GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I picked up my Acadia last night and drove it home. When I got out of the truck, the smell was bad. It smells like burnt oil/rubber. I take it this is just the new components breaking in???? How long does this smell last for??

·
Registered
403 Posts
Never smelled it in my new ride. It just smells, "new". :thumb:

·
Registered
161 Posts
There were questions about this a couple months ago...the most popular answer from everyone on this forum was that the smell was coming from a coating the exhaust system has on it for protection. This should burn off in a few days and then you will simply have that awesome new car smell.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I remember this smell well. It was very noticable for probablly about a month. It is gone now (3 months later). I took the Acadia to have the windows tinted 3 days after I got it. The guys at the shop were telling me I need to take it to the dealer to be looked at because the smell was so strong. I never did. It definantely seems to be related to the exhaust system. It will go away with time.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I don't think mine ever had it but it was delivered with over 300 miles on it. Maybe it just cooked off before I got it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have noticed the smell (burnt rubber?) occasionally, especially when coming to a stop after some time driving. I can swear it is doing it less. I have 500 miles on my Acadia.

-- Pierre

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had similar smells from my Acadia. Lasted a couple weeks. Time it lasts just depends how often you drive it in the beginning.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah, I had it for 10 days or so, but thought it smelled more like plastic or [horrors!] electrical.
I'm so spooky about the Acadia's sophistication level vs reliability, my brain was prob playing tricks on me! Likely was paint or coating.

We drove it from Chesapeake Bay to Asheville & back & that cured it. There's some serious [east coast] mountain climbing east of Asheville. No prob with the 6 speed: just use +/- and you do the thinking for the car, instead of letting the car do the thinking for you [in D]. Easy peezey - kept it between 2 - 3,000 RPM while climbing & all was good. The HUD tach was wunnerful for that. The HUD was the only item wife & I disagreed on: she did NOT want it. But we settled it democratically. I was paying for the car. >:D Result totally predictable: she loves the HUD & thanks me for getting it! Back to :angel:.

·
Registered
122 Posts
extex said:
Yeah, I had it for 10 days or so, but thought it smelled more like plastic or [horrors!] electrical.
I'm so spooky about the Acadia's sophistication level vs reliability, my brain was prob playing tricks on me! Likely was paint or coating.
The plastic/electrical smell was what I remember. It goes away. No big deal.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Same here it is engine and exhaust stuff burning, some kind of coating to protect it on shipping off no big thing. I used to work on mercedes and every new car had the same smell.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Its a coating for the exhaust. When we PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) them, they smoke really bad. We test drive them to look for any issues before they go in the showroom and by the end of the test drive and getting gas put in them, they usually stop smoking, but the smell lingers for awhile.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts