GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd post this here to see if anyone had a similar experience. I was on a freeway on friday, suddenly the car started to jerk like it was going to stall. The engine light went on, the car did not stall but seemed to be stuck in one gear. I drove it home slowly. At home I found that the reverse gear wasn't working. The neutral was working as a low gear or some such.

This was on friday, the dealership was closed , so had I not borrowed a car from a friend I would have been without a car for the entire weekend. I get the car towed first thing monday morning, they tell me that I have to pay for the first day of car rental. I call them in the afternoon for update , they tell me the car needs to stay in the shop - they have to take the transmission apart and that they will call in the rental order first thing in the morning.
I show up at the rental, the order is not there, the rental people tell me that they were told that I still need to pay. I obviously get a little erked at this point, call the dealer, inform them that I need to go to work asap, they tell me the dealer will call me back. No call in about 10 minutes, I call again, actually get the guy that was supposed to call me. I ask him what is the holdup with my rental, he says 7-10 is their busiest time (???). I ask him, what about MY time , used some unfriendly language, but nothing you can not say on prime time television. He tells me to be professional when I speak with him. Anyway, I get my rental 40 or so minutes later. My car is estimated to stay in the shop for 5 days.

I am not sure what the purpose is for this post really. Partially it is to vent and to find out if anyone had similar experience either with similar transmission problems and also GMC dealership services. I am a bit concerned now how they are goning to treat my car after some unpleasant phone exchanges.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
There haven't been any mechanical issues with this transmission, at least any noted by GM. Just software programming complaints.

It does sound like your dealer needs a little refresher course in customer service and follow through though.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Should you have to pay for the first day car rental? Isn't that covered under warranty? My dealer won't pay if the car is in the shop one day, but if it stays two, they pick up both.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting - the guy at the dealershipsaid that if they don't determine that the car needs to stay overnight they don't cover the rental, which didn't make sense to me at all. I called GM and they said that on the first day they determine whether it is covered by warranty or not and if it is they cover it.
I don't know why the dealership guy would misinform me like this. The GM rep said he was calling the dealership and then call me back...which he has not yet after 3 hrs.
Honestly I am really not very enthusiastic about getting my car back now that it almost stalled on the freeway and that they told me they need to take the transmission apart to figure out what's wrong.

·
Registered
380 Posts
What year was the Acadia and FWD or AWD?

·
Registered
956 Posts
GM really needs to work on their dealers customer service. Some are good and others are really bad. This seems to be true of their mechanics also. I took my Acadia in to the dealer for a minor trim repair. I spoke with the service manager and he wrote it up and said he would have to order the part. That was fine with me and he said he would call me when the part came in. After several weeks I called to check on it, the service department and parts department had no record of me being in or the part ordered. The service manager never followed through with the paper work. When he took the info I was the only one there so he wasn't busy. I didn't complain I just won't go back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2007 SLT1 AWD

It is indeed insane how unprofessional they are. Last time I was there to reprogram the transmission they estimated one hour of the car being in the shop. I showed up and waited another 1.5 hours. I wonder if this kind of service is specific to GM. I didn't have to go to the dealer much before - I used to have a japanese car.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
The thing about GM that frustrates me the most is the variance from dealer to dealer. My dealership is fantastic and I buy GM products mostly because I love working with their service department. I also find their sales dept to be great too. Of course, it helps that I love GM products too.

It just makes me upset when I hear of other GM dealers not doing as well and therefore GM suffers. It sucks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got an update from dealer - they have to replace "some damaged parts in the transmission".
I wonder - did anyone had any experiences with dealer/GMC being "relatively cooperative" in getting one out of the vehicle in the light of some excessively unpleasant warranty repair...if that makes sense. Say, buying it back maybe not for the original price, but for something, say, closer to the car's private party price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts