GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well, not a lot cheaper- in fact if there is even just one error in what is included in the CXL package, then they could be equal again.

What is strange is that it says Buick is going 19" on the CXL model, I wonder if for 2008 that GM has found a way to make the 19" ride as comfortably as the 18". You would think that for the Buick, they would work on the ride being the smoothest of the 3 models.

If the price is even equivelent, then most of the time you will probably be able to get the Buick less, as unless it is my imagination, it seems like Buicks run a bit higher on rebates. The other thing is the longer bumper to bumper warranty.

Prior to the Acadia, we were looking at minivans, and I was surprised that for all the added comfort and nicer finish of the Terraza CXL over the Uplander LT3, the price would probably have been slightly less on a loaded out Terraza. I would have expected the Buick to fetch more.

THat said- I like the exterior of the Acadia more. I will have to see the interior of the Enclave to know for sure-- but from the pictures I have seen, the Enclave would present me with a problem as I doubt my wife would ever let me put the seats down to go pick up lumber at the Home Depot. Since I drive a Mustang, I do need her car for that (although if it is just 2x4s or 1x6s, I have been known to lower the top and lean wood out from the passenger seat.)

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Enclave is not very good looking.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
I agree. It's not ugly, but it's my least favorite of the triplets. I got to see all three in person, just feet apart from each other ta the auto show. It's TOO curvy. Sort of looks like that new Santa Fe or something. And besides, if that rear center console makes it to production, it would have been a deal breaker for us. The Capts chairs with center pass through was vital to our choosing this thing. Not possible with the Enclave

·
Registered
231 Posts
Re: Buick Enclave priced below Acadia after adjusting for extra standard feature

The exterior of the Enclave is HIDEOUS, in my opinion. I do think that the interior is VERY nice, however!

·
Registered
518 Posts
I am waiting to see an Enclave in person. I really want to see the interior materials and if it is indeed quieter inside.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I don't think the Enclave is ugly, but they styling is a bit "over-the-top" to some people. My wife wanted no part of it when she saw it at the auto show. Part of it I think was the Buick grill and the "I'm not old enough to drive a Buick" attitude. Her mom drives a Rendevous, which probably doesn't help....

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
NY_Joe said:
Enclave is not very good looking.
I guess I'm showing my age, but I think the Enclave looks nice (in available photos). I haven't seen one in person and didn't want to wait. Also, I was worried that pricing would be higher (I ordered my Acadia before GM released pricing on the Enclave). And I am not old enough to buy a Buick without some hesitation. ;)

Still, no regrets. I'm looking forward to my Acadia.

Kelly.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Not ugly, but just to curvy. I thinkthe the refernec eto the Santa Fe was dead on.

Now that car looks feminine.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
I am not a fan of the Santa Fe. I sat in the back seat of one at the local car show. Completely useless. Once I got in, I wasn't sure how I would ever get back out. :eek:

Kelly

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was able to see the Acadia, Enclave and Outlook at the Baltimore Auto Show. The Buick did look the most luxurious, the GMC was the toughest looking and the Saturn looked like the economy model.

If money was no object, the Buick would be my choice but with that not being the case I prefer the Acadia because of the functionality in the base model coupled with the rugged truck look and the fact that the expensive parts like leather, DVD and NAV etc were options that I don't need.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Many people love the looks of the Enclave. But to give credit where credit is due, the Acadia and Enclave should be so different that some people will strongly prefer one, and some people will prefer the other.

The 19-inch tires on the Buick will not be performance tires like they are on the Acadia. They will be more ride-oriented. I suspect the suspension tuning will also be softer. The Acadia and Outlook have the same suspension settings.

I do think I've caught and fixed some small errors since that article was written. Also note that I don't give any credit for wheel size. Running the comparisons right now, the Buick comes in three or four hundred below the Acadia, but this is entirely explained by the wood steering wheel, painted instead of black cladding, and laminated side windows. If you don't care much for any of these, the two are pretty much dead even.

Which is still different than most people expected. Before pricing was announced people thought the Buick would be significantly more expensive than the GMC.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well, now that I know that the Enclave has the 2nd row bench as an option (I had thought that with the second row console in the pictures, that they probably were not making the 2nd row bench option.)--- and that the Enclave will be here in June, my wife and I discussed for a while scrapping our order and reordering an Enclave. We want the comfort and quiet of the Buick, no doubt, and we like the woodgrain interior and steering wheel. We like everything about the Enclave look as well, except the "Waterfall" grill is a little too prominent, but it wasn't that much of a drawback. I really like the side ports above the front wheels, but as they are probably pointless like the ones on my 96 'stang, they just are a body feature.

After discussing, we decided we really don't want to wait, and we do want the HUD, which I still think Buick is crazy for not solving that one before production-- it cannot be that hard. We are going to be taking two trips before June, and I really, really, don't want to be loading up the top of the Jeep again. Plus the trips would put the jeep over 35k miles which would drop value just that much more. Time to go now...but I won't say I won't envy a little those Enclave drivers.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
mkaresh said:
...the Buick comes in three or four hundred below the Acadia, but this is entirely explained by the wood steering wheel, painted instead of black cladding, and laminated side windows.
Can you explain this a bit further? You say the Enclave is several hundred dollars cheaper than an Acadia, but then go on to say this is explained by it having these extra (more expensive) features. How does having features that should cost more explain it being lower in price?

·
Registered
211 Posts
admin- that is what i was thinking too.
i guess i forgot to post it

·
Registered
473 Posts
Re: Buick Enclave priced below Acadia after adjusting for extra standard feature

i read in the specs of the Enclave that it has a v06 but i thought it was supposed to have a v-8. Makes no sense to me.

you know what would be cool is if they stuck that good ol' northstar engine in the enclave like they have in the Lucerne. IMO

·
Registered
211 Posts
eventually it will have a V-8, maybe when it gets a "Super" model.

·
Registered
473 Posts

Gmoney_2010 said:
eventually it will have a V-8, maybe when it gets a "Super" model.
i would like a Super model too to ride with me in my new acadia ;D ;D :thumb:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rockfish said:
I was able to see the Acadia, Enclave and Outlook at the Baltimore Auto Show. The Buick did look the most luxurious, the GMC was the toughest looking and the Saturn looked like the economy model.

If money was no object, the Buick would be my choice but with that not being the case I prefer the Acadia because of the functionality in the base model coupled with the rugged truck look and the fact that the expensive parts like leather, DVD and NAV etc were options that I don't need.
Now that is a post that is about as contradictory as I can imagine.  You start with the GMC being the toughest looking and more like a truck.....it's not a truck, the whole purpose of the platform is to get away from the truck ride, feel, look, and construction.  Then you say the Saturn is the economy model.  Well, the Acadia is 2k more than the Saturn, but based upon my neighbor's Acadia and my Outlook, I can tell you that the interior quality and build is almost exactly the same, let alone that you state that the expensive options like DVD/NAV, etc. are unnecessary, that means you were economizing your purchase!  The Enclave was easily the most luxurious LOOKING of the three when they were presented at the LA show, but it definitely doesn't offer much more than the other two, except a console that negates the pass through.  Aesthetically speaking, it's a buyer's choice to pay the 2-4k more or less to get more chrome and some hood vents which don't actually work like they're supposed to, or some LED taillights that can be installed in the economy version for 100 bucks all around.  
I don't claim one to be better than the other, I just read what you typed and it really struck me that your tone is that the Outlook is less of a vehicle, but comparing them both with a drive as well as looking at them in the same driveway I'd say they're the same vehicle.  I outfitted my Outlook with every option they offer, save NAV/DVD since we wanted the disc changer, and I walked out the door of the dealership under 40k after taxes and before trade-in/down payment!  My neighbor's already thinking of trading UP from the SLT-1 to the XR AWD, and he'll actually save money in the deal! 
Kinda like the Bose system, when I offered to buy his speakers since he was upgrading them with nice aftermarket ones, we discovered that the Saturn's got these supposedly Bose speakers in the Advanced Audio Package, go figure!

·
Registered
748 Posts
I agree, the Acadia is not really a truck, it is not intended for off road use. I have seen others talk about how the Acadia might hold up when I go off road to go hunting etc... it will not hold up to well, you will be grounding out, scaping the front air dam etc... This is basically a car that has been made to look like a truck. I actually drove on a gravel road recently and I have to say the ride was really jarring (I do have the 19's though), I could not image taking it off road (the paint is to nice ;D).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts