GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
2014 GMC Acadia (70k miles)

I tried to replace the PCV valve yesterday and was shocked how difficult it was to remove. I was able to turn the valve while pulling with vise grips and using a long handle screw driver to pry upwards. The valve came out 1/4” but everything I tried afterwards (heat, penetrating oil, pulling, turning, prying, etc) wouldn’t work to get it removed. After hours of failed attempts, the valve broke fairly flush to the block (see picture). I’m not sure what the best approach is at this point. I’m considering using a small punch and trying to cave the valve inwards to reduce the diameter. Another option would be to drill it out or knock it into the block and fish it out? Any suggestions, or different approaches would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Auto part Bicycle part Pipe Plumbing Close-up

·
Super Moderator
22,412 Posts
Try a large ez-out bolt/screw extractor. Turn it while prying upward.

Reactions: Patk

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

I tried to replace the PCV valve yesterday and was shocked how difficult it was to remove. I was able to turn the valve while pulling with vise grips and using a long handle screw driver to pry upwards. The valve came out 1/4” but everything I tried afterwards (heat, penetrating oil, pulling, turning, prying, etc) wouldn’t work to get it removed. After hours of failed attempts, the valve broke fairly flush to the block (see picture). I’m not sure what the best approach is at this point. I’m considering using a small punch and trying to cave the valve inwards to reduce the diameter. Another option would be to drill it out or knock it into the block and fish it out? Any suggestions, or different approaches would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
View attachment 11075
First. . . it really isn't a PCV valve but a pressed in fitting orifice with with 2 to 4 small holes at the bottom of it. For sure, a screw or bolt extractor may work or carefully drilling but that would be a last resort.

·
Super Moderator
22,412 Posts
PCV orifice is a few more syllables than most people can handle. LOL Besides, the exterior design is surprisingly similar to the original PCV valve.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Except the orifice has no ball check valve like a real PCV valve.

·
Super Moderator
22,412 Posts

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
that looks a little different than the one on my 2010.
it almost looks like yours was inserted from inside the valve cover-- and sticks out....

while the one on my 2010- is clearly pushed into the valve cover- and the flared metal will stop and rest on the top of the valve cover.

pictures here.

·
Registered
1 Posts

View attachment 11075
How did you get it out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How did you get it out?
I didn’t realize it was in the valve cover at first, but once I realized it was, I took the valve cover off, placed it on a bench, and the used a hammer and socket to knock it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts