GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started one of these threads on the Equinoxforum.net forum. The admins over there were pretty good at making the corrections and updates, or explaining why the idea couldn't be implemented (or when it would appear):

1.) The "Edit Your Post" time is too short: Right now, it appears to be set to 10 mins. What's the argument for limiting it to that short a time? 10 minutes is enough to re-read a post and correct typos, yes - but sometimes things occur to you much later than that. You shouldn't have to create another post to correct your previous post. It's more concise and efficient just to update your original post. I'd change it to 24 hours.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Gotta update that edit Time window. When replying on a phone using “Enhanced Mode”, you can’t easily see the post you’re replying to. I was just doing this, piecemeal, repeatedly editing my reply after reviewing the post I was replying to. After two edits (5-10 minutes), I was locked out! And sure, I can start another post, but that’s sloppy. Just bump that timeout to 24 hours. There’s no harm in that, and other forums use 24 hours, too.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,012 Posts
2.) “Congratulations” Virus/Trojan Pop-Up:

Was reading through the very long TEHCM thread :

*link removed*

... and had this various forms of this annoying virus/Trojan “Congratulations” pop-up appear *at least* a dozen times!!!

Had something very similar happening on the Equinox/Terrain forum, sent them a similar message, and they managed to put blocks in place to stop it.
Appears to be a problem your internet service provider should solve. Someone must be attacking their network. Had something similar happen on a computer which never touches this forum - different provider and pop-up. Took a system reset of computer to an earlier time and reboot of modem to keep it from happening again.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Appears to be a problem your internet service provider should solve. Someone must be attacking their network. Had something similar happen on a computer which never touches this forum - different provider and pop-up. Took a system reset of computer to an earlier time and reboot of modem to keep it from happening again.
+1, I don't think that is a forum issue but an issue between the user and their provider.

I'm on forums quite often and never encountered such an issue.

·
Super Moderator
19,012 Posts
+1, I don't think that is a forum issue but an issue between the user and their provider.

I'm on forums quite often and never encountered such an issue.
The giveaway is pictures posted of the same (or similar) popup on different websites.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It only happens on my iPhone running Safari in “Enhanced Mobile” mode. Never see it on my laptop or desktop machines running either Chrome or Firefox.

Was advised to “clear website history” and cache on my phone, but that didn’t stop it. Equinox/Terrain forum admins asked me to send them the fraudulent links in the pop-ups and they put in some kind of blocks to stop it.

·
Super Moderator
19,012 Posts
Then, send a PM to "admin2" of this forum. The original "admin" won't respond since he is no longer part of the forum. I'd help, but it's beyond my permissions.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PM sent. On the Equinox/Terrain forum the admins read and respond to this thread. That way everyone can transparently see what’s going on with the forum - whether it be a problem or a new idea

·
Super Moderator
19,012 Posts
PM sent. On the Equinox/Terrain forum the admins read and respond to this thread. That way everyone can transparently see what’s going on with the forum - whether it be a problem or a new idea
That's nice. This forum might have a different staff working on it. Try the 'mention' option when you post a problem - address the site's admin using the @ symbol before their screen name. It could get you a quicker response.

·
Registered
371 Posts
That's nice. This forum might have a different staff working on it. Try the 'mention' option when you post a problem - address the site's admin using the @ symbol before their screen name. It could get you a quicker response.

How did you handle the popup problem on Facebook and the online shopping sites shown in your pics?
I’ve never noticed it on Facebook - but I’m only ON Facebook *maybe* 4 times per year for about 10 minutes each time (and my usage there is very “non-specific”, I’ll call it). And those shopping sites (if that’s even what they are), are completely fabricated and/or spoofed. It’s no place or site that *I’ve* been to (directly). My online usage is very regular, predictable, and extremely limited in scope - especially on my phone. This “Congratulations” pop-up problem is a known problem, and I think I’ve seen reference to it being connected to Facebook somehow, but if it’s affecting *me* (with almost non-existent Facebook usage, AND an up-to-Date iOS), how the heck isn’t it more widespread?

UPDATE: it just happened *again* as I was reading your response on the battery life thread. That time, no scrolling. It just popped up, very late.

You know - the funny thing about this is ... it *used* to be an “Amazon” “Congratulations”, and now it’s a “Comcast” one. I’m NOT a Comcast customer. I’ve never visited a Comcast website -EVER. But I’ve recently entered a Comcast service area, so it seems to be a location-based virus/Trojan

·
Super Moderator
19,012 Posts
That's a question I can't answer. I do know that a near-identical problem has shown up on my machines and seems independent of the site used at the time. Can't speak to phone usage, though, because I don't use my phone for online 'net browsing as a rule.

·
Super Moderator
19,012 Posts
UPDATE: it just happened *again* as I was reading your response on the battery life thread. That time, no scrolling. It just popped up, very late.

You know - the funny thing about this is ... it *used* to be an “Amazon” “Congratulations”, and now it’s a “Comcast” one. I’m NOT a Comcast customer. I’ve never visited a Comcast website -EVER. But I’ve recently entered a Comcast service area, so it seems to be a location-based virus/Trojan
Find a way to "toss your cookies" and clear out everything the phone's browser uses. Clearing the cache may not be enough to solve the problem. Then, check all the security settings on both phone and browser app.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Find a way to "toss your cookies" and clear out everything the phone's browser uses. I don't know if just clearing the cache is enough to solve the problem.
Clearing cache, cookies and history doesn’t kill it. It took collection of those pop-up links and a block of some kind on the website itself to stop it. Right now, I’m only seeing it on this forum.

·
Administrator
169 Posts
2.) “Congratulations” Virus/Trojan Pop-Up:
Was reading through the very long TEHCM thread :
https://www.acadiaforum.net/24-engine-drivetrain/13888-how-replace-tehcm-tcm-transmission-module-p0752-13.html#/topics/13888
... and had this various forms of this annoying virus/Trojan “Congratulations” pop-up appear *at least* a dozen times!!!
Had something very similar happening on the Equinox/Terrain forum, sent them a similar message, and they managed to put blocks in place to stop it.
This is an ad network issue. It happens almost seasonally now and its stopped when we are able to track exactly who is serving it. One of the network partners will have let this slide through despite it being aganst our rules as well as a number of other sites on the internet. CNN's mobile site even had this running last year. When you see these popups, please report the URL you are being directed to, as well as the browser and operating system you are running (android or apple) to the site admin (admin2). These typically attack mobile apple products using safari as a browser but from time to time will also show up on android and nearly all other browsers.
-Philip

·
Administrator
169 Posts
It only happens on my iPhone running Safari in “Enhanced Mobile” mode. Never see it on my laptop or desktop machines running either Chrome or Firefox.

Was advised to “clear website history” and cache on my phone, but that didn’t stop it. Equinox/Terrain forum admins asked me to send them the fraudulent links in the pop-ups and they put in some kind of blocks to stop it.
Thanks for reporting, I have logged the link you posted/sent

Do you have the IOS software version on your phone?

@speleos - PM works better so we can make sure we get the email notification in our ticketing system.

Jeff M

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yesterday, this problem was REALLY bad! Once again, running in Mobile Enhanced Mode on my iphone 6s, ver 12.1.2, barely connected, tapped "Active Topics", and within 30 seconds the annoying pop-up took over. Then it seemed, subsequent connections, the pop-up appeared quicker and quicker, to the point where I couldn't find this thread quickly enough to post the screenshot and link before I was locked out!

But today, I figured I'd try posting the link and screenshot via desktop, but I tested the iphone first, and after repeated scrolling after tapping "Active Topics" .... no pop-up!

Was a block installed yesterday or earlier today?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts