for everyone to check out.

My suspicion is that the vehicles they are looking at were probably rentals. Not sure if/how that changes things...

I'm leaning towards leasing now, as it can be a business expense for my wife, so that may change my take on things too. More likely to hold out for an '09, especially if the MPG will be better, but I'm going to let this play out and see what kind of offer he makes...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got an email with responses to some of my questions:

1. Where are these vehicles coming from? Rental vehicles I would have to assume?
They are rental cars, I personally like rental cars because they have to keep them up for customer satisfaction and with the relationship I have with them they won’t sell me anything that has had problems such as mechanical, damage etc.

2. Do they still have the original warranty?

Yes, it will have the remainder of the factory warranty which on GM’s is 3yr or 36,000 miles. I know they have advertised a longer powertrain warranty but I’m not exactly sure how long and how many miles.

3. What are the financing options and are there lease possibilities?
There are no special rates (such as 0% or 1.9%) on pre-owned cars, just depends on credit score and who’s go the lowest rate, which we do larger volume and get discount rates. As far as I know we do not have leasing options on pre-owned cars.

4. I guess we commit to this site unseen?
We will commit to what you want and what I can get you, but once we get it and if it is not what we talked about you can walk away. The DEAL will be the way you want it or you don’t own it.

How does this change anyone's thoughts???

·
Registered
956 Posts
When my son was going through college he worked for Enterprise car rental in his senior year as an intern. Here are some of his comments about how the cars were treated.

1. They did receive fairly regular maintenence.
2. The paint jobs took a lot of abuse from improper washing, drying and sun exposure.
3. The interiors were often spotted or stained from spills
4. Some cars were driven very hard or beat.
5. The rental companies keep the best cars to sell themselves and auction the rest off.
6. Many cars received body damage at the storage lots or in the hands of the customers.
7. He would never buy a rental car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I figured as much on the rental front, but sinc eI wouldn't be tied to buying, if the financial aspect of thsi looked good, it couldn't hurt to have them find a vehicle and look at it. If I was unhappy with any of those things, I'd back out.

I know I've rented vehicles before as well, that took little to no abuse for an entire week. For example, SUV to drive up into the mountains, ski for the week. Nobody ever even sits in the rear seats, etc...

Appreciate our input. Surely it's something to be on the lookout for...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Having worked at a rental car agency myself many years ago, I agree 100% with big bear craig. Since it was awhile ago we didn't really have many SUVs at all since they weren't the craze at the time.

I will say though that even though I wouldn't buy a rental car, having worked at one you can tell which cars are better built than others. Cheaper cars were notorious for little things going wrong with them or breaking. One example is the Mazda Protege (the boxy '92 or '93 style), had one of the worst transmissions you could get. After maybe 10k miles if we would drive it hard, within a day or two we could get the transmission to start slipping that it would chirp second gear if you floored it from a stop - always would need a new tranny when that would happen.

The Corvettes faired well surprisingly, mechanical-wise as did the Buicks but their leather wasn't the best and showed wear rather quickly. The Hummer H1s would get trashed when we would get them back - very cheaply made, little stuff breaking off all the time and the paint would flake easily. The cladded Pontiac Grand Ams were horrible interior wise with rattles but mechanicly did fine but the Chevy Corsicas were just plain crap.

Although most cars would get beat on, the majority of the cars with the exception of the Mazda Protege would never really have any real problems with their drivetrains.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And from your rental car experience, would all that wear and tear be so bad by 10K miles that you'd run the other way, even for a good deal???

·
Registered
31 Posts
I doubt the vehicle is in bad shape with only 10k on it. May have some scuffs here and there or scratches on the interior but with such a large vehicle people aren't going to necessarily beat on it like they could with a sedan or sports car.

I would still get a carfax report on it to see if anything major has occurred and inspect EVERY INCH inside and out (including beneath it). You would be amazed at some of the issues you may find/discover on an otherwise "clean looking" vehicle. You also need to check to make sure it still has a spare and jack, wheel lock (if it comes with one) and any manuals if that matters to you or negotiate that into the deal.

Personally I would never buy an ex-rental just for the fact that some people that rent cars tend to treat them as though it's their purpose to try to screw them up and do things they normally wouldn't (or let their kids) if it was their car. Then again you have people that treat their own car as if it was a rental so even buying a used car can be just as bad. I guess you could say that leased vehicles are just a long term rental also. ;)

If you feel you are getting a great deal on the exact vehicle you want and see no issues with it, go for it - we had plenty of people that would inquire and/or actually buy cars after they rented them (the more exotic ones). Otherwise, if you have time, you could continue to look for another used one that may be just as good of a deal if not better and a single owner.

·
Registered
956 Posts
brigopens said:
And from your rental car experience, would all that wear and tear be so bad by 10K miles that you'd run the other way, even for a good deal???
I think the way car is treated the first 10,000 miles is very important.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sadly I agree...womans point of view...with a man feeding the info. My husband used to be a frequent car renter and he basically said exactly what was said above....He would never buy a rental car. I would like to believe that car owners that want to keep their cars nice and for a long time would treat them well. Unlike the renters who could care less. They will have a totally different vehicle the next trip. Unfortunately flooring it or driving it hard is the life of a rental.

I believe you can take the vehicle into the DEALER and have them perform a safety check for around $50.00. This will tell you if you have a good deal or not. We bought a used Honda Wagon years ago...a salvaged pink, had a safety check done by the Honda dealer and that baby was still running GREAT when we sold it at 210,000 miles. I loved my little Honda. It had incredible gas mileage as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you havent already i would check out autotrader.com to see what kind of deals you can find in your area! If you dont mind traveling to get one then you could probalby find some better deals! Check it out!

·
Registered
164 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
scotted73 said:
If you need any more reason to be wary of rental cars, visit youtube and search for rental cars, abusing rental cars, what not to do in a rental car, etc.

It's amazing what people will do and how proud they are doing it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J636AdrdTk&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k67F0oaMK5U&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPjni8yyP9w&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa8n3_dGKYU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrWJPaTjVnk&feature=related
;D Nice job scotted73. That was exactly what I think we were all trying to say...Good job backing up you post. :thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
scotted73 said:
If you need any more reason to be wary of rental cars, visit youtube and search for rental cars, abusing rental cars, what not to do in a rental car, etc.

Point well taken. That definitely made me want to look elsewhere...

Then my objective side wanted to debate, so what do you think about these thoughts...

1. What's the likelihood one of these idiots gets his hands on the car I'm gonna buy and 2. What's the long term effect of someone being an idiot like that for the day with my future car???

·
Registered
263 Posts
brigopens said:
scotted73 said:

Point well taken. That definitely made me want to look elsewhere...

Then my objective side wanted to debate, so what do you think about these thoughts...

1. What's the likelihood one of these idiots gets his hands on the car I'm gonna buy and 2. What's the long term effect of someone being an idiot like that for the day with my future car???
Well here's a question for you....are you a gambling man??? >:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts