GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just pulled the Acadia in to the garage after about an hour trip. The car smells like it has an oil leak and the oil is dripping on something hot. The odor is the same as when oil is spilled on a hot exhaust manifold. Has anyone else experienced this? The car has about 5000 miles on it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
it could just be the seals breaking in still i know the engines we make we use rvt sealant and it cooks for a while until its actually cured

·
Registered
264 Posts
The next time she get home open the hood and see if you see any smoke it will tell you if there is a oil leak anywhere. The dealership should be able to track it down from the smoke. If you take it in for a smell they will do not much but if yu see smoke they will move on the problem.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ours had 4.9 miles on it when we test drove it at the dealership. We ordered, so we know it was only at the dealership a day before we picked it up. We smelled a very strong burning odor and the dealership said it was normal. It was strong all day, but I haven't smelled it very much since. we only have 130 miles on it now, so it's possible I might smell it again, but they said to expect it for the first 500 miles (give or take). One salesman said when it is strong like that it typically goes away quickly, but when it's faint it seems to linger on much longer.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
161 Posts
The smell boxermom is talking about is the exhaust oil that is used during the manufactuing process. But at 5,000 miles that smell should be LONG GONE.

Have you had the oil changed yet?...or recently? Maybe they didn't get the oil filter tightened correctly or maybe they spilled a little oil on something that gets hot?

The oil filter sits right next to the exhaust manifold...when the engine is cool I would reach down there and make sure it is nice and tight. Remember...lefty loosey rightly tighty!

I can't imagine the engine having a bad seal at this point...that would be a REALLY RARE case...it's probably something simple going on...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I test drove one and we had to stop and pop the hood because the there was smoke coming from the hood. I opend the hood and could not see anything wrong. I admit there is an almosts like gear fluid smell when the car gets hot.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An update to the oil smell. I have not smelled it again since the one time I posted about it. I had the oil changed about two weeks prior to the discovery of the oil smell so maybe they spilled a little. I pulled a trailer yesterday up a mountain road and did not notice any unusual odors at all. I would think if it was going to stink it would do it when the engine is hot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts